ADVERTISEMENT

A heads up on the message board ...

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
Rivals is rolling out the system-wide new message boards tonight. From midnight to 6 am (or there abouts), either EDT or CDT, the board will be read-only during the transition.

When the new boards are up and running, they will be in a new format, topic view. There is no option to select thread view, or hybrid view. Topic view is not my favorite format, but I'll do my best to get used to it.

Anyway, just wanted to pass along a heads up to those of you that only frequent this board, and not the McAndrew board or the Lions Den board on BWI, where this subject has already been broadcast.

Tom

Reactions: Maddog
Love the new format. Guys, please give it a chance. Lots of knowledge was always available here and I don't want to see anyone leave.
9_medium.gif

Rivals is rolling out the system-wide new message boards tonight. From midnight to 6 am (or there abouts), either EDT or CDT, the board will be read-only during the transition.

When the new boards are up and running, they will be in a new format, topic view. There is no option to select thread view, or hybrid view. Topic view is not my favorite format, but I'll do my best to get used to it.

Anyway, just wanted to pass along a heads up to those of you that only frequent this board, and not the McAndrew board or the Lions Den board on BWI, where this subject has already been broadcast.

Tom
Just testing to see if I can reply to a message here. Was not able to reply to messages or add text to a new post in the McAndrew forum.

Never mind - now I am able to post on McAndrew.

Dept of Weird Internet Alert:

Worked fine on my laptop. Typed BWI in the URL field, selected old URL, brought me here.

Not so great on phone. Typed BWI in URL field, selected old URL, took me to Rivals national football recruiting page.

Then went to old BWI home page, selected this page from menu, again ended up at football recruiting. Looks like links weren't updated.

Worked fine on my laptop. Typed BWI in the URL field, selected old URL, brought me here.

Not so great on phone. Typed BWI in URL field, selected old URL, took me to Rivals national football recruiting page.

Then went to old BWI home page, selected this page from menu, again ended up at football recruiting. Looks like links weren't updated.

Yea, still a few kinks being worked out with the forums like this one, but I think in the long run this is going to be a significant upgrade for the quality of everything. Until then, this link: http://bwi.forums.rivals.com will get you where you need to be, aka the message board index, where you can select The Wrestling Room.

If you have any questions or want assistance, I'll be here all day to help out (the best I can).

welcome to the modern internet fellas, this upgrade was a long time coming.

Yeah, for a while this morning my bookmark was taking me to Univ of Arizona's football page; now it's working OK again.

Yea, still a few kinks being worked out with the forums like this one, but I think in the long run this is going to be a significant upgrade for the quality of everything. Until then, this link: http://bwi.forums.rivals.com will get you where you need to be, aka the message board index, where you can select The Wrestling Room.

If you have any questions or want assistance, I'll be here all day to help out (the best I can).

Please ask for an option to switch to Thread View or an option to switch to "Classic View." Many posters liked the efficiency of being able to quickly scan the board in that fashion. Probably a ship that has sailed. But appreciate you being on a non-premium board, so we can provide feedback to you Tim.

Please ask for an option to switch to Thread View or an option to switch to "Classic View." Many posters liked the efficiency of being able to quickly scan the board in that fashion. Probably a ship that has sailed. But appreciate you being on a non-premium board, so we can provide feedback to you Tim.

Ah, sorry, TJ, but thread view is going to be a thing of the past with this new setup. An alternative that we're suggesting, though, is to "follow" your favorite posters. When you do that, every time they post anything, you'll be notified about it with a red alert next to the flag in the top right corner of your screen. (You'll also get a quick popup if you're currently online.)

You can follow people by clicking on their avi, or picture, and clicking follow. (You can also ignore a poster this way, too.) Maybe easier, if you have a list of favorite posters in mind, you can go to THIS LINK and type in their names and then click 'Save Changes'. From then on you'll be notified about their every post. If you're away from the board for a while, come back and click that flag and then you can quickly sort through all of the posts from your favorites in a quick one-shop stop, so to speak.

Let me know if there's anything else.

An alternative that we're suggesting, though, is to "follow" your favorite posters..

This is an excellent suggestion and works well for me. The wrestling board is sometimes fairly inactive so if I follow posters who are likely to weigh in on topics that are getting substantive discussion, I can get a notification to come over here when I'm checking out the Lions Den or another Rivals forum.

A question to Tim:

I would like to follow Tom McA - since he starts a lot of topics here and I would like to get notifications, however, I know he is the moderator of the BWI/McAndrew board and I'm sure his volume of posts there swamps the posts here. I don't need a notification every time Tom posts on the free board, but would like one when he posts on the Wrestling Room.

Is there a way to follow posters on a particular forum? Or a way to follow a just a particular forum (get notifications every time there is a new post in the Wrestling Room)? Or a way to follow a particular thread?

TIA

A question to Tim:

I would like to follow Tom McA - since he starts a lot of topics here and I would like to get notifications, however, I know he is the moderator of the BWI/McAndrew board and I'm sure his volume of posts there swamps the posts here. I don't need a notification every time Tom posts on the free board, but would like one when he posts on the Wrestling Room.

Is there a way to follow posters on a particular forum? Or a way to follow a just a particular forum (get notifications every time there is a new post in the Wrestling Room)? Or a way to follow a particular thread?

TIA

That's a good question, dice. From what I've found so far, if you favorite someone, you get notified for all their posts on every board. If I find out differently I'll be sure to let you know.

But you can follow a specific board or a specific thread by clicking the "Watch Forum" button at the top of each forum or the "Watch Thread" button at the top of each thread. In both instances, they're located to the left of the blue "Post New Thread" button. Hope that helps.

Another way to maximize the usefulness of the new format is through thoughtful moderation.

I suggest moderators set up logical threads for common topics such as recruiting, 2016 season, PA high school, etc.

Doing this will create order in the forum and will be a great archive of info over time.

Reactions: jtothemfp
Another way to maximize the usefulness of the new format is through thoughtful moderation.

I suggest moderators set up logical threads for common topics such as recruiting, 2016 season, PA high school, etc.

Doing this will create order in the forum and will be a great archive of info over time.
I LIKEY

Great idea. Any other suggestions we're definitely open to as well. I'm still figuring all the new features out too, but once we do we'll get something going like this.

ADVERTISEMENT