ADVERTISEMENT

Blacknall, Lewis, Godwin, Gesecki, Brenneman, Carter plus more!

Jerademan74

Gold Member
Jun 29, 2011
Atlanta, GA
These are all RETURNING receivers for Hack to find. When healthy, there is not 1 mediocre player in this group. Now we also have incoming WR freshmen who might be even better than the returners. If our OLmen and RB's truly take it up a notch, we have potentially an explosive offense THIS YEAR!

I agree, however, it seems that some of these guys seem to disappear (no targets). I am not a coach, however, it's frustrating to see some of these guys with talent not targeted (his number not called). Just my thoughts.

Hamilton!
image.png

Reactions: bwifan
And it means bupkis if Hack is on his back, or fleeing a pocket that collapsed immediately.

I hope the receivers are working on creating separation at the line of scrimmage. Something I feel they did not do well last year.

But yeah, this group is as talented as I can ever remember.

The real key to the passing game is, naturally, the running game.

To me the best thing potentially for the offense is that the redshirt freshman TBs, Allen and Scott, have speed that PSU hasn't had at the TB position for quite a number of years.

You know the OL is working hard on pass blocking but the most important thing they need to do the first couple of games is execute a few running plays. Just basic stuff but it's got to be well executed.

All they have to do is make 2 foot holes and pick off a linebacker and Allen and Scott should be able to outrun safeties.

All they have to do is break a couple of long gains the first couple games, and that will force opposing safeties to stay in run support mode just an extra second. And that works wonders for passing routes over the middle as well as sideline patterns.

Heck, just with what Scott did at the BW game, I think some teams are going to take note when he comes into the game that he is dangerous.

It's what Hack needs as well. When you have a back with breakaway speed, all of a sudden the pass rushers can't just focus on backfield; they have worry much more about running back screens and quick hits off tackle. The ends have to worry about contain just as they do with a running QB (which Hack is not)

The real key to the passing game is, naturally, the running game.

To me the best thing potentially for the offense is that the redshirt freshman TBs, Allen and Scott, have speed that PSU hasn't had at the TB position for quite a number of years.

You know the OL is working hard on pass blocking but the most important thing they need to do the first couple of games is execute a few running plays. Just basic stuff but it's got to be well executed.

All they have to do is make 2 foot holes and pick off a linebacker and Allen and Scott should be able to outrun safeties.

All they have to do is break a couple of long gains the first couple games, and that will force opposing safeties to stay in run support mode just an extra second. And that works wonders for passing routes over the middle as well as sideline patterns.

Heck, just with what Scott did at the BW game, I think some teams are going to take note when he comes into the game that he is dangerous.

It's what Hack needs as well. When you have a back with breakaway speed, all of a sudden the pass rushers can't just focus on backfield; they have worry much more about running back screens and quick hits off tackle. The ends have to worry about contain just as they do with a running QB (which Hack is not)

This is just a total guess but I see Barkley and Thomas backing up Lynch this season.

Barkley because he's that good and Thomas because he's a bruiser who was getting more buzz than Scott and Allen last year on the scout team.

Rumor has it that to avoid confusion it will be another "Hamilton."

the_wizard_of_oz_margaret_hamilton_7.jpg

For a second there I thought you were trying to petition Obama into putting the wicked witch of the west on the $10 bill. He's looking for a politically correct woman to put on so he can earn more points with the feminists, so if you submit your idea to him it would get serious consideration ......

Reactions: mn78psu83
Receivers need to work on getting better separation from what I recall the experts were saying... If Hack again has struggles with OL... These receivers must be quick.. Strong and get some distance on very short routes with their defenders.

My gut tells me though... It will be an explosive line given some time to mature with a " relatively" easy schedule first few games.

Receivers need to work on getting better separation from what I recall the experts were saying... If Hack again has struggles with OL... These receivers must be quick.. Strong and get some distance on very short routes with their defenders.

My gut tells me though... It will be an explosive line given some time to mature with a " relatively" easy schedule first few games.

I do not "think" we have receivers with great football "quickness". They are mostly big, strong and fast. These are terrific skills to have IF you have an OL good enough to allow your QB time for "patterns" to be run. Separation for WRs and TEs as we have generally require "time". I think we get that this year because of the OL. Oh and a "real" running game. I really believe we will see a BIG improvement with the OL (age, strength, experience, depth). Will the OL be great? No, but it will be "good enough".

For a second there I thought you were trying to petition Obama into putting the wicked witch of the west on the $10 bill. He's looking for a politically correct woman to put on so he can earn more points with the feminists, so if you submit your idea to him it would get serious consideration ......
I don't know if even he would "Wanda" put her on the $10.

Sorry, I did forget the guy who would be in the 10 spot...or #1 spot? I forgot, because I heard Obama wants to replace him with a woman :)
images
I think if Obama replaced you with a woman..... then she might know something about our football team. :D

...and more on the way. If the OL situation can improve to only adequate..... the skilled people and options of player type should drive DCs nuts. But the OL stabilization is still the key to the potential of an explosion.

I hope the receivers are working on creating separation at the line of scrimmage. Something I feel they did not do well last year.

But yeah, this group is as talented as I can ever remember.

Amen. However, 3 or the top 4 WRs last year were freshman (4 of the top 5 if we count Gesicki as a WR, which he mostly was). I wouldn't expect freshman, including 2 true freshman to be very good with the nuanced aspects of playing WR at this level. Hopefully that watched a lot of film and made strides in that department.

One unfortunate part of what the sanctions did to our roster that I never really considered before is limiting the "help" young players get from experienced players. Last year Lewis was the most veteran WR on the squad and he can in with a whopping 18 receptions in his career. We are playing a lot of underclassman who aren't lucky enough to have a group of talented, experienced upperclassmen to take them under their wing like you would normally see at a program like PSU.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
This is just a total guess but I see Barkley and Thomas backing up Lynch this season.

Barkley because he's that good and Thomas because he's a bruiser who was getting more buzz than Scott and Allen last year on the scout team.
I tend to agree. Not sure where the poster heard that Scott and Allen are that fast. I haven't heard or seen anything that suggests Allen will contribute this year including his recruitment where his only offer was Temple.

It is effortless to do a Google search and see that Mark Allen has been clocked at 4.38 to 4.44 numerous times at numerous camps. Nick Scott at 4.46 to 4.5 ,,, Thomas a bull that has been clocked constantly 4.48 to 4.5
does that help clarify things re PSU running back speed. lol

Wow! That's some
things I haven't even been think about. We may have some pretty good backs from last year. I don't think to many of us are realizing this? You think so Rip?

It is effortless to do a Google search and see that Mark Allen has been clocked at 4.38 to 4.44 numerous times at numerous camps. Nick Scott at 4.46 to 4.5 ,,, Thomas a bull that has been clocked constantly 4.48 to 4.5
does that help clarify things re PSU running back speed. lol
Nice!!!!

Give us any assemblance of an OL and this team has so much talent. Think about it. Best group of wide receivers and tight ends we've ever assembled, with a stud QB. All we need is the OL to hold up. Thats asking a lot but you get my drift. I hope they do

I agree, however, it seems that some of these guys seem to disappear (no targets). I am not a coach, however, it's frustrating to see some of these guys with talent not targeted (his number not called). Just my thoughts.
There is only one ball and it's hard to spread it all over without protection from the O line.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT