ADVERTISEMENT

Barbour hired ANOTHER asst athletic director today

Let compare apple to apples for FY 2014

I see many areas that Penn State needs can do much better compared to Wisconsin. There are several areas were Penn State should be doing much better. Even if you take out institutional support and the difference in conference and NCAA distribution Wisconsin still managed to have 6 million in more revenue.

Category Penn State Wisconsin
Ticket Sales $ 33,395,879 $ 27,556,037 (Especially with a stadium that holds 27k more)
Student Fees $ - $ -
Guarantees $ 241,000 $ 562,591
Contributions $ 24,480,517 $ 38,456,621 (Need to get more creative and active with fund raising)
Direct Institutional Support $ - $ 5,091,360
Facilities and Admin Support $ - $ 2,982,000
Conference and NCAA $ 22,683,182 $ 29,506,396
Broadcast and TV Rights $ 3,600,000 $ 8,773,160 (Something needs to be done. This is were the previous administration really dropped the ball. They are in stone age with this)
Parking Concessions
$ 4,496,483 $ 6,526,921 ( Unacceptable with a stadium that holds 27k more)
Royalties
$ 8,086,673 $ 4,616,209 (with Penn state's size, location and fan base this should be much bigger difference)
Sports Camp
$ - $ 1,809,797 (time to get these out from educational extension and under athletics)
Interest $ 5,009,960 $ 332,152
Other $ 5,757,670 $ 1,707,673
Total: $ 107,751,364 $ 127,920,917
Speaking to broadcast rights, it's amazing that Penn State doesn't broadcast its football and basketball games - all of them - on high-quality FM radio throughout the state and region. Football's coverage is pretty good, but for me to live in Pittsburgh (the second-largest market in the state) and only be able to listen to Penn State basketball games on scratchy AM radio is inexcusable.

Reactions: BBrown
Why do they need to make cuts? They had a $5,985,736 surplus last fiscal year. This year with the restoral of NCAA money it will be even higher.
Because if they had a surplus, maybe it's time to make some cuts and lower the outrageous cost to attend a Penn State football game.

I think Sandy was a hell of a hire and is doing a hell of a job. She's bringing the PSU athletic department into the 21st century. Clearly, many of you already have it out for her, which I find pretty funny considering she hasn't even had a chance to prove herself yet.

I think Sandy was a hell of a hire and is doing a hell of a job. She's bringing the PSU athletic department into the 21st century. Clearly, many of you already have it out for her, which I find pretty funny considering she hasn't even had a chance to prove herself yet.
If she hasn't had a chance to prove herself yet, how can you say she is doing "a hell of a job"? Clearly you have your own agenda.

I will add this from an article following her firing from Cal:
"Poor budget management almost forced Cal to eliminate four intercollegiate sports, including baseball. While she helped spearhead the construction of a new football training facility and the renovation of Memorial Stadium, the plan financing collapsed, forcing Cal to take drastic measures to service the debt. The football team finished 1-11 last season under coach Sonny Dykes -- Barbour's hand-picked successor to Jeff Tedford. Perhaps the greatest misstep of Barbour's tenure came in the classroom. NCAA data released last fall revealed that Cal's football graduation rate (44 percent) was the worst of any school in the major conferences, humiliating the university and leading to speculation about Barbour's future."
She certainly proved herself at Cal.

trans.gif

Last edited:
Michael cross, in charge of hockey. Not sure why that needs such a title. We have more assistant ads than Pitt has national championships, at this point

Interesting side note....well, maybe it is more than just a side note: Battista is packing up his tent in Buffalo and returning to Pennsylvania to be with his family.

Reactions: baircub1!
If she hasn't had a chance to prove herself yet, how can you say she is doing "a hell of a job"? Clearly you have your own agenda.
My own agenda? Like what? Haha, no, I just don't like to unduly criticize someone before they've really had a chance to make an impact. I'm not saying she's definitely going to succeed, but I like that she took a period of time to get situated and see what's there before taking action. Some people don't have the stones to make too many changes, especially at a school like PSU that is hell-bent (both positively and negatively) on "tradition". Clearly, she's not afraid to blaze a new trail. Other people like to come in with the attitude that their way is the right way and immediately start implementing "their" system, regardless of how well things are (or aren't) working as they exist. She took the time to evaluate what's working and what needed to change. Again, I'm not saying she going to be successful, but I really like her strategy on how she's going about it. One of the benefits of a school and athletic department as big as ours is the available budget. I say let's use that advantage to continue the upward trend of our athletics.

I hope Sandy does a bang up job. I certainly don't want someone in a position of significant impact at my Alma Mater to fail. So far - I must admit - I have seen nothing to indicate that a bang up job is forthcoming, but if others want to "give her more time", fine.

But if you think she was a "hell of a hire"......I'd have to ask what aspect of her track record would make you feel that way?

If you look at her track record objectively....her only previous stint as an AD was about as colossal a FUBAR as one could imagine.
If you want to take an almost incredulously optimistic viewpoint....one might say "Well, she didn't have the resources she will have at PSU....so maybe she won't be a colossal failure here." I suppose that would be a defensible position - but it sure doesn't correlate to a "hell of a hire".

That would be the equivalent of saying Tim Brewster or Tim Beckman is a "hell of a hire" as a football coach because maybe Tim Brewster woulda' coulda' shoulda' succeeded with Penn State's resources.

PSU not only hired her.....but also doubled the salary of a failed AD.

An AD who was paid to "stay out of the way" and count paper clips at her old job, while her contract expired.....because she couldn't get a sniff at any other D1 position.

Anyone who thinks that a "track record of success" was the priority in the hiring of SB just isn't paying attention.

It is what it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: 91Joe95
I hope Sandy does a bang up job. I certainly don't want someone in a position of significant impact at my Alma Mater fail. So far - I must admit - I have seen nothing to indicate that a bang up job is forthcoming, but if others want to "give her more time", fine.

But if you think she was a "hell of a hire"......I'd have to ask what aspect of her track record would make you feel that way?

If you look at her track record objectively....her only previous stint as an AD was about as colossal a FUBAR as one could imagine.
If you want to take an almost incredulously optimistic viewpoint....one might say "Well, she didn't have the resources she will have at PSU....so maybe she won't be a colossal failure here." I suppose that would be a defensible position - but it sure doesn't correlate to a "hell of a hire".

That would be the equivalent of saying Tim Brewster or Tim Beckman is a "hell of a hire" as a football coach because maybe Tim Brewster woulda' coulda' shoulda' succeeded with Penn State's resources.

It is what it is.

By all accounts, she was extremely highly recommended by everyone who knew her, despite some of the messes she left behind at Cal. She is aggressive, and aggressive doesn't come cheap. She tried to push the envelope at Cal and they just weren't ready to financially handle that. PSU has the resources and fanbase to support what she wants to do. I think Franklin and Barbour are both on the same page and together, they'll put together a program that will rival any in the nation. The fact that we were willing to lay out seven figures for an assistant coach is an incredible breath of fresh air. Upgraded facilities, aggressive marketing... these are all tools that we were lacking.

Again, I don't know if she's going to ultimately be successful or fail miserably, but I like that we've got somebody in place with a vision who isn't scared to take risks. Give me that over somebody who is happy to save a few bucks and stay status quo any day.

I hope Sandy does a bang up job. I certainly don't want someone in a position of significant impact at my Alma Mater to fail. So far - I must admit - I have seen nothing to indicate that a bang up job is forthcoming, but if others want to "give her more time", fine.

PSU not only hired her.....but also doubled the salary of a failed AD.

An AD who was paid to "stay out of the way" and count paper clips at her old job, while her contract expired.....because she couldn't get a sniff at any other D1 position.

Anyone who thinks that a "track record of success" was the priority in the hiring of SB just isn't paying attention.

It is what it is.
Political correctness at it's very best is all that it amounted to & what the hell hire more drones it works well for the federal government.

By all accounts, she was extremely highly recommended by everyone who knew her, despite some of the messes she left behind at Cal. She is aggressive, and aggressive doesn't come cheap. She tried to push the envelope at Cal and they just weren't ready to financially handle that. PSU has the resources and fanbase to support what she wants to do. I think Franklin and Barbour are both on the same page and together, they'll put together a program that will rival any in the nation. The fact that we were willing to lay out seven figures for an assistant coach is an incredible breath of fresh air. Upgraded facilities, aggressive marketing... these are all tools that we were lacking.

Again, I don't know if she's going to ultimately be successful or fail miserably, but I like that we've got somebody in place with a vision who isn't scared to take risks. Give me that over somebody who is happy to save a few bucks and stay status quo any day.
WOW.

"Highly recommended by everyone who knew her".....except the people she worked for (who - apparently - didn't know her :) ) who had her taking inventory of the office supplies to work off her contract - so she couldn't cause any more damage.
Or all of those other folks who "knew her" - like the decision makers at every other D1 program - who wouldn't touch her with a ten foot pole.

There is just too much nonsense in that post.....so I will just say "Good luck with that". I hope you don't believe any of what you just wrote.
I would have asked you for ANY tangible achievements in her tenure at Cal.....but I can see that you prefer to stammer on with a bunch of meaningless political empty nonsense......so....why bother.

Meanwhile, every 14 year old school girl at the Shopping Mall is now re-classified as "aggressive".

Like I said earlier Penn State has a very lean athletic department for the amount of sport it has. It smaller then most it peers and revenue why is way behind were it should be. That because the old administration was still running it like it was the 1980s. There are reasons why schools like Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Wisconsin are bringing in more money then Penn State. This has been a problem for years even prior to Sandusky.

Just a quizical question because i dont know: Do the departments listed above bring in more money before or after sanction money is included?

Why do they need to make cuts? They had a $5,985,736 surplus last fiscal year. This year with the restoral of NCAA money it will be even higher.

Is that before or after the loan from the university? Oops.

WOW.

"Highly recommended by everyone who knew her".....except the people she worked for (who - apparently - didn't know her :) ) who had her taking inventory of the office supplies to work off her contract - so she couldn't cause any more damage.
Or all of those other folks who "knew her" - like the decision makers at every other D1 program - who wouldn't touch her with a ten foot pole.

There is just too much nonsense in that post.....so I will just say "Good luck with that". I hope you don't believe any of what you just wrote.
I would have asked you for ANY tangible achievements in her tenure at Cal.....but I can see that you prefer to stammer on with a bunch of meaningless political empty nonsense......so....why bother.

Meanwhile, every 14 year old school girl at the Shopping Mall is now re-classified as "aggressive".

I read your post twice and didn't see you offer anything concrete, yet you take issue with my "meaningless political empty nonsense"? I'll wait for you to post an actual retort instead of just name calling.

Cal had a ton of success in her tenure. While the football team wasn't one of them, many of the other programs significantly trended upwards. Did she spend more than she should've for Cal's budget? Yes, absolutely, but PSU isn't Cal and the one thing holding us back right now is that we don't spend the money and we don't have the facilities to compete with the best-of-the-best. She's not going to just piss away money just to spend it, but she's not going to be the tight-assed Scrooge that we've had in the past. Our athletic department has been stuck in the past for a long time. There's a reason that both B'OB and Franklin required significant facility upgrades before signing on.

I read your post twice and didn't see you offer anything concrete, yet you take issue with my "meaningless political empty nonsense"? I'll wait for you to post an actual retort instead of just name calling.
Cal had a ton of success in her tenure. While the football team wasn't one of them, many of the other programs significantly trended upwards. Did she spend more than she should've for Cal's budget? Yes, absolutely, but PSU isn't Cal and the one thing holding us back right now is that we don't spend the money and we don't have the facilities to compete with the best-of-the-best. She's not going to just piss away money just to spend it, but she's not going to be the tight-assed Scrooge that we've had in the past. Our athletic department has been stuck in the past for a long time. There's a reason that both B'OB and Franklin required significant facility upgrades before signing on.
A ton of success usually brings a contract extension, not a firing.

Reactions: m48tank

Actually, neither had facility upgrades as part of their contracts. They both signed, then made requests for changes, none of which were actually very outlandish or substantial. Ironically, Franklin changed some of the 'improvements' BOB made.

A ton of success usually brings a contract extension, not a firing.
Again, there were also significant failures, particularly with money and football success. You don't lose football games and money and get to keep your job. If she does that here, she'll get the boot, too.

Reactions: fairgambit
Actually, neither had facility upgrades as part of their contracts. They both signed, then made requests for changes, none of which were actually very outlandish or substantial. Ironically, Franklin changed some of the 'improvements' BOB made.
I've never actually heard of a coach having facility upgrades listed in their contract. That's not how it works. It's usually a discussion to see that you're on the same page and then a handshake agreement that these things will happen.

Good luck with that Mr B. Enjoy your "oblivious obtusity".

There are plenty of things that could be reasonably debated......but if you are going to pretend that her debacle at Cal didn't occur.....or that she was "highly recommended by all who knew her"....then you are clearly operating in Never-Never land.
Either you would have to have the IQ of a bag of hair....or - more likely (I would hope) - are just conflicted via some relationship with the PSU AD.
In either event, there is no point pretending to be engaged with you in some sort of debate or intelligent discussion.

I'm sure you are quite familiar with your Boss's/Relative's/BFF's career accomplishments. They have certainly been detailed plenty on this board. Feel free to knock yourself out.

Last edited:
I had high hopes for Ms. Barbour despite the debacle at Cal. However . . . . when she pulled the '409' off the hockey helmets because some Michigan twitter troll said it was 'insensitive' . . . . . that squandered a boatload of good will and made her look like a complete stooge.

Here's a highly paid executive (a VERY highly paid executive) who throws her OWN constituents under the bus and threw cold water on the biggest celebration to hit town since the SHTF. But she made some anonymous Michigan mope happy.

That is a major faux pas to dig your way out from under. She got behind the 8-ball pretty fast.

409, Twitter.

"Bradley athletics lost nearly $18 million over the past three years, winning four Missouri Valley Conference championships among its 13 sports during Cross’ tenure."

http://m.pjstar.com/article/20150216/SPORTS/150219345

Let go in March. Failing at Bradley and a good fit for PSU?

In all fairness, although Penn State is a major step up from Bradley, he took a step down in going from AD to Assistant AD. Also, a lot of college athletic departments are in the red, so I don't know how much of what happened at Bradley is Cross' fault. Bradley may be one of those schools that needs to cut athletic programs. Maybe that will be the next AD's charter.

In all fairness, although Penn State is a major step up from Bradley, he took a step down in going from AD to Assistant AD. Also, a lot of college athletic departments are in the red, so I don't know how much of what happened at Bradley is Cross' fault. Bradley may be one of those schools that needs to cut athletic programs. Maybe that will be the next AD's charter.

That could be the case. My thinking though is that I'd rather steal someone away who is being successful than a person who is no longer wanted. If it wasn't his fault or there weren't things he could do better, they would have kept him on for remaining two years of contract imo.

That could be the case. My thinking though is that I'd rather steal someone away who is being successful than a person who is no longer wanted. If it wasn't his fault or there weren't things he could do better, they would have kept him on for remaining two years of contract imo.

I agree overall, but at the same time, he could be very successful in an assistant role. Not everyone is meant to be a leader. Look at football coaches. History is filled with guys who were miserable failures as head coaches but then were in heavy demand for assistant coaching jobs. Some guys get labeled as a "genius" as an offensive or defensive coordinator and get a shot at being a head coach and fail. Their reputation as a "genius" gets them another assistant job. Many times, such coaches do well back in the coordinator role.

There is also the matter of just being in the right situation. Bradley may be a tough place to be successful (especially if the only option is to cut programs, as I speculated above). At Penn State, Cross will have resources he could have only dreamed of at Bradley.

Good luck with that Mr B. Enjoy your "oblivious obtusity".

There are plenty of things that could be reasonably debated......but if you are going to pretend that her debacle at Cal didn't occur.....or that she was "highly recommended by all who knew her"....then you are clearly operating in Never-Never land.
Either you would have to have the IQ of a bag of hair....or - more likely (I would hope) - are just conflicted via some relationship with the PSU AD.
In either event, there is no point pretending to be engaged with you in some sort of debate or intelligent discussion.

I'm sure you are quite familiar with your Boss's/Relative's/BFF's career accomplishments. They have certainly been detailed plenty on this board. Feel free to knock yourself out.

Once again, you provide zero substance and all you do is name call. I'm kinda new here, but does this schtick actually work for you? In the real world, you need to back shit up with... ummm, I don't know, facts or something. At least give me a reasonably well-thought out argument instead of just trying to insult me and question my motives/relationships/IQ. Oh, and I have zero relationship to Penn State or Barbour, so let's not pretend that everyone who comes in here with a positive perspective about her is somehow tied to her.

In fact, I never "pretend(ed) that her debacle at Cal never occurred". I cited that the football team sucked (with her hire) and she got too aggressive with the budget. She was there for 10 years, though, so it's not like she blew the place up. All I said was I like her balance of aggressiveness and patience in how she handles things. She isn't afraid to rock the boat a little, but she's also shown that she's not going to just come in and blow things up to do it "her way".

I had high hopes for Ms. Barbour despite the debacle at Cal. However . . . . when she pulled the '409' off the hockey helmets because some Michigan twitter troll said it was 'insensitive' . . . . . that squandered a boatload of good will and made her look like a complete stooge.

Here's a highly paid executive (a VERY highly paid executive) who throws her OWN constituents under the bus and threw cold water on the biggest celebration to hit town since the SHTF. But she made some anonymous Michigan mope happy.

That is a major faux pas to dig your way out from under. She got behind the 8-ball pretty fast.

+100

She isn't quite as bad as Barron, but she takes one step forward, then 2 back.

And this is actually why I like the hire. Like it or not, our #culture is a thing. We need people to protect us from ourselves sometimes. While she's been open in her support for restoring 409, broadcasting it across the sports world is a bit touchy. As an outsider, she has a good perspective on walking that line. While I don't always agree with the moves she makes, I'm willing to wait a few years to see how her long-term plan unfolds before making any major judgements.

Personally, I couldn't care about pissing all of you off with the decision, if I'm the AD. I'm worried about people like Miles Sanders and Tony Carr. When people hear "Penn State", I want it to be about Cael Sanderson and David Taylor and Ed Ruth. Russ Rose and Micah Hancock. James Franklin and Christian Hackenberg. I want recruits and their families to forget about the sanctions and the scandal and see beautiful facilities and programs. That's the job of the AD. If she has to hurt your feelings in the process, I'm quite okay with that.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
[
Just a quizical question because i dont know: Do the departments listed above bring in more money before or after sanction money is included?
That is after all debt service.

"Bradley athletics lost nearly $18 million over the past three years, winning four Missouri Valley Conference championships among its 13 sports during Cross’ tenure."

http://m.pjstar.com/article/20150216/SPORTS/150219345

Let go in March. Failing at Bradley and a good fit for PSU?
Maybe be the head guy is not his specialty. That doesn't mean he can't be great in a supporting role. Using your logic Penn State should never hired Rin Vanderlinden. He failed at Maryland but I think he did a bang up job at Penn State. Do you know the details there? Some places are just nearly impossible to succeed at. Think Rutgers and Temple in the 80s. For all we know they may have a new president who want to bring in his guy. You almost had no chance. I willing to give the guy a chance.

Last edited:
You don't want to cut this one? Fine, cut another one, or two. Maybe then someone will look to Penn State and say, "Why not do what Penn State has done. Let's get our financial house in order."
If you want to really cut cost you need to cut sports. Sports like Men's Volleyball, Men's Gymnastics, and Fencing should all be cut.

What crazy about that? It will result in large savings in sport that honestly no one cares about. Each sport has less then 25 teams sponsoring teams. The ones that do are often small schools.

What crazy about that? It will result in large savings in sport that honestly no one cares about. Each sport has less then 25 teams sponsoring teams. The ones that do are often small schools.

I won't deny that it's a way to save money. It's absurd to think Penn State would consider, let alone do it.

And this is actually why I like the hire. Like it or not, our #culture is a thing. We need people to protect us from ourselves sometimes. While she's been open in her support for restoring 409, broadcasting it across the sports world is a bit touchy. As an outsider, she has a good perspective on walking that line. While I don't always agree with the moves she makes, I'm willing to wait a few years to see how her long-term plan unfolds before making any major judgements.

Personally, I couldn't care about pissing all of you off with the decision, if I'm the AD. I'm worried about people like Miles Sanders and Tony Carr. When people hear "Penn State", I want it to be about Cael Sanderson and David Taylor and Ed Ruth. Russ Rose and Micah Hancock. James Franklin and Christian Hackenberg. I want recruits and their families to forget about the sanctions and the scandal and see beautiful facilities and programs. That's the job of the AD. If she has to hurt your feelings in the process, I'm quite okay with that.

In other words, "move on". Yeah, that's working out splendidly.

You must be an ostrich.

I won't deny that it's a way to save money. It's absurd to think Penn State would consider, let alone do it.
I agree I don't see them doing it but if you wanted to really cut cost and reduce football prices that is how you do it.

Yeah. Let's cut sports and deny opportunities to student athletes so we can make room for overhead. Who cares if these sports win National Championships - WE NEED MORE SUITS!

Here's a thought. We have Fester still on the payroll as a special consultant. If Sandy needs all the help, then put his dead ass to work.

Just heard Joe Battista ( sp?) has resigned from the Sabres.... Missed Pennsylvannia and family/friends...

Wonder if he ever makes it back into the Penn State administration ?

Always liked him...

If you want to really cut cost you need to cut sports. Sports like Men's Volleyball, Men's Gymnastics, and Fencing should all be cut.
Yes, let's cut sports that we are consistently highly ranked and win championships in, and who actually do draw some spectators, and leave sports like golf and tennis. You're all set to win AD of the year.

ADVERTISEMENT