ADVERTISEMENT

ASU continues their amazing roll ..

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
as Cade Olivas, who is the top rated freshman in the country, has verballed to ASU.

I've indicated before that I am not crazy about the trends in soccer, LAX, and a few other sports where coaches are offering kids as freshmen (and in some cases earlier), and taking verbals from fresh and sophs. I thought this trend would not take root in wrestling, in large part because colleges need to manage 10 weight classes, and it's rather tough to project where freshmen will project.

Seems as though Cade is a great student, and Willie mentioned in his radio show with with Vais/Christian Pyles (CLICK HERE) that he had heard last year that Cade was likely heading East and that academics were a big part of the equation.

I'll throw in the caveat that I always include when I discuss this subject that if a certain sophomore from Franklin Regional wants to verbal to PSU, I'll drop any and all objections to early verbals in wrestling. :cool:

ASU is building a heck of a program in a very short time.

Reactions: Diego Badman
as Cade Olivas, who is the top rated freshman in the country, has verballed to ASU.

I've indicated before that I am not crazy about the trends in soccer, LAX, and a few other sports where coaches are offering kids as freshmen (and in some cases earlier), and taking verbals from fresh and sophs. I thought this trend would not take root in wrestling, in large part because colleges need to manage 10 weight classes, and it's rather tough to project where freshmen will project.

Seems as though Cade is a great student, and Willie mentioned in his radio show with with Vais/Christian Pyles (CLICK HERE) that he had heard last year that Cade was likely heading East and that academics were a big part of the equation.

I'll throw in the caveat that I always include when I discuss this subject that if a certain sophomore from Franklin Regional wants to verbal to PSU, I'll drop any and all objections to early verbals in wrestling. :cool:

While I agree Zeke seems to be kicking some tail in recruiting, he needs to have strong classes in between the Valencias and Olivas, who will only likely wrestle together for one year

Do you think Nico is in the ear of that "certain sophomore"?

ADVERTISEMENT