ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else hear Neuheisal on Xirius 91 today?

EdH85

Sep 17, 2002
They were discussing what one thing would you change back to the way it was. They suggested tear-away jerseys and other such things. Neuheisal came on and said he would like to get Joe Paterno back to where he should be which is a legend and icon. Packer and Phil Steele (?) didn't know what to say, so Neuheisal elaborated as to what a great coach and educator and human being he was. It was soooo good to hear someone say that on a national show.

Really nice to hear that he said that. If I ever cross paths with him I will say a big thank you for an intelligent, fair comment and not believing the media BS

frazier will try to get him fired.

Seriously, that is great to hear.

Great to hear the support for Joe by an "outsider," albeit one who has seemingly dined at every conceivable venue in State College. ;)

Exactly! Wasn't it long rumored that Rick was going to be JVP's OCoordinator at various and sundry times? I was actually at the Rose Bowl game in 1984 when Neuheisel and his unranked 6-4-1 (that's right, 6-4-1) UCLA Bruins absolutely slaughtered #4 Illinois 45-9 in a game that wasn't as close as the score indicated. I've always liked him and now I know why! On a side note, my wife of 3 months and I stayed with the new in-laws in their RV on the Rose Bowl grounds for several days prior to the game. Father-in-law was from Illinois, I was PAC-10 all the way, and much more enjoyed the drive after the game back across the desert to PHX. Somehow we survived the RV close quarters 3 months in and are working on 31+ years and counting...

Last edited:
I remember Neuheisel as a QB on our local SA Gunlingers team (old USFL, I think) around the mid-1980s. He was always reported to be a nice guy to fans, especially the youngsters. I admire him even more for having the courage to admit publicly what a great person JoePa was.

They were discussing what one thing would you change back to the way it was. They suggested tear-away jerseys and other such things. Neuheisal came on and said he would like to get Joe Paterno back to where he should be which is a legend and icon. Packer and Phil Steele (?) didn't know what to say, so Neuheisal elaborated as to what a great coach and educator and human being he was. It was soooo good to hear someone say that on a national show.

YES!!!! You beat me to the punch!! I was going to post it too!!

Neuheisel is now my second favorite living coach in all of College Football!! If JF ever leaves, Neuheisel's my guy!! He was absolutely outstanding today telling it like it is.

I actually got the feeling today that if he was our HC, he could put things back to where they were. Guy wouldn't be at all ashamed of our past. In fact, he would brag about it! I would support Rick one billion percent to take over for JF if JF ever left.

I actually thought I had gone back in time when I heard him talk. I am DEFINITELY now a HUGE Rick Neuheisel fan!!!!! :):):):):):):):):):):)

Last edited:
I remember Neuheisel as a QB on our local SA Gunlingers team (old USFL, I think) around the mid-1980s. He was always reported to be a nice guy to fans, especially the youngsters. I admire him even more for having the courage to admit publicly what a great person JoePa was.

I barely remember that. But that would mean I also watched him play against our infamous Arizona Wranglers! The USFL...those were the days:)

Rick has always been supportive of Joe. When the program was struggling a dozen years ago, and Rick was the subject of rumors, Rick quashed them but made sure he spoke his admiration for Joe. I think Joe publicly supported Rick at one time during Rick's stint at Washington. Rick never forgot it. I appreciate him more now.

Joe was never one to pile on. He felt compassion for Galen Hall. I'm sure he supported Rick when he lost his job over that ridiculous NCAA Basketball Bracket.

Jack Arute has also been very complimentary to Paterno as well over the past few weeks (I think he was with Testaverde who just went quiet). IIRC Packer was in the attack mode when everything hit years ago.

Last edited:
Jack Arute has also been very complimentary to Paterno as well over the past few weeks (I think he was with Testaverde who just went quiet). IIRC Packer was in the attack mode when everything hit yeas ago.
I think you might mean Gino Toretta, although it would be better if it was Testaverde.

BWI Group.....I was the one to post about Rick N. at the Tavern as a joke, it was my 8th or 9th post....I had been reading the boards since the Plotit Days and posted that I was a waiter and that Rick N. was at the Tavern.......I could not believe that Rick N. was asked about being in State College and that he had to continue to deny that he was having discussions with PSU.

The Rick N. at State College showed up in a Yahoo and a USA Today newspaper article.

It obviously never happened....and now I feel relief for the guilt that I have been carrying with me.

For someone that has so few posts to his name....I crack up that Rick N at the Tavern or Bill Cowher coming to PSU was at the Tavern etc.......the post that keeps making me laugh.

Arute once opined on his radio show that Penn State was the most arrogant program in college football. I am not a fan.

BWI Group.....I was the one to post about Rick N. at the Tavern as a joke, it was my 8th or 9th post....I had been reading the boards since the Plotit Days and posted that I was a waiter and that Rick N. was at the Tavern.......I could not believe that Rick N. was asked about being in State College and that he had to continue to deny that he was having discussions with PSU.

The Rick N. at State College showed up in a Yahoo and a USA Today newspaper article.

It obviously never happened....and now I feel relief for the guilt that I have been carrying with me.

For someone that has so few posts to his name....I crack up that Rick N at the Tavern or Bill Cowher coming to PSU was at the Tavern etc.......the post that keeps making me laugh.

And Rick was funny when he had to come out and deny things. There were so many Neuheisel sightings, that he equated it to a "Where's Waldo?" scenario. I really wanted Rick to succeed at UCLA as its head coach.

I think you might mean Gino Toretta, although it would be better if it was Testaverde.

I stand corrected. I think you're right- it was Gino Toretta. Thanks. ;)

Last edited:
Listen the sirius 91 cfb radio daily.

Rick has been a class act over the last five years regarding PSU. He would be welcome at my home or tailgate anytime.

From the day the Paterno suite was filed, Arute was supportive of the family and the fan base.

Gino has also been supportive and see's through smoke.

Packer is a good on-air host, but he has love tugs with the SEC and ACC all the time.

Please email Sirius to bring Bill King back to the morning slot. He was truly good at his job.

And Rick was funny when he had to come out and deny things. There were so many Neuheisel sightings, that he equated it to a "Where's Waldo?" scenario. I really wanted Rick to succeed at UCLA as its head coach.

Agreed no one would believe that he was not interviewing with PSU based upon some bogus internet reports.......

You did well my friend and supplied us with many years of fun. Cudos for going down in infamy.

Reactions: PSU Soupy
ADVERTISEMENT