ADVERTISEMENT

Cheating in sports ....

dawgduice

Jun 2, 2006
For the second time this week, we've seen a relief pitcher ejected for having a so-called "foreign substance" on his arm. This time around it was Marlins manager Dan Jennings who requested Orioles reliever Brian Matusz's arm be checked out. Once the umpires had a look, Matusz was ejected from the game.

I just find it so amazing the "constant" cheating. Really no honor !
I recall a few years ago when the Phillies were caught with someone in center field "stealing" catcher signals, are you serious? I think the "league" fined them $50 :)

For the second time this week, we've seen a relief pitcher ejected for having a so-called "foreign substance" on his arm. This time around it was Marlins manager Dan Jennings who requested Orioles reliever Brian Matusz's arm be checked out. Once the umpires had a look, Matusz was ejected from the game.

I just find it so amazing the "constant" cheating. Really no honor !
I recall a few years ago when the Phillies were caught with someone in center field "stealing" catcher signals, are you serious? I think the "league" fined them $50 :)
Been going on forever. I haven't done any recent research on this but it's my understanding that the 1954 New York Giants stole the pennant by putting someone in the Polo Grounds bleachers with binoculars, stealing signs. In his latter years, Whitey Ford would throw scuffed balls all the time. In Chavez Ravine in the sixties, the mound would be above regulation height, giving Koufax and Drysdale an advantage. (Yes, the other team had the same advantage, but give Sandy Koufax an advantage and he's well-nigh unhittable.)

LOL, for one season in the fifties the fences in Cleveland's Municipal Stadium were put on rollers; when the big hitting teams like the Yankees and the Red Sox came into town, they'd move the fences back, when the weaker teams came in, they'd roll them in. That set up a new rule: park dimensions are set for the entire season.

I really don't see what's the big deal with stealing signals.

They confuse cheating with preparation Fac. The Yinzers don't realize it's still legal to film def. co-ordinators. You just can't do it from the sideline or coach's box.

I really don't see what's the big deal with stealing signals.
On the field, no problem; I'm not the guy to ask but I would imagine there is no rule against non-technology assisted signal stealing. Putting someone in the bleachers with binoculars? That's something different and totally against the rules, I'm sure (the visiting team doesn't have the same advantage).

Can't you just change the hot signal to confuse the "cheaters". In my opinion, if they can steal them then shame on you.

Gaylord Perry says, "Well, if he's dumb enough to not be able to hide it better then he deserves to be ejected and suspended. What an amateur!!"

Reactions: massimoManca II
On the field, no problem; I'm not the guy to ask but I would imagine there is no rule against non-technology assisted signal stealing. Putting someone in the bleachers with binoculars? That's something different and totally against the rules, I'm sure (the visiting team doesn't have the same advantage).

Mike Shanahan said he did the binoculars thing. See spygate 2002. Cowher has also admitted he tried to steal signs. Didn't get into specifics.

http://yourteamcheats.com/DEN

If teams were built for small ball they used to bevel the first base line inward so choppers and bunts would tend to roll fair. If they were bombers they'd have em roll foul. The grounds crew is the more important than the coaching staff for some teams. Also agree there's nothing wrong with stealing signs. Somebody should be trying to figure out the signs as far as bunt, steal, take. Stealing catcher's signs from the OF with magnification and then relaying it back to the hitter is bush. You guys are thinking of Mick Billmeyer who was the Phils bullpen coach with the binocs. He's gone now, which may partly explain why they have the fewest runs scored in the league. ;)

If we had defeated Miami for the MNC by "stealing" signals I would NOT think to highly of who we are. Maybe it's just me. I see "cheating" as "cheating". It is NOT part of the game.
If "cheating" is "part of the game", OK, then ALL forms of "cheating" are fine. Can you say "Barry Bonds" :)

If we had defeated Miami for the MNC by "stealing" signals I would NOT think to highly of who we are. Maybe it's just me. I see "cheating" as "cheating". It is NOT part of the game.
If "cheating" is "part of the game", OK, then ALL forms of "cheating" are fine. Can you say "Barry Bonds" :)
I'm with those who say stealing signs isn't cheating unless you use binoculars, study video, etc. While playing baseball as a teenager we'd always be trying to decipher what the third base coach was doing. It comes with the territory. In a perfect world the opponent would cover their ears and close their eyes as a play is called.

The last 15-20 national championships probably haven't been won cleanly. ie Improper benefits.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT