ADVERTISEMENT

CJF up next on BTN Media day... Tune in!

Franklin was asked if he considers ru or md rivals. He was PC with his answer stating that he has a lot of respect for both schools academically and athletically, but he said that Penn State has never had a rival in the B1G. Of course, he is correct.

Q: Coach do you consider Rutgers & Maryland to be true rival schools?

A: (paraphrased) No.

200_s.gif

Maryland and Rutgers can be each others rival. Nobody cares about their mediocre programs, they both want a manufactured rivalry, they deserve each other. Now they just need the announcers to say it 300 times each broadcast like they tried to do with our games.

Reactions: mn78psu83
Crap. Wait a minute. Since Franklin said that Penn State has never had a rival in the B1G, then he must have meant that pitt is our rival. Damn it!

:confused:

Would love for him to call out Edsall for his comments yesterday and actions from last year, but him and the team will take care of that October 24th :)

Last edited:
Would love for him to call out Edsall for his comments yesterday and actions from last year, but him and the team will take care of that October 24th :)

I didn't see anything even remotely inappropriate or hostile in the transcript of Edsall's comments from yesterday. Did I miss something?

Here you go Lobo....the guy is delusional............congrats you put beat a young team with 40 less scholarships than you had by ONE POINT and if it wasn't for two crucial mistakes by two Freshmen in that game...we win!!!

Q. To go back to recruiting, how much momentum have you been ab
le to find off of the Penn State win from a
year ago? And why do you consider that program to be your rival
?
COACH EDSALL:
Well, I think the one thing is in
terms of any time that you be
at teams from your area or if you beat
a team that you haven't had rea
lly particular success against -
- when you're 1-35-1 against a program that you played
consistently, you know, through th
e '60s, the '70s, the '80s an
d those eras, to be able to go and beat them in Happy Valley
for the first time and the first time you've ever beaten them t
here and also the first time since 1961, I think it showed kids
in our area that we can compete
with them and we can win. And I
think kids look at that. High school kids look at that.
And Penn State has always had a niche for being able to come do
wn to Maryland and take players up there. And that's
one of the things that we knew if we wanted to get some recruit
s, we'd have to beat them on th
e field. It's no different than
when I was at Syracuse.
At one time, Syracuse dominated
Penn State. And then all of a s
udden, there was a stretch where Penn State dominated
Syracuse. And we beat them two years in a row, and it helped us
with recruiting. So any time you can beat teams on the
field, it helps you in recruiting.
And then the second part is just I think the proximity between
the two schools. You hope that that can develop into a
rivalry because I think those th
ings are good. But again, those
things do take time. But the only way that you can create a
rival is by beating teams on t
he field. And that's what we know
we have to do if we want to try
to have rivalries in the Big
Ten.

Just watched some of the commentary that the studio guys (Revsine & Co.) had at the end of the BTN media show.
DeNardo did not disappoint our expectations --- was basically a wet blanket about this PSU team. Felt that PSU is a clear 4th in talent in the division, and very skeptical about Hack having a big year.

Just watched some of the commentary that the studio guys (Revsine & Co.) had at the end of the BTN media show.
DeNardo did not disappoint our expectations --- was basically a wet blanket about this PSU team. Felt that PSU is a clear 4th in talent in the division, and very skeptical about Hack having a big year.

Best news I heard (read) all day.

Delany is such a scumbag. I just wasted 2 minutes watching the replay of this dogshit on BTN at midnight and the first thing this prostitute says is "We can't write the narrative until all the facts are in." What a ratbag. I'm done. He is a complete bullshitting bullshitter. As I watch this he is sweating like Surma. What a rat bastard rat mother---g rat.

CJF is forgetting a little piece of beauty called the Land Grant Trophy. You don't fabricate trophies like this without a rivalry....
thanks for the clip. wow.coach franklin is head and shoulders above all the coaches in public speaking. now paul christ i havent a clue what he is talking about. lol must be a hell of a coach though.

Delany is such a scumbag. I just wasted 2 minutes watching the replay of this dogshit on BTN at midnight and the first thing this prostitute says is "We can't write the narrative until all the facts are in." What a ratbag. I'm done. He is a complete bullshitting bullshitter. As I watch this he is sweating like Surma. What a rat bastard rat mother---g rat.

Was he speaking about Penn State with that "narrative" comment? If not, what was he talking about?

He was talking about the overall success of the conference in football w/r/t the other big conferences. It was a bizarre choice of words given the question. It's on BTN.com but I don't know how to link it without linking a dozen other vids.

Jim Delany talks about "the narrative" at the 0:57 mark in response to perceptions about the Big Ten.

"It's hard to create the narrative till the facts are in. A lot of people like to create the narrative before the facts are in."

@JmmyW tied it into Delany's previous comments about the narrative vs facts:

Last edited:
Reactions: Zenophile
ADVERTISEMENT