ADVERTISEMENT

Andrew Alton

Diego Badman

Apr 6, 2015
Does Andrew Alton have another year of eligibility? I have heard some third party discussion that he may try to get in Lock Haven and wrestle.

Has anyone else heard this?

Does Andrew Alton have another year of eligibility?

No, he doesn't. He wrestled as a true freshman. He redshirted as a true soph. As a true junior, he wrestled his 2nd season. As a true senior, he wrestled his 3rd season, though ended up not being able to go after the Michigan match in early February. This past season would have been his 4th and final season. If I recall correctly, he underwent shoulder surgery last Spring, and then suffered an injury in another joint during the offseason, and was never able to wrestle.

I have heard some third party discussion that he may try to get in Lock Haven and wrestle.

The only way this would make sense would be if he were granted a medical redshirt by the NCAA, and given a 6th year to wrestle his 4th season. In almost all cases, the NCAA does not grant a medical redshirt if an athlete had previously used a redshirt. Since Andrew did so in his soph. season, it seems highly unlikely that he would be granted a medical redshirt. The NCAA has shown some inconsistency over the years, so I hesitate to say that there's no chance that Andrew would be granted a medical redshirt.

To answer your last question, I have not heard anything about Andrew going to Lock Haven to wrestle, but I'm also not around the team, and didn't attend the banquet. Perhaps Tim, Roar, androcles,or others could comment on whether there was any such discussion at the banquet.

To qualify for a sixth year you have to miss the majority of two season due to injury, not just redshirting to train, etc. Seems to me he has but I wonder if his efforts to come back at the end of the past two seasons will disqualify him from this?

There's a deadline as long as you don't compete past it you're good I know he missed this entire season but idk how him competing in February in 2014 is going to effect him

Lets just say for arguments sake that Andrew Alton gets a 6th year granted to him. Where do you guys see him fitting into the lineup? With rumor of Retherford moving up to 149 and Nolf at 157. Would he displace either? Or would Zain stay down at 141? A healthy Andrew Alton is a special talent, that's just something that hasn't been seen for quite a few years. I'd love to see him have one more chance, regardless.

Lets just say for arguments sake that Andrew Alton gets a 6th year granted to him. Where do you guys see him fitting into the lineup? With rumor of Retherford moving up to 149 and Nolf at 157. Would he displace either? Or would Zain stay down at 141? A healthy Andrew Alton is a special talent, that's just something that hasn't been seen for quite a few years. I'd love to see him have one more chance, regardless.

I don't think he does fit at PSU. Cael has made comments over the past couple of years which, perhaps, are not so veiled criticisms of Andrew's commitment. I pull for both Altons to succeed. The hype surrounding them coming out of high school really put them under the microscope.

If he has another red-shirt coming and if he has the desire, a move to Lock Haven just may make sense.

If the NCAA follows its own rules (insert punchline here), Andrew won't be granted the 6th year. Everyone involved understands that, but what the heck, no harm in trying.

No week is complete without some Alton rumor that either fails the sniff test up-front or proves baseless.

If the NCAA follows its own rules (insert punchline here), Andrew won't be granted the 6th year. Everyone involved understands that, but what the heck, no harm in trying.

No week is complete without some Alton rumor that either fails the sniff test up-front or proves baseless.
Does Andrew Alton have another year of eligibility? I have heard some third party discussion that he may try to get in Lock Haven and wrestle.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cael is ready to move on. He has kept his line-up in flux the last two years waiting to see if the Altons would be healthy, and if they could get into wrestling shape once they are. The year before that they spent most of the year on suspension.

It's unfortunate AA never really had a chance to show what he could do, but we have a bunch of kids on the team who deserve their chance now.

If AA does get a 6th year I suspect it will be at Lock Haven ... I wish him well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diego Badman
ADVERTISEMENT