ADVERTISEMENT

Are there any good restaurants left in State College???

PSU Soupy

Aug 3, 2008
Spent two days in State College for my daughters orientation this past week and was disappointed in a couple of the old standbys from the 80s when I was at PSU.

The College Diner has dropped significantly in terms of service, cleanliness and all around atmosphere of the Diner, the sticky buns were still good but the lack of atmosphere, service made it more of chore instead of a pleasant breakfast.

However the biggest disappointment of the stay was the almost uneatable food at the Corner Room for lunch. I ordered a fajita salad that might have been the worst meal I have ever attempted to eat, I would have sent it back but I only had a few minutes before my daughter had to be in Hammond for a meeting. My wife had a sandwich with fries and the fries were clearly frozen and cooked about 5 minutes too little as the fries were still cold. My daughter had a hamburger and it seemed fine....but my salad and my wives fries in a restaurant that has been in State College for ever you would think that they could put together this in their sleep but it was terrible.

I am the least picky eater that I know and for me to not be able to eat food is truly an embarrassment for an establishment. My wife had eater there only one other time claimed that she would never eat in the Corner Room again it was that bad.

We did eat at The New Orleans themed restaurant and had a tapas style dinner and the beer and the food was fine. So maybe there is still some hope in State College. The Creamery upon our exit did not disappoint.

Spent two days in State College for my daughters orientation this past week and was disappointed in a couple of the old standbys from the 80s when I was at PSU.

The College Diner has dropped significantly in terms of service, cleanliness and all around atmosphere of the Diner, the sticky buns were still good but the lack of atmosphere, service made it more of chore instead of a pleasant breakfast.

However the biggest disappointment of the stay was the almost uneatable food at the Corner Room for lunch. I ordered a fajita salad that might have been the worst meal I have ever attempted to eat, I would have sent it back but I only had a few minutes before my daughter had to be in Hammond for a meeting. My wife had a sandwich with fries and the fries were clearly frozen and cooked about 5 minutes too little as the fries were still cold. My daughter had a hamburger and it seemed fine....but my salad and my wives fries in a restaurant that has been in State College for ever you would think that they could put together this in their sleep but it was terrible.

I am the least picky eater that I know and for me to not be able to eat food is truly an embarrassment for an establishment. My wife had eater there only one other time claimed that she would never eat in the Corner Room again it was that bad.

We did eat at The New Orleans themed restaurant and had a tapas style dinner and the beer and the food was fine. So maybe there is still some hope in State College. The Creamery upon our exit did not disappoint.

Chick fil A on Atherton never disappoints.

Just had a great dinner at the Allen St. Grille tonight. Faccia Luna is also very good.

One place I always enjoyed was Hi-Way Pizza. In the late 60's I was a regular at the one in downtown State College, now closed. I loved their pizza. Since then I've gone to the one on North Atherton, but I haven't been there in probably 5 years so I can't comment on the current quality of the food.

The Diner has been a dump for awhile now.... (10 years at least). In fact, it may have even closed for a period of time. But yeah, there is absolutely no reason to go there. The Corner Room is hit or miss for lunch, but I have never been too impressed.

The best places to eat in State College are not downtown (minus the Allen Street Grill and Spats).

However the biggest disappointment of the stay was the almost uneatable food at the Corner Room for lunch.

My wife had eater there only one other time claimed that she would never eat in the Corner Room again it was that bad.

Just had a great dinner at the Allen St. Grille tonight. Faccia Luna is also very good.

The Diner has been a dump for awhile now.... (10 years at least). In fact, it may have even closed for a period of time. But yeah, there is absolutely no reason to go there. The Corner Room is hit or miss for lunch, but I have never been too impressed.

The best places to eat in State College are not downtown (minus the Allen Street Grill and Spats).

These remarks are funny because the Allen Street Grille and the Corner Room share the same kitchen.

The Diner and Corner Room/Allen Street Grill aren't the places to go to expect a good meal in State College.

Faccia Luna, Otto's, Spats, and Herwig's are all much better choices.

SC has never really had a good restaurant - not by NY standards. Zola's is a decent attempt. Part of the problem is the game they play with liquor licenses. By restricting the number and keeping them in the hands of a few - there is limited possibility for competition. You have to take what you get. If they opened up the license issue, then you might see the emergence of some real restaurants.

Reactions: tgar and step.eng69
It depends on what you are in the mood for, but my wife and I enjoy The Deli, The Tavern, Baby's, Irving's, and The Corner Room, to name a few. When we are in town, we usually go to The Nittany Lion Inn for brunch.

Reactions: step.eng69
Tavern and Spats are probably the best downtown. Harrison's is good in the Hilton Garden Inn. Also, try Duffy's and Kelly's in Boalsburg. Mountain View is trying to emerge from being the Elks.

Have to remember that it is college town and as long as students frequent a place it will flourish regardless of the food/service.

Have not been to Otto's since they changed locations; hopefully they improved their food and service.

These remarks are funny because the Allen Street Grille and the Corner Room share the same kitchen.
Not sure why that matters. I never had a bad experience at the Allen Street Grill (outside of somewhat slow service at times) but the Corner Room has been a disappointment on several occasions.

Not sure why that matters. I never had a bad experience at the Allen Street Grill (outside of somewhat slow service at times) but the Corner Room has been a disappointment on several occasions.

Why was Corner Room a disappointment? Pickles, Coroner Room, Zeno's and Allen Street Grill all share the same kitchen.

If you want to eat in town near the campus then your choices are somewhat limited as others have stated. The Deli for lunch is always enjoyable IMO. The Corner room for breakfast is a must on any visit. Dinner gets challenging and driving to some off campus sites is likely the best option.

The premise of your question assumes there ever were any good restaurants in State College. Can't say for sure because I've only been around for so long. However the answer for the last 15 years has been a definite "no."

Agree with this. Retaurants sucked when I was there in the mid-90's. And I'm not a that picky of an eater either (really wasn't back then).

Yea The Diner is a pig sty and has been for several years.
I am surprised at the Corner Room, although I haven't been there in a season or 2 it was always pretty good. Spats is still awesome, I was there 2 weeks ago.
There is a Thai Noodle bowl place on Beaver that I thought was very good and I love Faccia Luna.

It has been a couple years but Rotelli's used to have decent food. I know most of the negative reviews there are attached to crazy long wait times on their delivery. The sit down Italian dinners that I have tried there have all been acceptable. Not sure if it is still the same though.

Why was Corner Room a disappointment? Pickles, Coroner Room, Zeno's and Allen Street Grill all share the same kitchen.
I' eh had several meals there where the food was not cooked properly. One time, it even came out cold. Keep in mind though that I have been there a ton, which is why I said that it was hit or miss.

The Corner Room is vastly overrated. Minimally better than an average deli restaurant you'd find pretty much anywhere. The atmosphere is OK.

Reactions: psuguy04
Even though I am local, I rarely eat downtown anymore. The exception is when some friends come into town they love eating at the Tavern. I have always enjoyed their food. Used to love the Highway Pizza right off South Atherton, but it is no longer there.

Has anyone eaten at Lettermans? Didnt get to go to BW game, how is it?

Early reviews that I have heard were that it was mediocre at best. However, that was right after it opened.

I'll echo those same things.

It's decent. Not terribly different than Damon's.....but the stuff is okay. I've had worse.

There really aren't any good restaurants in State College. Herwig's hasn't been the same since they moved. Otto's hasn't been the same since it moved. Those were the two best places in town for some time. The Allen Street Grill is OK. Spats is OK (along with the associated food at the Skeller). Cozy Thai is OK. Say Sushi is OK. Faccia Luna, Hi-Way Pizza & Home Delivery are OK. The Indian places in town are OK. I guess Zola's is good, but pricey, and Irving's is good, but is more of a coffee shop than a restaurant. Best greasy bar food might still be at Champs. I haven't been to the Tavern in quite a while.

The College Diner never had good service nor was big on cleanliness for as long as I can remember. I think you just overlook that stuff at 3am on a Saturday morning.

Has anyone eaten at Lettermans? Didnt get to go to BW game, how is it?

Lot better than Damon's was! Doing a nice job in the kitchen and front of the house. Service has improved 100%. Décor and menu are a work in progress. Do not believe that it will ever me great dining location but it will be a good sports bar.

I think a lot of you are expecting too much from college town restaurants, especially those that are downtown.

That being said, I had a surprisingly good meal at Mario and Luigi's a few years ago.

Just an FYI Allen street grille and corner room have 2 completely different kitchens, different cooks and different managers. The food is ordered is not shared either.

I think a lot of you are expecting too much from college town restaurants, especially those that are downtown.

That being said, I had a surprisingly good meal at Mario and Luigi's a few years ago.
M&L has been consistently good for a long time. Have never had a bad meal there.

In all seriousness, the Food truck that is at some of the local farmer's markets (and possibly some other places) has awesome food. I've had the best tamales I've ever eaten there and great tacos, guac, etc. I've heard that the owner worked at one of Rick Bayliss' restaurants in Chicago.

My daughter waited over an hour for dinner at Lettermans on Saturday evening.

Cozy Thai, The Deli, Spats, Whiskers (NLI), Kelly's (Boalsburg)

Gigi's Southern Table is excellent!

I had a very good meal at Zola's when I was in town for golf two weekends ago. In the last 45 years of living in and visiting State College, I haven't had a better meal. I love the Tavern, and became an adult eating at HiWay Pizza and at Herlocker's, but I would never drive more than a few miles to eat at any of them. I would for Zola's.. Frankly, I was surprised to find that kind of restaurant in State College. Just bring a sweatshirt or sweater in the warmer weather...their a/c could serve as a meat locker.

Was just in State College. The last two trips to Zola and Happy Valley Brewing were good. Two different atmospheres/menues, but both good. I like the Tavern for one thing only.....dinner on Friday night before the game. They do a decent filet and that's about it. Otherwise, I don't thing I'd go there.

ADVERTISEMENT