ADVERTISEMENT

Benjamin Hall tells his amazing story of survival and recovery

The Spin Meister

Gold Member
Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
He is a Fox News war correspondent and was severely injured in Ukraine. The only one of five that survived despite his right leg and part of his left foot being blown off. And shrapnel in his throat and head with a bad concussion.

How he survived the initial blast, his escape out of Ukraine, his treatments in Germany, and his rehab at San Antonio military base. The way he tells it with such positive energy, enthusiasm, and love of life. Inspiring guy

The interview is with Sean Hannity, of whom I am not a big fan . But this was really good.

Last edited:
Tragic stories like this are all around. Some involve survival, some death. When we are privy to how individuals cope and overcome we can be inspired and garner some wisdom to perhaps better ourselves and, if need be, see that maybe we need to "tweek" our own priorities and perspectives on life.

(Thanks for posting.)

Tragic stories like this are all around. Some involve survival, some death. When we are privy to how individuals cope and overcome we can be inspired and garner some wisdom to perhaps better ourselves and, if need be, see that maybe we need to "tweek" our own priorities and perspectives on life.

(Thanks for posting.)
I have seen lots interviews with people that survived tragic injuries, including a lot of war veterans. But I never saw a guy with his injuries be so positive, so happy, so full of life.

This a short clip as the entire interview was an hour long…… minus commercial breaks.

I have seen lots interviews with people that survived tragic injuries, including a lot of war veterans. But I never saw a guy with his injuries be so positive, so happy, so full of life.

This a short clip as the entire interview was an hour long…… minus commercial breaks.
I was inspired by Mr. Hall in the clip you shared. I will look into more of his story and book (Saved). I see there are several more interview clips on YouTube. I would not be surprised if there is a movie down the road.

A story that really had an affect on me was Eugene Sledge's book With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa. Read it after watching Pacific. There is a condensed audio reading of it on YouTube and you may very well already be familiar with it. In the book, after having been through what he experienced, he writes about how he became grateful for being able to put on a pair of dry socks everyday.

The movie 127 Hours is another inspiring story.

During winter, I often think of a statement that one of the actual Easy Company soldiers from Band of Brothers had made in the interviews with them done as part the TV series. (Maybe it was John Martin.) He said he never complained about the bitter cold having fought in Bastogne.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Thank you for sharing. I’ll always be in awe of the resilience and strength in others and hope I’ll have it within me if faced with hardship.

From a data standpoint… in grad school I took a decision science course. A case study involved a family faced with making a decision for an incapacitated relative involving paralysis or amputation… don’t remember details.

The big aha was that most people self report the same level of happiness a year after amputation or paralysis as before. Same was true for positive events like winning the lottery. People’s individual levels of happiness tend to transcend circumstance.

I hope I never find out if that’s true…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT