ADVERTISEMENT

Barbour hired ANOTHER asst athletic director today

Michael cross, in charge of hockey. Not sure why that needs such a title. We have more assistant ads than Pitt has national championships, at this point

They need to finish up the AAD hiring before they can start the Assistant AAD hiring? Good thing we don't have any budgetary issues after the OG BOT blew up PSU's Treasury Dept....

Michael cross, in charge of hockey. Not sure why that needs such a title. We have more assistant ads than Pitt has national championships, at this point
For the size of sports program we have a relatively small amount. Ohio State has 46 people with some sort of Athletic Director title. Penn State only has 29. I don't see why people get upset over the hiring of an assistant AD for a revenue program.

For the size of sports program we have a relatively small amount. Ohio State has 46 people with some sort of Athletic Director title. Penn State only has 29. I don't see why people get upset over the hiring of an assistant AD for a revenue program.
Because a title means money and money is in short supply. Now, if they take the title in lieu of money I'm OK with it.

Because a title means money and money is in short supply. Now, if they take the title in lieu of money I'm OK with it.
And sometimes you have to spend money to make money. This is not even a new position. Morris Kurtz was the interim and this is Joe Battista's old position.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
Bureaucracy run amok. You can't swing a dead cat around the athletics offices without hitting three "deadwoods" in the head.

SB is running the "corporate game plan" to a T. Hire so many GD guys into overlapping positions....so that when things go FUBAR, nobody is responsible for anything.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Bureaucracy run amok. You can't swing a dead cat around the athletics offices without hitting three "deadwoods" in the head.

SB is running the "corporate game plan" to a T. Hire so many GD guys into overlapping positions....so that when things go FUBAR, nobody is responsible for anything.
You do realize this is a replacement position? This position was created by Curley. So how do you pin this on Barbour? Talk about commenting with out having a clue about the job. It just shows most people have an agenda and don't look at the fact beyond that agenda.

So comforting to know that the new administration is concentrating first and foremost on academics and has purged Penn State of the sports culture that pervaded the University under Spanier, Curley and Paterno.

You do realize this is a replacement position? This position was created by Curley. So how do you pin this on Barbour? Talk about commenting with out having a clue about the job. It just shows most people have an agenda and don't look at the fact beyond that agenda.
If there's one thing I've learned about this forum, it's that posters will *NOT* let an opportunity to criticize Barbour go to waste - regardless of whether that criticism is rooted in reality.

So comforting to know that the new administration is concentrating first and foremost on academics and has purged Penn State of the sports culture that pervaded the University under Spanier, Curley and Paterno.
I don't get your point. This is a replacement for a position created by Curley.

If there's one thing I've learned about this forum, it's that posters will *NOT* let an opportunity to criticize Barbour go to waste - regardless of whether that criticism is rooted in reality.
They criticize others for not having all the facts when it comes to Paterno and others yet don't hold themselves to the same standards when it comes to criticizing new administrators.

Why don't you ask Tim Curley who created the position in 2010.

LOL......look at the head count under SB....vs the head count under Curley.....then tell me who has an agenda (or who needs a "clue"....or who is ignoring the "facts").

This isn't about one particular guy in one particular position. I never mentioned ANY particular position in my post. This is about a drastic, dynamic shift in how an Athletic Department is "managed"

And it is not about any perceived loyalty to a prior regime.....it is what it is.

And it is the same mentality that led us to having - what, a dozen - "internal counsels".

1 - Make sure no one is responsible (least of all the person who is supposed to be in charge)
and
2 - Build up an "ego-sustaining" empire through the ruse of massive headcounts.

It is not a dynamic unique to PSU.

LOL......look at the head count under SB....vs the head count under Curley.....then tell me who has an agenda (or who needs a "clue").

This isn't about one particular guy in one particular position. I never mentioned ANY particular position in my post. This is about a drastic, dynamic shift in how an Athletic Department is "managed"

And it is not about any perceived loyalty to a prior regime.....it is what it is.

And it is the same mentality that led us to having - what, a dozen - "internal counsels".

1 - Make sure no one is responsible (least of all the person who is supposed to be in charge)
and

Yes, let's look at head count under a guy who, while having a great bottom line, was too cheap to hire decent coaches, allowed incompetent ones to stay far too long (looking at you, DeChellis), didn't fund meaningful assistant coach salaries, presided over the dumbing down of our OOC football schedule, deferred any real maintenance or projects at Beaver Stadium, and also implemented the STEP plan that we all know love.

Tim Curley shit rainbows, didn't he?

How is two assistant AD's too many?

LOL......look at the head count under SB....vs the head count under Curley.....then tell me who has an agenda (or who needs a "clue").

and

Like I said earlier Penn State has a very lean athletic department for the amount of sport it has. It smaller then most it peers and revenue why is way behind were it should be. That because the old administration was still running it like it was the 1980s. There are reasons why schools like Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Wisconsin are bringing in more money then Penn State. This has been a problem for years even prior to Sandusky.

Like I said earlier Penn State has a very lean athletic department for the amount of sport it has. It smaller then most it peers and revenue why is way behind were it should be. That because the old administration was still running it like it was the 1980s. There are reasons why schools like Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Wisconsin are bringing in more money then Penn State. This has been a problem for years even prior to Sandusky.
I didn't know Holly Gregory posted on these boards :)

All in fun.....all in fun

Reactions: T J
IIRC, the academic and athletic budgets are separate.
This guy must have posted that info:

th

It's similar to some others on this board who can't let an opportunity pass to do the same to anything Paterno or on the CSS mess. ;)

Reactions: WeR0206
It's similar to those on this board who can't let an opportunity pass to do the same to anything Paterno (including Jay) or the CSS mess. ;)
I agree. It seems many have agendas on here I hope it improves once the season starts because this board is getting unreadable. Jay always got it the worse. If his last name was Smith he would not have been as criticized as much as he was. He was a mediocre coach but you would have thought he was the anti Christ the way people were on him. I think only HIT got it worse.

And sometimes you have to spend money to make money. This is not even a new position. Morris Kurtz was the interim and this is Joe Battista's old position.
So if you have a position created, you have to keep it forever? Sounds like the Federal Government. How about cutting once in a while.

Surely you jest. There are 28 people with Athletic Director in their title on the staff page.

Sometimes stuff zips right over peoples heads at the speed of light,

Reread and take into account the OP that I quoted.

Reactions: bjf1984
Sadly, most are rooted in reality.

So if you have a position created, you have to keep it forever? Sounds like the Federal Government. How about cutting once in a while.
No but don't you think it wise to have someone dedicated to one of the three revenue sports in your athletic program and your second largest venue that the athletic department operates (BJC is operated by the university not the athletic department)? This is one of the area Penn State could really capitalize to increase revenue. It one of the reason Wisconsin for years has made more money then Penn State.

No but don't you think it wise to have someone dedicated to one of the three revenue sports in your athletic program and your second largest venue that the athletic department operates (BJC is operated by the university not the athletic department)? This is one of the area Penn State could really capitalize to increase revenue. It one of the reason Wisconsin for years has made more money then Penn State.
2013 Revenues (the most recent year for which Title IX data is available):

Wisconsin:
Football 47 Mill
Basketball 20 Mill
All other Sports 12 Mill

Penn State:
Football 68 Mill
Basketball 11 Mill
All other Sports 16 Mill

The rest is smoke and mirrors (who "owns" the arenas, internal transfers, endowment gifts - ala "Pegula", etc)

You don't want to cut this one? Fine, cut another one, or two. Maybe then someone will look to Penn State and say, "Why not do what Penn State has done. Let's get our financial house in order."

2013 Revenues (the most recent year for which Title IX data is available):

Wisconsin:
Football 47 Mill
Basketball 20 Mill
All other Sports 12 Mill

Penn State:
Football 68 Mill
Basketball 11 Mill
All other Sports 16 Mill

The rest is smoke and mirrors (who "owns" the arenas, internal transfers, endowment gifts - ala "Pegula", etc)
Let compare apple to apples for FY 2014

I see many areas that Penn State needs can do much better compared to Wisconsin. There are several areas were Penn State should be doing much better. Even if you take out institutional support and the difference in conference and NCAA distribution Wisconsin still managed to have 6 million in more revenue.

Category Penn State Wisconsin
Ticket Sales $ 33,395,879 $ 27,556,037 (Especially with a stadium that holds 27k more)
Student Fees $ - $ -
Guarantees $ 241,000 $ 562,591
Contributions $ 24,480,517 $ 38,456,621 (Need to get more creative and active with fund raising)
Direct Institutional Support $ - $ 5,091,360
Facilities and Admin Support $ - $ 2,982,000
Conference and NCAA $ 22,683,182 $ 29,506,396
Broadcast and TV Rights $ 3,600,000 $ 8,773,160 (Something needs to be done. This is were the previous administration really dropped the ball. They are in stone age with this)
Parking Concessions
$ 4,496,483 $ 6,526,921 ( Unacceptable with a stadium that holds 27k more)
Royalties
$ 8,086,673 $ 4,616,209 (with Penn state's size, location and fan base this should be much bigger difference)
Sports Camp
$ - $ 1,809,797 (time to get these out from educational extension and under athletics)
Interest $ 5,009,960 $ 332,152
Other $ 5,757,670 $ 1,707,673
Total: $ 107,751,364 $ 127,920,917

You don't want to cut this one? Fine, cut another one, or two. Maybe then someone will look to Penn State and say, "Why not do what Penn State has done. Let's get our financial house in order."
Why do they need to make cuts? They had a $5,985,736 surplus last fiscal year. This year with the restoral of NCAA money it will be even higher.

Reactions: Judge Smails
Let compare apple to apples for FY 2014

I see many areas that Penn State needs can do much better compared to Wisconsin. There are several areas were Penn State should be doing much better. Even if you take out institutional support and the difference in conference and NCAA distribution Wisconsin still managed to have 6 million in more revenue.

Category Penn State Wisconsin
Ticket Sales $ 33,395,879 $ 27,556,037 (Especially with a stadium that holds 27k more)
Student Fees $ - $ -
Guarantees $ 241,000 $ 562,591
Contributions $ 24,480,517 $ 38,456,621 (Need to get more creative and active with fund raising)
Direct Institutional Support $ - $ 5,091,360
Facilities and Admin Support $ - $ 2,982,000
Conference and NCAA $ 22,683,182 $ 29,506,396
Broadcast and TV Rights $ 3,600,000 $ 8,773,160 (Something needs to be done. This is were the previous administration really dropped the ball. They are in stone age with this)
Parking Concessions
$ 4,496,483 $ 6,526,921 ( Unacceptable with a stadium that holds 27k more)
Royalties
$ 8,086,673 $ 4,616,209 (with Penn state's size, location and fan base this should be much bigger difference)
Sports Camp
$ - $ 1,809,797 (time to get these out from educational extension and under athletics)
Interest $ 5,009,960 $ 332,152
Other $ 5,757,670 $ 1,707,673
Total: $ 107,751,364 $ 127,920,917

LOL....knock yourself out.

ADVERTISEMENT