ADVERTISEMENT

Bagwell's latest. CR should be here any minute now.

This confirms what many already expected.

Unfortunately, major news outlets of any type won't be interested. Corbett is out of office, Paterno is dead, Penn State is free of sanctions, and Sandusky is in jail.

Reactions: Trey Suevos
this is how people of a certain pedigree do things

Bonus points for the stellar allusion.

4394859-8860501936-tumbl.gif

Reactions: simons96
“The evidence clearly shows that Ron Tomalis committed perjury by stating he didn’t waive the attorney-client privilege,” Bagwell said. “His lie resulted in an unlawful delay of access to an important public record, and wasted the precious resources of the courts, the Department of Education and the Office of Open Records. Because of his misrepresentation, I am considering all available options, both criminal and civil, to hold one of the state’s highest-ranking public officials accountable for his actions.”

Atta boy, Ryan.

Gotta believe things would have been different if Chertoff had been chosen instead of Freeh.

Remember Chertoff's comments about Freeh's investigation in a dispute between Steve Wynn and Kazuo Okada
http://onwardstate.com/2013/05/03/new-louis-freeh-report-facing-familiar-scrutiny/

The summary of Chertoff’s findings are as follows:

The Freeh report was tainted by the timing and circumstances of its creation because the Wynn Board moved within days to act on its content and redeem Aruze USA’s 20 percent stake in the company without providing him the opportunity to respond to its allegations;

The Freeh report’s factual findings and inferences lacked objectivity and factual support;

The Freeh report was “based on unreliable accounts of interested witnesses and implausible inferences”

this to me is just sad...we all know it was a screw job from the beginning but its just sad that it is too late for anything now

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Gotta believe things would have been different if Chertoff had been chosen instead of Freeh.”

You raise an interesting point. Did Freeh have a seat at the table in establishing the "predetermined results" strategy, or did he simply do as he was directed? Hopefully the lawsuit will bring some clarity to this.

Last edited:
Reactions: N&B4PSU
Gotta believe things would have been different if Chertoff had been chosen instead of Freeh.

Remember Chertoff's comments about Freeh's investigation in a dispute between Steve Wynn and Kazuo Okada
http://onwardstate.com/2013/05/03/new-louis-freeh-report-facing-familiar-scrutiny/

The summary of Chertoff’s findings are as follows:

The Freeh report was tainted by the timing and circumstances of its creation because the Wynn Board moved within days to act on its content and redeem Aruze USA’s 20 percent stake in the company without providing him the opportunity to respond to its allegations;

The Freeh report’s factual findings and inferences lacked objectivity and factual support;

The Freeh report was “based on unreliable accounts of interested witnesses and implausible inferences”

Not so sure. I don't think there is any way Corbett would have even remotely recommended any firm that he did not trust to deliver a result that would support the narrative perpetuated by the PA OAG.

“The evidence clearly shows that Ron Tomalis committed perjury by stating he didn’t waive the attorney-client privilege,” Bagwell said. “His lie resulted in an unlawful delay of access to an important public record, and wasted the precious resources of the courts, the Department of Education and the Office of Open Records. Because of his misrepresentation, I am considering all available options, both criminal and civil, to hold one of the state’s highest-ranking public officials accountable for his actions.”

Atta boy, Ryan.
It's doubtful Tomalis ever existed. No work documents, no sightings, no conversation, no home address.
Carolyn Dumaresq can't even remember what he looks like.
All 100% bogus.

Not so sure. I don't think there is any way Corbett would have even remotely recommended any firm that he did not trust to deliver a result that would support the narrative perpetuated by the PA OAG.

Well, you would think so, but did you read the linked article in the original post in this thread?

"Despite offers of help from numerous law firms, trustees Ken Frazier and Ron Tomalis only considered three former prosecutors that were hand-picked by Corbett’s Office of General Counsel.

At the top of the list was Michael Chertoff, the former Secretary of Homeland Security who now works for the international law firm Covington & Burling. Louis J. Freeh was the administration’s second choice. The third was Kevin O’Connor, a former U.S. Attorney and top Justice Department official who at the time was working for the firm Bracewell & Guliani."

It's interesting how these entities were sent out as being approved on an email dated the 8th, yet the Frazier/Tomalis "Special Committee," (later called the "Task Force") didn't come into existence until the 11th when the BOT approved them to chair the thing. Can we figure out which came first in this chicken-egg scenario?

Reactions: Maddog
Reading that it appears Freeh was chosen as the investigator as most likely he agreed to essentially be bought off to provide whatever end result that Corbett and the BOT wanted. Maybe Chertoff actually told them it would be indepedent and that is why he was not chosen.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and A2Nit
It's interesting how these entities were sent out as being approved on an email dated the 8th, yet the Frazier/Tomalis "Special Committee," (later called the "Task Force") didn't come into existence until the 11th when the BOT approved them to chair the thing. Can we figure out which came first in this chicken-egg scenario?

Now that's an interesting observation.

Reactions: jjsocrates
Well, you would think so, but did you read the linked article in the original post in this thread?

"Despite offers of help from numerous law firms, trustees Ken Frazier and Ron Tomalis only considered three former prosecutors that were hand-picked by Corbett’s Office of General Counsel.

At the top of the list was Michael Chertoff, the former Secretary of Homeland Security who now works for the international law firm Covington & Burling. Louis J. Freeh was the administration’s second choice. The third was Kevin O’Connor, a former U.S. Attorney and top Justice Department official who at the time was working for the firm Bracewell & Guliani."

Not sure I follow you Royboy? You indicated that you though the outcome of the investigation may have been different if Chertoff was hired, and I was making the point that it may not have made a difference since Chertoff was also recommended by Corbett. Forgive me if I’m missing something?

I don't see what this "proves" at all ........ of course we wanted a fairly high profile individual (all of Chertoff, Freeh and O'Connor fit the bill there) running the investigation. So what?

Ultimately for the conspiratorial types, one will have to someday prove Freeh took his marching orders from the PSU BOT. I'm still waiting for that to happen.

Last edited:
Not sure I follow you Royboy? You indicated that you though the outcome of the investigation may have been different if Chertoff was hired, and I was making the point that it may not have made a difference since Chertoff was also recommended by Corbett. Forgive me if I’m missing something?

I see Chertoff as having more (way more) integrity than Freeh, and much more likely to have conducted an independent investigation. And I included Chertoff's comments on another of Freeh's investigations -- the same criticisms that Chertoff had there could be applied to what Freeh produced for the PSU BOT.

I don't see what this "proves" at all ........ of course we wanted a fairly high profile individual (all of Chertoff, Freeh and O'Connor fit the bill there) running the investigation. So what?

Ultimately for the conspiratorial types, one will have to someday prove Freeh took his marching orders from the PSU BOT. I'm still waiting for that to happen.

We are never going to get the smoking gun on Freeh without a trial. What this email does prove is that Freeh was far less independent then he was touted as on day one.

Reactions: Zenophile
If the other side didn't view this email as damaging they never would have wasted the time/resources to fight Ryan's request tooth and nail. They finally relented b/c they didn't want ghost man Tomalis getting deposed and perjuring himself even further (or blowing the lid off the whole thing) IMO.

Wasn't Freeh selected over Chertoff b/c of resources (PH) and media savvy

Reactions: JmmyW
We also know that Freeh was not going to conclude anything that didn't align with the OAG. The high fives between OAG and Freeh group just about confirm it.

Reactions: WeR0206
How do you think they would've differed? Undoubtedly they would have found the same e-mails and the timeline would have remained the same.

You think Chertoff would have just presented the findings in a more clinical manner, (i.e. sans rhetoric)?
'Found' the same emails? More like the OAG would have given the same emails to Chertoff, just as they did Freeh.

I would like to know why Chertoff wasn't chosen if he was the first choice. Maybe he was told it would be done a certain way and Chertoff said he wouldn't do what he was told to do. I think royboy was alluding to this in his above comment.

Reactions: NC2017
Are you also saying, by extension, that all three possibilities would have had the same conflict?

I think Corbett is just a political rat covering his backside over a lack of action while he was the AG.

The fact that he had a hand in the selection is no surprise.
I saying the original party line was we are going to find an independent investigator to determine what happened. Then to limit the pool of candidates to three hand picked firms and make every attempt to hide the fact that you placed this limit on the selection process is secretive at best. Again, not proof of wrong doing. But surely not above board independent as it was portrayed. For me, the implication that one person (Corbett) had that mach say in the process makes me skeptical of the independence.

So yes, I am saying all three possibilities would have caused the same appearance of non independence. (Independence must be in appearance and in fact)

Reactions: Trey Suevos
Outside of the timeline and the exhibits in the report, I never paid much attention to Freeh.

Fine for you, Trey Suevos, but consider the impact he seems to have had on public perception, establishing a particular narrative, and cocking the gun for the NCAA to fire. Louis Freeh bears plenty of responsibility for the path of this story IMO, and it's not positive.

How do you think they would've differed? Undoubtedly they would have found the same e-mails and the timeline would have remained the same.

You think Chertoff would have just presented the findings in a more clinical manner, (i.e. sans rhetoric)?
Not sure if serious.

Change the narrative? How does what I said change "the narrative"?

It's my own goddamn opinion. Screw the narratives.

True, you are entitled to your own opinion. But don't try to tell us that Freeh wasn't the main player in getting their message delivered.

I guess they've changed how they name themselves. The numbers are now gone after the names of all of the pro BOT posters who have less than 30 posts. My fault.

Reactions: mbahses
I would like to know why Chertoff wasn't chosen if he was the first choice. Maybe he was told it would be done a certain way and Chertoff said he wouldn't do what he was told to do. I think royboy was alluding to this in his above comment.

I think it's because Freeh teamed up with Pepper Hamilton to win the business, knowing the Pepper Hamilton would be a game-changer. You want to know why Freeh won the contract? Look for the folks at Pepper Hamilton who had the juice and intervened with Corbett to get Freeh selected, so that Freeh in turn could churn billings at Pepper by sending them "3 million" (or whatever) emails to review.

Reactions: JmmyW
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT