ADVERTISEMENT

Cleveland State cutting wrestling

boy that's a shame.i can remember years when that was a big match.

I remember when I was in college and went to a wrestling match where Penn State was up by I think 4 heading into the final match. PSU's heavy was hurt and the other team had a highly ranked heavy. Penn State had a guy bump up a weight and he gave up a lot of weight. The PSU wrestler lost, but kept it to a regular decision and penn state won the match.

The crowd went wild for the losing wrestler who won the match for PSU by keeping it close.

Pretty sure it was against Cleveland State, in the early 80's. Can anyone else add more details?

I just did some research, PSU was up by 5 and the loss was a MD. PSU's "unlimited" that night was Kirby Wood, who had wrestled at 167 earlier in the year. The wrestler from Cleveland State was Matt Ghaffari, who went on to win a silver medal in the Olympics. PSU won the match 22-21.

I was there. Yeah, the amazing part was sending out someone that wasn't close to being a heavy. It wasn't pretty...

PSU did this in the late '70s as well against one of the Oklahoma schools. Who can name the 167 pounder who avoided a major decision at HWT allowing PSU to win by a point? No looking it up!

ADVERTISEMENT