ADVERTISEMENT

Andrew Long is getting another chance

I talked to him last week and he is very excited and grateful to be getting another chance. Good kid and I hope he succeeds at Grand View.

Reactions: amalone
I would love to see him wrestle again. His personality and tenaciousness on a mat were worth every second watching him on it. Off the mat... he's atoned for his mistakes and I'm glad he can move on. His life story seemed to have a less than promising future and end... but from what has been discussed here in length... Andrew Long has made some life altering decisions. I only hope he ascends higher.

This is the Andrew Long I remember from his time at Penn State. Very humble kid with a severe drinking problem. With the drinking problem behind him... he can be more himself and grow.

Video link attached below:

Yes... He is a fighter in all ways.... Cael Sanderson... 2011.

I was working at the table for this match and it was one of of the greatest displays of fighting through adversity when the entire match was going against Andrew Long. He just decided... he had the "s----" of being ridden by Scottie Sentes, turned in, and planted Sentes. Still can't believe it to this day.

Good for AL. Lots of people his age deal with these stuggles....prayers they are behind him.

I was working at the table for this match and it was one of of the greatest displays of fighting through adversity when the entire match was going against Andrew Long. He just decided... he had the "s----" of being ridden by Scottie Sentes, turned in, and planted Sentes. Still can't believe it to this day.

Wow. The hair on the back of my neck is still standing after watching that.

Remember that turn of events well. He was tough as hell

Remember that turn of events well. He was tough as hell

Andrew Long was relentless. One of my all time favorite Penn State wrestlers. I know that tough as hell mentality has served him well... to get through to this point in his life. Good for him.

The interview if you listen to it after coming back to take 3rd in 2011... was the real Andrew Long. It literally tore me to pieces to see alcohol dismember a great kid. His comeback... will help put that faith back into peoples hearts for a great kid. I hope we all can bask in his comeback... along with the Penn State coaches, Penn State fans and community who never gave up on him... who stayed in contact with him...when he was at his lowest. He's come so far... just to get to here. Unbelievable comebacks are nothing new to him. I wish him nothing, but the greatest success.

This is the Andrew Long I remember from his time at Penn State. Very humble kid with a severe drinking problem. With the drinking problem behind him... he can be more himself and grow.

Video link attached below:

From what I know, his drinking problem will always be front and center. I hope he can stay sober and maximize this chance.

Reactions: Dagboi
From what I know, his drinking problem will always be front and center. I hope he can stay sober and maximize this chance.
I knew what Amalone meant. I also know what you are trying to say. The recovering alcoholics and the posters who have lived with them, really understand your point.

Excerpt from the above linked article talking about the current day... Andrew Long. "How can he best prove himself... if people like you want to constantly beat the drum (no pun intended Chief) of his mistakes from the past". Let him prove he's up to the task... before you "hope he stays sober". I really think after a year of NOT drinking in jail and then working for a Teen Foundation for troubled teens for a year has proven that Andrew can abstain from drinking. It also has been clearly stated in many forums including your beloved HR... where you also beat your drum for more worthless causes... that many who participate in Andrews life, have stated, that extreme faith has replaced the bottle he used to seek solace in.

Andrew's drinking won't be front and center if he continues on the path he has been on for years... to even get this minute chance. Evidently, the people in the know and administrators at Grand View who want to give him the benefit of the doubt have more faith in him than you do. Stop beating your drum... and get some faith, Chief. My brother was a raging drunk... lived to drink.. but NOW is repulsed by it. He lived with me and chased me around my kitchen with a butcher's knife around my own home while drunk. I have more faith he'll follow the path he's already established... without the negativism of doubters.

Excerpt:

"We talked a lot about what drove him at that point in his life as far as what kind of person he was compared to now. I think the thing I'm excited about for Andrew is his faith is a real big part of his life now, and that wasn't the case before.

"I think that's part of why, as a school, we felt more comfortable about it because Grand View is a faith-based institution. Hearing him come in and talk about (how) his faith is really leading him now and he's trying to use it as his guide, that's something for me, personally, that makes me feel a lot more comfortable with his situation."

Mitchell said Long spent a year at Teen Challenge of the Midlands, a faith-based residential program in Colfax. Long has continued to live and work at the training center as an intern, and Mitchell said the 26-year-old Creston native plans to make the 25-mile commute to school at Grand View.

"He's got a really good group of people around him right there, and I think he feels those are some people who have really been a good foundation for him for his faith and where he's at right now," Mitchell said. "I'm happy about that, too. I think it's a good transition where he's going to be going to school and commuting to Grand View every day, but he's still got a good group of core people around him that I think can help keep him on track."

Did you read this before you commented or were you caught up in beating your own drum? Any thing not an Iowa plus... has to be a negative. Or Andrew, an Iowa native helps win Penn State's 1st National title. Lingering latent hate maybe??? You like to stretch... so I did. Iowa fans have a fanatical hatred for Iowa State also. And you're MR. Super Hawk.

Lighten up Francis. A recovering alcoholic knows what I say to be true...one is always just a drink away from being back in the abyss. My sister was sober for 16 years but told me that she struggled ever day. It's why she rarely missed a meeting. BTW, this has nothing to do with wrestling. His sobriety is now his biggest battle.

Reactions: Dagboi
Lighten up Francis. A recovering alcoholic knows what I say to be true...one is always just a drink away from being back in the abyss. My sister was sober for 16 years but told me that she struggled ever day. It's why she rarely missed a meeting. BTW, this has nothing to do with wrestling. His sobriety is now his biggest battle.

I was thinking the same thing when you made your comments. Let the kid... breathe... before you challenge his cause and future. That's why I referenced my brother who is only a year older than me, yet lived with me. Raging alcoholic who is now repulsed by alcohol. It goes both ways. Don't let an agenda... be your guide.

Only you would think something like this could come down to an agenda...I said nothing negative. Some things are bigger than wrestling or which colors one wears.

The point was that he's been sober for over two years and as the extensive background check has been done by Grand View... they feel as a faith based institution of higher learning... that they should pass the baton of grace to Andrew Long. I applaud them for doing so.

Go get 'em Andrew. I wish you nothing but determination and success.

Wish Andrew the best going forward.
"One day at a time" and trust in your higher power and great things will follow Andrew.

I was thinking the same thing when you made your comments. Let the kid... breathe... before you challenge his cause and future. That's why I referenced my brother who is only a year older than me, yet lived with me. Raging alcoholic who is now repulsed by alcohol. It goes both ways. Don't let an agenda... be your guide.
Amalone, I empathize with you and 32. My brother was an alcoholic and a gambling disorder. Awesome kid who achieved more before most do before he was age 30....and lost it all. Truly my friend, I really did not see chief trying to advance an agenda. He was making a point that the vast majority of alcoholics will readily admit: "Every day is another step".

I am thrilled that your brother doesn't feel similarly. I am so happy you no longer have to worry about being chased around your house by your brother with a knife. Now all you have to worry about is being chased around the bedroom by one of your many female fans!;)

ADVERTISEMENT