ADVERTISEMENT

C/S/S filed their responses in PA Superior Court ...

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
they filed their responses last week. A couple of interesting aspects about the situation:

- each filed a full brief, as well as a "public version" (also called a redacted version) brief. Alas, the Superior Court's web site has sealed everything in the cases, so you can't even view the public version/redacted version briefs.
- the Pennsylvania Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers filed amicus briefs in each case. While these are also sealed, I'm told that the amicus briefs supported the arguments of the defendants. (I was told they were filed for each case, but so far amicus brief filings are only listed on Schultz's and Spanier's dockets.)

I'm not a lawyer, so I don't spend a lot of time on the PA Superior Court's public web site. Below are the docket numbers for the respective cases. I encourage those of you that have more time and/or more experience with the Superior Court to check out the web site and see if I'm missing something, and any part of the filings are accessible to the public.

Tom

Tim Curley: 299 MDA 2015
Gary Schultz: 280 MDA 2015
Graham Spanier: 304 MDA 2015

Reactions: Hotshoe and WeR0206
they filed their responses last week. A couple of interesting aspects about the situation:

- each filed a full brief, as well as a "public version" (also called a redacted version) brief. Alas, the Superior Court's web site has sealed everything in the cases, so you can't even view the public version/redacted version briefs.
- the Pennsylvania Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers filed amicus briefs in each case. While these are also sealed, I'm told that the amicus briefs supported the arguments of the defendants. (I was told they were filed for each case, but so far amicus brief filings are only listed on Schultz's and Spanier's dockets.)

I'm not a lawyer, so I don't spend a lot of time on the PA Superior Court's public web site. Below are the docket numbers for the respective cases. I encourage those of you that have more time and/or more experience with the Superior Court to check out the web site and see if I'm missing something, and any part of the filings are accessible to the public.

Tom

I looked at Curley, and the entire case is sealed, so that would include even the "public" brief. The Inquirer should file a motion to unseal. But that would require real journalism.

this entire saga is so bizarre...I'm almost at the point of giving up hope that this thing ever ends

Any idea when we can expect a ruling from the superior court on this case?

Tom

3 1/2 years have passed since the initial indictment for CS followed by Spanier's. Is that a record? Can't "we the People" demand a speedy trial? After all, if the State can drag this out against CSS then they can drag it out against any one of us. Please don't tell me that CSS are dragging this out anymore. The State refuses to deliver discovery and make rulings that should done in a time frame of weeks and not months or years.

There are people who are being indirectly harmed in this case; PSU alumni, the people of State College, the students, the faculty just to mention a few.

In the interest of justice the state should be compelled to move forward.

I'm glad that you mentioned the people who are indirectly harmed by this case. Here's a personal example. My parents spend the winters in the south. They are both in their late 70's and are lifelong State College residents. They were standing in a line at a restaurant. Dad had a Penn State hat on and was accosted by some indignant lady who went off on the University, Joe and the people of Central Pennsylvania. Now, I know you have to let this roll off your back but really?...going off on an elderly man? The result is my parents don't wear any PSU gear anymore.

This is just one example. There have to be countless examples like this. THIS is what pisses me off to no end! The hubris, the selfishness...just makes me incredibly angry.

When the truth comes out and it will, I would consider public stoning's of the culprits.

This answer should be titled "Why We Fight".

The cabal and their oafish disciples have no idea the extent of damage that they have wrought, and they do not care. All they care about, all they have ever cared about their entire lives, is about themselves. Their wealth is a close second.

I'm glad that you mentioned the people who are indirectly harmed by this case. Here's a personal example. My parents spend the winters in the south. They are both in their late 70's and are lifelong State College residents. They were standing in a line at a restaurant. Dad had a Penn State hat on and was accosted by some indignant lady who went off on the University, Joe and the people of Central Pennsylvania. Now, I know you have to let this roll off your back but really?...going off on an elderly man? The result is my parents don't wear any PSU gear anymore.

This is just one example. There have to be countless examples like this. THIS is what pisses me off to no end! The hubris, the selfishness...just makes me incredibly angry.

When the truth comes out and it will, I would consider public stoning's of the culprits.

Tell your parents to wear as much PSU stuff as possible. We are Penn State; we did nothing wrong!

My own cousin (a Terps fan) just last week at a family funeral pulled out the pedophile card. He was trying to arrange a get together for the Maryland game and my mom said she wasn't sure she liked the Maryland football team because of their lack of sportsmanship. His response was "well we don't like child molesters".

Reactions: Joe Pa Thetic
My own cousin (a Terps fan) just last week at a family funeral pulled out the pedophile card. He was trying to arrange a get together for the Maryland game and my mom said she wasn't sure she liked the Maryland football team because of their lack of sportsmanship. His response was "well we don't like child molesters".

Like school in summertime.

giphy.gif

Reactions: ChiTownLion
3 1/2 years have passed since the initial indictment for CS followed by Spanier's. Is that a record? Can't "we the People" demand a speedy trial? After all, if the State can drag this out against CSS then they can drag it out against any one of us. Please don't tell me that CSS are dragging this out anymore. The State refuses to deliver discovery and make rulings that should done in a time frame of weeks and not months or years.

There are people who are being indirectly harmed in this case; PSU alumni, the people of State College, the students, the faculty just to mention a few.

We can't even get a ruling on the statute of limitations on failure to report.

Reactions: jjsocrates

You need to punch your idiot cousin in the mouth.

You need to punch your idiot cousin in the mouth.
Funny thing was my mom's response. (Some background : my cousin was a police officer before going into the private sector and he lives in Baltimore ) she said "well we don't like police officers!" (which is blatantly wrong as my dad was a corrections officer for years). I hope he got the point, but I can't be certain.

Reactions: simons96
Tell your parents to wear as much PSU stuff as possible. We are Penn State; we did nothing wrong!

And that helps how? I'm careful about when and where I wear my stuff. Had a co-worker get yelled at at work--and she wasn't even wearing PSU stuff but the person knew her doctorate was from PSU. Now it's probably a bit safer now, but I see no reason to stir up trouble deep in enemy territory, especially given our local paper's editorial policy.

I know it's incredibly difficult but in any situation where your "friends" or "family" make an inappropriate comment about Penn State simply tell them how such a comment is very hurtful to you as an alumnus and member of our supposed advanced American society and politely excuse yourself from the situation if possible. If they are worth keeping in your life they will eventually seek you out and apologize. I've had it happen several times. I'm willing to bet those who don't apologize are not worth your time. Hatred for Sandusky himself is understandable and reasonable. Disparaging the Penn State community as a whole is not reasonable and shouldn't be tolerated by alumni.

Infinitely more important though, child sexual abuse is not funny. Also, it should not be used as a means to express dislike for a football program while masked as righteousness. Such things should not be tolerated by any member of our human society.

Last edited:
I know it's incredibly difficult but in any situation where your "friends" or "family" make an inappropriate comment about Penn State simply tell them how such a comment is very hurtful to you as an alumnus and member of our supposed advanced American society and politely excuse yourself from the situation if possible. If they are worth keeping in your life they will eventually seek you out and apologize. I've had it happen several times. I'm willing to bet those who don't apologize are not worth your time. Hatred for Sandusky himself is understandable and reasonable. Disparaging the Penn State community as a whole is not reasonable and shouldn't be tolerated by alumni.

Infinitely more important though, child sexual abuse is not funny. Also, it should not be used as a means to express dislike for a football program while masked as righteousness. Such things should not be tolerated by any member of our human society.

Roger Williams was telling alums that when this kind of thing happens we should just talk about Penn State's terrific academics.

Because you know, it's OK to be a pedophile enabler as long as you got a great education.

You can thank corrupt judges for this and PA politics. It is beyond disgraceful. And if there was a real governor, he would get off his sorry ass and address this falucy of justice. It seems no matter the party no one cares at all. All they continually have is BS excuses.

And that helps how? I'm careful about when and where I wear my stuff. Had a co-worker get yelled at at work--and she wasn't even wearing PSU stuff but the person knew her doctorate was from PSU. Now it's probably a bit safer now, but I see no reason to stir up trouble deep in enemy territory, especially given our local paper's editorial policy.

Are you for real? I'll be damed if someone is going to give me shit or tell me what I can or cannot wear. Careful my ass.

Are you for real? I'll be damed if someone is going to give me shit or tell me what I can or cannot wear. Careful my ass.

Try living in Columbus. Then come back and tell me about it. And I'm almost 60. Getting into fights at that age is not my style--or wise.

Disparaging the Penn State community as a whole is not reasonable and shouldn't be tolerated by alumni.

Interestingly though, this is precisely what The Medalist and the 2011 Penn State Board of Trustees did. They paid in excess of $8 million for a story to be told which said exactly this, and about as disparaging as one could imagine. Freeh's findings (he said) were that a culture of reverence for football at all levels of the Penn State community exists, which is the direct cause of the molestation of every Sandusky victim. The people who make every financial decision at Penn State paid handsomely for that report and embraced it. They stood on stages and wagged fingers at us and scolded people who went to school here 25 years ago as somehow being responsible for this because we went to football games. It's the alumni who have to wear this now and PSU expects loyalty and money and for people to turn the other cheek. F them. They created this situation as far as I'm concerned. Not one of them ever spoke up for the people who fill those goddamned bleachers every Saturday. I don't care what some creature from any enemy school says about me. It can't be as bad as what my own alma mater said. I don't expect any respect from anybody in this conference anyway. They hated us from before day one.

Agreed Victor. And I support waging war against them in every appropriate venue.

These bastards shall attone for their deeds sooner or later. They are already starting to feel the heat. The imminent finger pointing between NCAA/OG BOT/freeh is going to get interesting.

Reactions: jjsocrates

Why stop at stoning? Let's subject these a*sholes to the Salem Witch Trials, part deux.

Funny thing was my mom's response. (Some background : my cousin was a police officer before going into the private sector and he lives in Baltimore ) she said "well we don't like police officers!" (which is blatantly wrong as my dad was a corrections officer for years). I hope he got the point, but I can't be certain.

A police officer should know something about evidence and facts. Then again, we see that the police in many cities are a mess, but that's another subject for another day.

Very sad. I don't know where you work, but that would never be tolerated where I work. It's no secret in my office where I went to school. When sandusky broke, a few people asked me what I thought of the situation. I was fortunate to be able to "get in front of it" in the office. Those colleagues were surprised by what they learned from me since so little of it had been reported in the news "reports" they had heard or read.

I live in Michigan and have worn PSU clothing as often since sandusky as before. At present, I am sitting in a coffee shop wearing a JoePa shirt. I can only remember one occasion here in Michigan when someone tried to give me a hard time about PSU since sandusky. A guy saw my shirt and yelled "sandusky!". I walked by without making eye contact and said nothing. While traveling on business, I've had a couple of run-ins with idiots. On one occasion, I set the guy the straight. On the others, I ignored the idiots. All in all, it has been rare that someone has bothered me about PSU to my face.

Very sad. I don't know where you work, but that would never be tolerated where I work. It's no secret in my office where I went to school. When sandusky broke, a few people asked me what I thought of the situation. I was fortunate to be able to "get in front of it" in the office. Those colleagues were surprised by what they learned from me since so little of it had been reported in the news "reports" they had heard or read.

And I'd best keep it that way--but it is in the heart of Buckeye country (and I'll not disparage *all* Buckeye fans here as most of my friends here are Buckeyes and by and large have been gracious about it--though the "culture" thing has had a bit of traction). And to be fair, I don't think my company would have tolerated that behavior--but one is never quite sure. My co-worker did not report it, as far as I know. It was just after the news broke and there wasn't a lot of rational thought going on anywhere at that point. I know my department would not have tolerated it as many of my co-workers are from PA and a number from central PA. One even has a niece who played for PSU. I do have a co-worker who does regularly wear PSU stuff (he has a PSU badge lanyard).

I've just decided that, for the most part, discretion is advised. I do wear my stuff when it is a PSU related event. But I also don't have the passion for it as I once did--and you can chalk that up to the machinations of the BOT and now Alumni Council.

And I'd best keep it that way--but it is in the heart of Buckeye country (and I'll not disparage *all* Buckeye fans here as most of my friends here are Buckeyes and by and large have been gracious about it--though the "culture" thing has had a bit of traction). And to be fair, I don't think my company would have tolerated that behavior--but one is never quite sure. My co-worker did not report it, as far as I know. It was just after the news broke and there wasn't a lot of rational thought going on anywhere at that point. I know my department would not have tolerated it as many of my co-workers are from PA and a number from central PA. One even has a niece who played for PSU. I do have a co-worker who does regularly wear PSU stuff (he has a PSU badge lanyard).

I've just decided that, for the most part, discretion is advised. I do wear my stuff when it is a PSU related event. But I also don't have the passion for it as I once did--and you can chalk that up to the machinations of the BOT and now Alumni Council.

I didn't realize that you lived in Ohio. In general, I would expect Tosu athletic supporters to be worse than um fans. I've lived in Michigan since 2006, and there are a lot of um fans here, of course, including the "Wal-Mart wolverines. However, I have rarely met jerks among them.

Sorry to hear that you don't wear the PSU colors as often these days. I understand where you are coming from, but remember that there is a lot of great stuff going on in Happy Valley in spite of the "leadership". Be true to your school. :)

Interestingly though, this is precisely what The Medalist and the 2011 Penn State Board of Trustees did. They paid in excess of $8 million for a story to be told which said exactly this, and about as disparaging as one could imagine. Freeh's findings (he said) were that a culture of reverence for football at all levels of the Penn State community exists, which is the direct cause of the molestation of every Sandusky victim. The people who make every financial decision at Penn State paid handsomely for that report and embraced it. They stood on stages and wagged fingers at us and scolded people who went to school here 25 years ago as somehow being responsible for this because we went to football games. It's the alumni who have to wear this now and PSU expects loyalty and money and for people to turn the other cheek. F them. They created this situation as far as I'm concerned. Not one of them ever spoke up for the people who fill those goddamned bleachers every Saturday. I don't care what some creature from any enemy school says about me. It can't be as bad as what my own alma mater said. I don't expect any respect from anybody in this conference anyway. They hated us from before day one.

To be sure, I think one of the reasons that this accusation has stuck is that most fan bases have "superfans" that are a bit over the top, and thus I think those fan bases make two assumptions. The first is that since they have such superfans, they can envision a scenario like the one given. The second is the erroneous assumption that "it can't happen here". The latter is human nature. It's the common one given when the largest "collective guilt" group is brought up--WW II Germany. You still see this in supposedly serious scholarly works--the Holocaust happened because "they were Germans", forgetting that similar things have happened throughout history, that 40% of Americans have some German descent, that the US itself has some things in their history like concentration camps and they way we handled the Native Americans, and that some in that group saw it coming and died to stop it. It will be very difficult for us to shed this label of "collective guilt" on this issue--especially since child abuse, understandably, is such a hot button topic.

I didn't realize that you lived in Ohio. In general, I would expect Tosu athletic supporters to be worse than um fans. I've lived in Michigan since 2006, and there are a lot of um fans here, of course, including the "Wal-Mart wolverines. However, I have rarely met jerks among them.

Sorry to hear that you don't wear the PSU colors as often these days. I understand where you are coming from, but remember that there is a lot of great stuff going on in Happy Valley in spite of the "leadership". Be true to your school. :)

Columbus in fact--which I love excepting for the "tOSU all the time" rah rah stuff.
Most of the folks I meet are pretty cool. And I will say that in one respect, I understand why. That's the fact that we'd tended to come off a little "holier than thou" in terms of graduation rates and student athletes etc.. It happened to be true, but it wasn't perceived like that by much of the country--they just figured that we "hadn't gotten caught yet". It's kinda sad that most of the country thinks that "everyone lies" (to quote the premise of "House")--but that's the meme. I also know that some tOSU folks didn't like it because Woody was also one of those guys that pushed his kids to get their degrees. The guy had his faults to be sure--but education was something he was big on (and I saw it personally).

You can thank corrupt judges for this and PA politics. It is beyond disgraceful. And if there was a real governor, he would get off his sorry ass and address this falucy of justice. It seems no matter the party no one cares at all. All they continually have is BS excuses.
"real governor"?

Civics much?

"falucy"?

I have had a few run ins with people. Also, some positive interactions. Work was tough, as my boss' boss kept harping on JVP. Even took at as far as raising it at a work dinner. Asked about 20 people how many thought JVP was responsible/accountable for JS' actions. Also, was approached in Disney in Jan 2014 (kids and I were wearing PSU gear) by guy (with family) from Wisconsin. Told me he felt sorry for Mike, whose life has be ruined. Didn't feel an ounce of sorrow for JVP, as he deserved what happened.

ADVERTISEMENT