ADVERTISEMENT

Can anyone remember the last time we threw a screen pass to a RB that went for a TD?

Jerademan74

Gold Member
Jun 29, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I can't! I remember seeing lot's of quick out passes to WR's hoping they break a few tackles. That play seems to not work way more times than working and has become an expected play at least once each offensive series. I am very sick of it and the Defense seems to be waiting for it. Let's open up our play calling this year after the OL starts to gel and throw more downfield to open up the chance for screen pass room. This used to be a successful play more times than not in the past, and I for one love them if we have a RB who can make things happen after the catch out of the backfield! I think we have those RB's this season.

I can't! I remember seeing lot's of quick out passes to WR's hoping they break a few tackles. That play seems to not work way more times than working and has become an expected play at least once each offensive series. I am very sick of it and the Defense seems to be waiting for it. Let's open up our play calling this year after the OL starts to gel and throw more downfield to open up the chance for screen pass room. This used to be a successful play more times than not in the past, and I for one love them if we have a RB who can make things happen after the catch out of the backfield! I think we have those RB's this season.

Stephon Green from Pat Devlin vs Michigan in 2008 during garbage time

as far as the last time - why is my brain trying to tell me Stepfon #21 ??

I felt we should have been using dump passes all last year to give the OL some help

It's simply a factor of tailback speed. Since Larry Johnson PSU hasn't had tailbacks with true breakaway speed. Hunt, Royster were good backs but speed wasn't their thing. I think the only really fast back PSU has had in the last decade was Rodney Kinlaw.

I believe Hack threw one to Belton against Akron last year. Into N End Zone, he rolled right and Belton snuck out to the left untouched. About 20 yards. Hope Saquon Barkley brings this back into our arsenal.

I believe Hack threw one to Belton against Akron last year. Into N End Zone, he rolled right and Belton snuck out to the left untouched. About 20 yards. Hope Saquon Barkley brings this back into our arsenal.

yeah, but that wasn't a screen pass.

Fairgambit: Thanks for the YouTube video. This was 2008 and I believe during garbage time. That is my point, we need speedsters making big plays to keep the D honest and staying back which will open up our running game, and then...bam... screen pass for a TD!
Point well taken!

Not THE most recent.....but the game at home against Michigan when Morelli got knocked out of the game and Cianciolo (sp) had to step in.
IIRC, PSU had one break for about 50 yards (Tony Hunt on the receiving end?) that got PSU back into the game.....only to come up a score short.

Geeze, I didn't even notice that when I posted it or I would have given you full attribution (now fixed). Nice work!

Haha thanks. Wasn't looking for credit or anything -- Just thought it was funny that you picked the vid that I posted. :)

Not THE most recent.....but the game at home against Michigan when Morelli got knocked out of the game and Cianciolo (sp) had to step in.
IIRC, PSU had one break for about 50 yards (Tony Hunt on the receiving end?) that got PSU back into the game.....only to come up a score short.
If you go back to Morelli days to think of a successful screen pass, it makes my original point. It has been YEARS!

Screen with this OL ???? are you kidding me?? I just HOPE they have improved a bit, 25% maybe ??

McGloin to Joe Suhey in the frantic 4th quarter comeback at home loss vs. Michigan State in 2010? Down big, made a great comeback behind McGloin, and one of our WRs made a strip of an interception inside the MSU 10 I think to give us a chance at one point late in the game.

Reactions: cronk
Screen with this OL ???? are you kidding me?? I just HOPE they have improved a bit, 25% maybe ??
Yeah - a screen is designed to allow pass-rushers upfield toward the QB... Our OL had that down-pat last fall, or so it seemed... Maybe they were called as screens and Hack just couldn't make the throw!!?! ;)

I thought Bolden threw one in 2010. Although, maybe you meant for our TD.

5822988.jpeg

Reactions: Jerademan74
Stephon Green from Pat Devlin vs Michigan in 2008 during garbage time

That wasn't garbage time. That TD covered the spread!! I should know cuz I was on PSU that night and was cheering like crazy when Green broke it down the sideline.

No idea, but why doesn't PSU throw more screen passes to RBs? Lots of WR screens but very few to the RBs. It seems to me that screens are a good way to slow down a pass rush and that would really help Hack.

ADVERTISEMENT