ADVERTISEMENT

BTN showing one of the ugliest & worst losses in PSU history as an "Indiana Classic"

Bushwood CC

Nov 17, 2009
Not only did PSU have far more talent than this awful Indiana team (e.g., zero excuse for laying a complete egg against them), but they didn't just lose, PSU got pasted and taken to the woodshed by a bad Indiana team that ended the regular season at 5-7 and surrendered 40 ppg.... In terms of having no business losing the game due to being the significantly better team, let alone getting blown-out and taken to the woodshed, this is easily one of the worst losses I've ever witnessed and I've watched PSU football for over 40 years!

Reactions: mn78psu83
I am going to hunt you down and kill you for posting this

In other words, you agree that it is one of the most pathetic and inexcusable performances in PSU history - probably the worst performance any of us have had the personal displeasure of watching.

It was bad from the kickoff to the end. Probably the lowest i ever felt watching PSU football, including Toledo ( aka: the the start of the true dark ages.)

It was bad from the kickoff to the end. Probably the lowest i ever felt watching PSU football, including Toledo ( aka: the the start of the true dark ages.)

Not for 'nothin, but I don't think they are even remotely comparable given that Toledo finished the 2000 season 10-1 and PSU ended the 2000 season 5-7 including a 0-12 loss to an average at best ASWP team.

Not for 'nothin, but I don't think they are even remotely comparable given that Toledo finished the 2000 season 10-1 and PSU ended the 2000 season 5-7 including a 0-12 loss to an average at best ASWP team.
How about the infamous 6-4 loss to
How about the infamous 6-4 loss to Iowa ? The Pitt loss was worse, but that one was worth mentioning. There's
also the loss to Navy back in the mid 1970's due to 6 fumbles in the driving rain at Beaver stadium, but rather not list anymore duds.

Not only did PSU have far more talent than this awful Indiana team (e.g., zero excuse for laying a complete egg against them), but they didn't just lose, PSU got pasted and taken to the woodshed by a bad Indiana team that ended the regular season at 5-7 and surrendered 40 ppg.... In terms of having no business losing the game due to being the significantly better team, let alone getting blown-out and taken to the woodshed, this is easily one of the worst losses I've ever witnessed and I've watched PSU football for over 40 years!
I have no recollection of that loss. Aside from not watching or reading the news, I have purged all historical negativity from my life, which mostly includes (as I best remember) a number of either woeful PSU performances or B1G shaft jobs.

I'm now looking forward to the 2015 PSU season with the expectation that, out of frustration, Franklin has the capability of blowing as big a gasket as did O'Brien. To this day I think Witvoet feared for his life during that exchange and I think Billo's actions actually had a pronounced effect on the otherwise corrupt B1G officiating...at least for a couple of weeks.

I respect Billo for leaving for bigger and better pastures, but part of me selfishly wishes he'd stuck around for no other reason, that in his 3rd year as Head Coach, to witness that he wasnt going to tolerate any of the B1G's bullshyt. It was a reality show in the making..

This game was really not that bad --- shoot, I was there and saw it live.

IU was slightly better than us this day, the true margin of the game was nothing near the 20 points on the scoreboard. We had some bad luck with getting 0 points on our first 2 drives, each of which made it into the IU Red Zone (stopped on downs and a bad snap on a FG in the rain). Also unfortunately had a missed FG right before the half. We actually did lead by a point in the mid-3rd Quarter.

We did also have a true freshman starting at QB in his first true road game ever.

A lot of Bushwood's displeasure about this game is because he, of course, doesn't like Bill O'Brien.

Going for it on 4th-and-2 from our own 33, down 28-17 with 11:00 to play was a bad decision. That decision by O'Brien in this game caused the score to really get out of hand.

But --- on the whole --- O'Brien was undoubtedly a net positive for Penn State in his 24 games here, and I'll look at the big picture and forgive that dumb 4th down call against Indiana in 2013.

One of my favorite O'Brien stats is that in his last 22 games at Penn State, we never lost back-to-back games. He made sure our teams were very good at bouncing back from disappointment. Witness that after this Indiana clunker, we came back and beat Michigan. And one thing to note about this IU game: even when we trailed 44-17, our team CARED about scoring that last "meaningless" TD and celebrated the accomplishment on the bench. Sort of like what we did when we were trailing 63-7 in Columbus. There's something to be said for having that type of attitude even when you are struggling. Frankly, I wish I saw more of that in the 2014 team (and with Coach Franklin), but that's a whole other topic.

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13
Serves us right for being a pedophile enabler. The BTN must also inflict their penalty on us.
large-smiley-046.gif

In other words, you agree that it is one of the most pathetic and inexcusable performances in PSU history - probably the worst performance any of us have had the personal displeasure of watching.
The Iowa loss during the Paterno Era was the worst I can remember. Penn State with a depleted roster against a team with a very good offense was a recipe for that so called upset.The Stanford and Clemson bowl losses and Michigan 97 loss are all worse losses. A loss to any team with you having 25 to 30 less players then them is easily excused in my book.

Last edited:
I think most people see this is a shot against Bill O' Brien. Get over it. The guy was a God send. Wish him all the luck in the world for doing what he did for Penn St.

Reactions: bison13
I was there live as well. I think it's possible the staff knew OB was leaving at this point and they were without jobs. Just speculation but it is a reason I've pondered for the lack of preparation.

I had the "pleasure" of being at this game. The fans were great. I started leaving a little early to beat the traffic and get started on the long drive home... all I heard was "don't leave yet, Indiana will find a way to blow this lead." It was quite funny.

The Iowa loss during the Paterno Era was the worst I can remember. Penn State with a depleted roster against a team with a very good offense was a recipe for that so called upset.The Stanford and Clemson bowl losses and Michigan 97 loss are all worse losses. A loss to any team with you having 25 to 30 less players then them is easily excused in my book.
I was a fellow at Stanford when that bowl game happened and the guy I worked for was part of the recruiting staff and so was at the game. he said the Stanford guys were laughing at and taunting the PSU guys because the PSU guys were so totally disinterested and demoralized. The Stanford guys would call the play out PSU was going to run and laugh at them afterwards. There were real "locker room" problems with that team. One of the worst performances I ever saw.

BTN thinks they need to give all of the member institutions their day. That's why Indiana beating Penn State is a "great" game. Hell, ANY team beating Penn State should be a memorable game, from the perspective of that other team. It doesn't happen very often. Enjoy this day, Pal - you won't get many like it.

Bushwood, you've taken this loss to heart - from day 1- like no other. Don't let it wreak emotional havoc on you.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
ADVERTISEMENT