ADVERTISEMENT

Best way to cook deer meat?

Psubiomed

Jul 25, 2021
I have a huge thing of ground venison and need to know how to make it eat able

Well apparently you or someone else killed it and dressed it. That’s the hard part. I’m certain people more knowledgeable than me will give you advice. Personally I would Google “How to cook venison and make it eatable”. 😁
PS: I’ve inserted the smiley face not for you, but so that a particular board moron understands I’m jesting.

Reactions: cment and Psubiomed
Jerky. Buy a jerky gun. or you can marinade it it italian dressing. Flash fry it.

Throw it on the grill.
Burn to a charcoal crisp.
Go out to your local steak house for a real meal.

Reactions: WeARE
Assuming it was well handled after the kill. I used to butcher my own venison. I used to mix my ground venison trimmings 50/50 with ground pork and make Italian sausage. Great for spaghetti sauce. Another way was to mix 50/50 with beef for chili.

Steaks and tenderloin on the grill rare.

You have never had perfectly cooked ve venison.....go buy the lab grown chicken u libtard
Bwahahahaha..
Perfectly cooked Elk medallions and steaks and tenderloins, hassenfeffer, even racoon but only a Con-foil-tard would stoop to eating venison without injections or combining ground pork or no other ameliorating meats or processors. Now in my dad's butcher shop we processed many a deer.. grass or grain fed took the least effort to heal into something worth chewing. May apple and acorn fed took the house to make venison for chewable. Wild hogs... Now there is a delicacy and properly smoke bear meat.....

I have also made jerky (not from ground but sliced hindquarters and smoked ring bologna (from ground) that rivaled anything you can buy in the store (taste test proven).

Last edited:
Bwahahahaha..
Perfectly cooked Elk medallions and steaks and tenderloins, hassenfeffer, even racoon but only a Con-foil-tard would stoop to eating venison without injections or combining ground pork or no other ameliorating meats or processors. Now in my dad's butcher shop we processed many a deer.. grass or grain fed took the least effort to heal into something worth chewing. May apple and acorn fed took the house to make venison for chewable. Wild hogs... Now there is a delicacy and properly smoke bear meat.....
Yep. Venison, like all wild game, is really low fat lean so it can be dry. Worse, people tend to over cook out of fear of parasites or disease.

Add cheap ground beef, the stuff with at least 20% fat, atvs one to one ratio. Pork will sweeten it but pork can also be lean so use a pork shoulder and use the fat. Could add some bacon grease, too.

You can then use it just like ground beef….hamburgers, meat loaf, stuffed cabbage leaves, in spaghetti sauce(brown it first).

Love dear baloney! I had friend that mixed ground dear meat with ground beef, 50/50 mix. You’d never know there was venison in there. Was it bit bloody when cooking. But tasted great.

Yep. Venison, like all wild game, is really low fat lean so it can be dry. Worse, people tend to over cook out of fear of parasites or disease.

Add cheap ground beef, the stuff with at least 20% fat, atvs one to one ratio. Pork will sweeten it but pork can also be lean so use a pork shoulder and use the fat. Could add some bacon grease, too.

You can then use it just like ground beef….hamburgers, meat loaf, stuffed cabbage leaves, in spaghetti sauce(brown it first).
^this, for the most part. I add 30% pork fat and grind them together to give a 70 - 30 mix. Marinating the tender loin for 4+ days and cooking to a medium rare is sometimes good, but it depends on what the deer was eating more than the marinade.

Now, if you want good game go to Australia and eat a Kangaroo served rare. Yum!

Reactions: hlstone
As was mentioned, if it’s already ground with fat or cheap hamburger you are good to go. Otherwise you will want to use it in things like spaghetti sauce, tacos etc. I love venison but it is very lean. I’ll eat it just cooked over low heat with salsa.

if you just want to cook it quick. mix it with 50% pork or even 50% beef fat. Otherwise, it will be dry. If you want to process it for later. It is great to make sausage with most recipes will work, just use again a 50/50 mix of the meat listed. as stated above you can buy jerkey mix. Follow the instantons and roll between wax or parchement paper to about 1/8 inch thick. Slice in one-inch strips. I fyou really do not want or like it, do not throw it away. Find someone who will eat it or boil it for dogs. They will knock you over for it. I use my scrap meat and the rib meat for my dogs. Raw or boiled in a pot of water. Mixed with kibble

Reactions: GSPMax
Bwahahahaha..
You better throw down that smoked bear meat recipe.

I never mix my venison with beef or pork. I just made burgers a couple weeks ago with no issues other than one didn't stay together very well. Wasn't dry either.

My dad has ground slab bacon and mixed with venison for burgers and that was good as well.

Most of my ground venison goes to jerkey. Use a jerkey gun and dehydrator. It's super easy. Just find a good seasoning kit. Most are packaged to do 5 lbs. I would weigh the meat. This isn't something you want to get wrong.

Ground deer meat makes great meatballs cooked in a good sauce. You can mix it with beef 50-50 as well and then it's hard to realize there is deer meat in the meatballs.

When I make Chili I use a lb of ground beef, a lb of ground turkey, and a lb of ground deer meat.

A quick use is sloppy joe's.

You better throw down that smoked bear meat recipe.
I will not give it up even at Founders Day at our church no matter how many times our pastor says I will be condemned to for eternity if I don't give it to him. 😂

I will say it is an adaptation of meat preparation methods that I used for Beef Brisket and Tri Tip with a brine unique to Bear Meat and two stages of cooking. Finishing post smoking in a slow, slow slow roasting the meat placed a roaster trivet. A bottle of Hennessy XO is involved but indirectly...

Last edited:
I will not give it up even at Founders Day at our church no matter how many times our pastor says I will be condemned to for eternity if I don't give it to him. 😂

I will say it is an adaptation of meat preparation methods that I used for Beef Brisket and Tri Tip with a brine unique to Bear Meat and two stages of cooking. Finishing post smoking in a slow, slow slow roasting the meat placed a roaster trivet. A bottle of Hennessy XO is involved but indirectly...
Is this super secret, highly classified concoction in your will or will it cease to exist upon your passing?

As was mentioned, if it’s already ground with fat or cheap hamburger you are good to go. Otherwise you will want to use it in things like spaghetti sauce, tacos etc. I love venison but it is very lean. I’ll eat it just cooked over low heat with salsa.
^^^^ THIS ^^^^
I'm assuming you aren't very experienced cooking or eating venison. If you simply were gifted a package of ground(so you aren't looking to figure out how to make jerkey, etc), I'd probably look at some chili, pasta sauce, etc. Good luck!

Here's another idea for those of you liking venison. We got the best cheese dogs made last year. Given them to friends, had cookouts, etc. Just remember, the 60# of meat turns into 1200 hot dogs. I've had others made in previous years that I was not fond of...these were by far the best (which is a good thing given the number we ended up with).

My meatloaf and hamburger recipes to die for.
Meatloaf:
1 lb straight venison burger
1 lb Bob Evans sage sausage (pork)
1 egg
1 heaping cup of finely ground stove top stuffing
1/3 of a small jar of medium salsa
Shape and form meatloaf on an olive oil coated (aluminum foil lined) baking pan.
Pour another 1/3 jar of the salsa on top of meatloaf
Cover meatloaf with foil and bake in oven at 375 degrees for 40 minutes
Remove foil and continue baking for another 20 minutes.
Done.
Hamburgers
2 lb straight venison burger
1 lb Bob Evans sage sausage (pork)
1/2 cup medium salsa
Mix thoroughly by hand
Roll into 12 equal sized balls and run them in a hamburg press
Makes 12, 1/4 lb pounders
Done
Serve these to friends and family you wish to see more often. They’ll be visiting more.

As somebody who has never cooked venison and generally dislikes the flavor, I will say I've had some deer chili and sausage preparations that I thought were actually pretty tasty so maybe as other said I'd look into a percentage mix with a fattier meat and season the hell out of it. I'm talking whitetail. I have eaten elk and found it excellent.

Perhaps somewhat oddly I've had pickled deer hearts and I like them very much.

As somebody who has never cooked venison and generally dislikes the flavor, I will say I've had some deer chili and sausage preparations that I thought were actually pretty tasty so maybe as other said I'd look into a percentage mix with a fattier meat and season the hell out of it. I'm talking whitetail. I have eaten elk and found it excellent.

Perhaps somewhat oddly I've had pickled deer hearts and I like them very much.
Deer can vary wildly (no pun intended). A buck killed during the rut will generally have a stronger flavor cause of the hormones. Their diet also plays a part. I found that trimming all the fat from the steaks and chops eliminates strong flavors also. Deer fat has a horrid taste in my opinion.

The buck I shot this past season in rifle is really mild. The buck I last shot in archery was kinda strong. Same woods. Same diet.

Deer can vary wildly (no pun intended). A buck killed during the rut will generally have a stronger flavor cause of the hormones. Their diet also plays a part. I found that trimming all the fat from the steaks and chops eliminates strong flavors also. Deer fat has a horrid taste in my opinion.

The buck I shot this past season in rifle is really mild. The buck I last shot in archery was kinda strong. Same woods. Same diet.
Yep, gotta remove the heavy fat. And a deer that was chased and run all day is not as good as deer that wasn’t.

Indirectly my ass! That is what gives you the patience to go slow, slow, slow!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
It seems to me that if you have to mix venison with pork, pork fat, beef, beef fat, etc, you are only kidding yourself by masking the taste of venison. So.....why eat that shit at all?

Screw venison. Just give me beef steak, pork chips, and lamb chops.

Excellent elk, but great for deer also -

Ingredients​

• 1 pound ground elk
  • 2 cups chopped yellow onion
  • 1 cup dry red wine
  • 1 ½ cups water
  • 1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 2 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 2 (14-ounce) cans less-sodium beef broth
  • 1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • ¼ cup reduced-fat sour cream
  • ¼ cup (1 ounce) reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
  • 2 tablespoons chopped green onions

Instructions​

In a Dutch oven, combine the elk and two cups of onion. Cook the mix using medium-high heat until it is lightly browned and turns to a crumble. Bring the wine to a boil. Let cook for three minutes.

Then, bring 1 1/2 cups water, the chile powder, and the next six ingredients (through the beans) to a boil. Cover partially, decrease the heat to low, and cook for two hours (add more water if mixture becomes too thick).

Afterward, pour roughly 1 cup chili into each of 6 bowls, then top with 2 teaspoons sour cream. Before serving, add 2 teaspoons cheese and 1 teaspoon green onions per person.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
^this, for the most part. I add 30% pork fat and grind them together to give a 70 - 30 mix. Marinating the tender loin for 4+ days and cooking to a medium rare is sometimes good, but it depends on what the deer was eating more than the marinade.

Now, if you want good game go to Australia and eat a Kangaroo served rare. Yum!
I love venison in its many forms and have used many of the approaches suggested here. Cooked/canned venison is tender, tasty, and has a good shelf life also.

Your last line gave me a chuckle. One of the stops on our summer overseas cruise was Iceland (fantastic) and one interesting meat available in some restaurants is... horse! Similar to your experience, it is served rare/medium rare and has the same color, texture, and flavor of beef.

Last edited:
Basically, if you are one of the people who had bad experiences with venison, your probably not taking care of the animal after harvesting it or your chef has no idea what they are doing.

Your work starts the second it is killed. Nobody ever sees an angus bull strapped on a truck that is driven around the town for a day or two.

Reactions: hlstone and GSPMax
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT