ADVERTISEMENT

3 words for this game...TRUST YOUR DEFENSE

Psubiomed

Jul 25, 2021
Saw it over and over and over again this year. Teams losing games because they didn't trust their defense...happened to Oregon last week..happened to the Eagles today...on and on.

This defense is the best in the nation. Trust it. Shoe or anywhere else.

So you're saying don't just "chuck it deep"? ;)

I actually could see that philosophy working better against Michigan in Happy Valley than in the Shoe this week. We can't expect our defense to hold OSU to 76 yards and 4 first downs. OSU has too many weapons (on that note...let's hope that Egbuka and Henderson are still injured next week...those are two of their top 4 offensive weapons) to put the entire game on the defense. PSU fans who expect us to stonewall OSU like we did Iowa or UMass are delusional.

Our offense needs to continue to methodically move the ball...chew some clock...and score a decent amount of points. If we're having 5 minute drives with 3 or 4 first downs each time, we don't need to score 35 points to win. We can win a game like that 24-17.

I actually could see that philosophy working better against Michigan in Happy Valley than in the Shoe this week. We can't expect our defense to hold OSU to 76 yards and 4 first downs. OSU has too many weapons (on that note...let's hope that Egbuka and Henderson are still injured next week...those are two of their top 4 offensive weapons) to put the entire game on the defense. PSU fans who expect us to stonewall OSU like we did Iowa or UMass are delusional.

Our offense needs to continue to methodically move the ball...chew some clock...and score a decent amount of points. If we're having 5 minute drives with 3 or 4 first downs each time, we don't need to score 35 points to win. We can win a game like that 24-17.

Didn't say anything like that. Said don't take stupid gambles. Ball at midfield on 4th and short with the lead? Punt the ball and play defense. Oregon did not trust and they lost.

With our defense, I'm with you. Punting in that situation is smart...and Franklin has liked to gamble sometimes.

But that was the right call for Lanning yesterday. Did you see what Washington did in TWO PLAYS after the 4th down stop? Two play...50 yards and a TD. That's why he wanted to ice the game with a first down. Washington's offense was scorching hot. They could've punted Washington inside the 10 and they'd probably made it down the field in 4 plays instead of 2 and scored.

Reactions: Psubiomed
Saw it over and over and over again this year. Teams losing games because they didn't trust their defense...happened to Oregon last week..happened to the Eagles today...on and on.

This defense is the best in the nation. Trust it. Shoe or anywhere else.
Yes playing conservatively vs. OSU has worked great.

• Haha
Reactions: bluehair666
Didn't say anything like that. Said don't take stupid gambles. Ball at midfield on 4th and short with the lead? Punt the ball and play defense. Oregon did not trust and they lost.
Oregon got too cute with the ‘we play aggressively’ mantra. That’s perfectly fine but you have to be careful about leaving points on the field. If Oregon had kicked the FG just before the half it would have had a huge affect on the game late.

I agree that giving the D as much field as possible to defend will be key. Can’t get cute and give OSU short fields or it could be a long day. Even this PSU D will tire if they’re constantly on the field because the O has a lot of 3 and outs.

Playing conservatively vs. OSU is how you lose.
No, having a 6th year senior QB continually choke and turn the ball over 3 times in the 4th quarter, at home for crying out loud, is how you lose to OSU. A starting QB that went 0-4 vs OSU. A Head Coach that can’t step up and win a big game (1-8 vs OSU) is how you lose to OSU. It is past time for this narrative to change.

No, having a 6th year senior QB continually choke and turn the ball over 3 times in the 4th quarter, at home for crying out loud, is how you lose to OSU. A starting QB that went 0-4 vs OSU. A Head Coach that can’t step up and win a big game (1-8 vs OSU) is how you lose to OSU. It is past time for this narrative to change.
Agree, and for the narrative to change you need to take it at OSU and win the game. You need to step on the gas the entire game and dont let up.

Agree, and for the narrative to change you need to take it at OSU and win the game. You need to step on the gas the entire game and dont let up.
I don’t care how we do it - great plays by us, mistakes by them, bad ref call or non-call that favors us (absurd in this corrupt pig sty of a conference, I know), or act of God - win the freakin game, Coach 4-14!!

Both sides are right. We have to take risks but they need to be well thought out and you can't just always go for it like Lanning did.

You lose when 3 or 4 game breaking receivers are on the other side and I see only 1 while the other is playing hurt so you bracket Harrison and you limit their big gains

My concern in this game is if the PSU interior D can match the physicality of the OSU Oline.
Maryland's d-line dominated their o-line for the better part of three quarters; I would hope that our d-line is at least the equal of Maryland, which it should be, and probably better, and be able to hold up fairly well to at least control their running game. If they can't do that, then OSU probably will win by double digits.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
My concern in this game is if the PSU interior D can match the physicality of the OSU Oline.
I see the opposite being the concern, this is the game where the OLine needs to live up to the preseason hype. Ohio State is not going to beat us jamming the ball down our throats. Michigan may, but not Ohio State.

I am more concerned with big plays, and the way to limit those is ball control and time of possession.

Reactions: bdgan
The reason I feel it resembles 08 and not 02 is because I believe it's flipped from 02 because in 02 Ohio State had the defense that Penn State has now and Penn state had the defense in 02 that Ohio state has now

I hope he is right, but he isn’t right very often.
I wonder which one of his assistants told him to make that pick, as I doubt that this WWF wanna-be has seen a moment of PSU this season and probably only watched OSU against ND.

Reactions: YYZ86
With our defense, I'm with you. Punting in that situation is smart...and Franklin has liked to gamble sometimes.

But that was the right call for Lanning yesterday. Did you see what Washington did in TWO PLAYS after the 4th down stop? Two play...50 yards and a TD. That's why he wanted to ice the game with a first down. Washington's offense was scorching hot. They could've punted Washington inside the 10 and they'd probably made it down the field in 4 plays instead of 2 and scored.

Not sure your definition of scorching hot but Washington's offense hadn't scored since their first possession of the 2nd half... Prior to their final drive Washington's 4 drives in the second half in order were TD, Punt (3 and out), Punt (3 and out) and turnover on downs. You wouldn't describe our offense as scorching hot in that scenario.

Biggest question will Carter and Singleton show up for this game was expecting a lot more out of these 2 this year don’t know what has happened to these guys

Not sure your definition of scorching hot but Washington's offense hadn't scored since their first possession of the 2nd half... Prior to their final drive Washington's 4 drives in the second half in order were TD, Punt (3 and out), Punt (3 and out) and turnover on downs. You wouldn't describe our offense as scorching hot in that scenario.
Oregon handed them the game.

Just my hunch that field position is going to be huge in this game. Give either team a short field a couple/three times and they are going to be real tough to beat. The key players could very well be those on the special teams.

Reactions: Psubiomed
Just my hunch that field position is going to be huge in this game. Give either team a short field a couple/three times and they are going to be real tough to beat. The key players could very well be those on the special teams.
this is why I feel the closest thing to this year's game is 08...this game feels eerily similar to that one.

The 2008 team had Clark at qb, who was a gamer. I know that he got knocked out of that game, but he still played the majority of it. If Allar can stay composed, I believe that we’ll have a fighting chance.
With our defense I think this game's a toss-up. I think the key will be if we can run the ball at all. If we can't run and we put it all on Allar then I dont like our chances.

The 2008 team had Clark at qb, who was a gamer. I know that he got knocked out of that game, but he still played the majority of it. If Allar can stay composed, I believe that we’ll have a fighting chance.
The thing about that game was that Clark was Playing on a concussion and our offense was even more conservative in that PARTICULAR game than this season so far

Biggest question will Carter and Singleton show up for this game was expecting a lot more out of these 2 this year don’t know what has happened to these guys

Carter has been doing his responsibilities vs freelancing this year. He seems to understand his reads a lot better. While his personal stats aren't elaborate, he's playing effective football and like the majority of our defense, they are great as a group with nobody standing out significantly in the stat department. Teams are also game planning for him.

2nd thing I would add is Jacobs is having his best year as well. 3rd is substitution pattern. 4th is ball control offense.

Singleton I give you. He's just not been impressive yet.

Saturday is the day these guys can cement their legacies. I expect big games from both.

Alot of folks are concerned about keeping Allar clean...but what if the Buckeyes can't keep McCord clean? What if the qb that gets hurt is Ohio State for a change? Is Brown ready to run their whole offense or do they become one dimensional

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT