ADVERTISEMENT

23 most stunning views in the USA (from Travel & Leisure)

I always wish that the batter's eye in center field could be lowered a little -- or a lot. It'd be great to see the section of the Clemente Bridge that's obscured by it.

Reactions: fairgambit
Very nice. My office is 2 miles from Battery Spencer in the Marin Headlands.
Ridden the bike and hiked there many times.

What is your strategy for winning the wildcard game against Kershaw or Bumgarner ?
Who are the batters ?

I always wish that the batter's eye in center field could be lowered a little -- or a lot. It'd be great to see the section of the Clemente Bridge that's obscured by it.
Agree. It would be even more spectacular, but it is, after all, a ballpark.

What is your strategy for winning the wildcard game against Kershaw or Bumgarner ?
Who are the batters ?
Whoa, I thought I was getting ahead of the game by talking about World Series tickets. I think much will depend on who is hot and who is not when the playoffs start.

Silly when talking about great views in the USA to mention a ball park. If it must be sports I think it's the 18th hole in Monteray, not sure of the course name. I have traveled quite a bit, Alaska to Miami, Maine to San Diego and even a couple of trips to Hawaii but the grandest view of all is the Grand Canyon.

Reactions: TMS1950
Silly when talking about great views in the USA to mention a ball park. If it must be sports I think it's the 18th hole in Monteray, not sure of the course name. I have traveled quite a bit, Alaska to Miami, Maine to San Diego and even a couple of trips to Hawaii but the grandest view of all is the Grand Canyon.
I might agree if the "great view" were of the ball park, but the the "great view" is from the ball park.

Last edited:
Reactions: thecoolestfish

Who are the batters ?
Don't like the thought of either option. Guess they're going to have to strap in and push hard to take the division...if it were only that easy.

How can you compare the view even FROM a ball park to of all things the Grand Canyon. I'm guessing the view from the SF Giants park is pretty awesome too but I haven't attended a game there.

How can you compare the view even FROM a ball park to of all things the Grand Canyon. I'm guessing the view from the SF Giants park is pretty awesome too but I haven't attended a game there.
I see your point, but the article is about stunning views. Some are natural wonders and others are man made. Certainly I prefer natural views myself, but that aside, most articles that I have seen about ballparks have rated the PNC view to be the best in baseball and few would argue it is not stunning.

Is the view from PNC a "wow" view, "wow" was my first word when I saw the Grand Canyon. If speaking of athletic venues, how about Chavez with its NATURAL beauty, haven't been there in forty (40) years so hope it hasn't changed. I have seen PNC but only from a restaurant on top of the hill, I'm not from Pittsburgh, client took us to the restaurant. It was a nice view but not "wow".

Its a great view but it should be Sophie Masloff Memorial Park. Plus that ain't a very good shot. Much better would have been a night shot just after sunset with the moon rising over the city. Spectacular!

Last edited:
Is the view from PNC a "wow" view, "wow" was my first word when I saw the Grand Canyon. If speaking of athletic venues, how about Chavez with its NATURAL beauty, haven't been there in forty (40) years so hope it hasn't changed. I have seen PNC but only from a restaurant on top of the hill, I'm not from Pittsburgh, client took us to the restaurant. It was a nice view but not "wow".
You may not say "wow" but plenty of people do, including me. I was opposed to building the park with taxpayer dollars and when I went to my first game there I wanted so badly to hate the damn thing and justify my opposition. Instead I said "wow" (really). By the way, one guy did a consensus rating from 15 sources, and Dodger Stadium finished13th and PNC 1st. http://www.ballparkratings.com/features/consensus_ballpark_ratings

Last edited:
Ever see the Black Canyon of the Gunnison? That's another wow view right there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bla...ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMIm52Zx778xgIVQnI-Ch19fAAb

From Crater Lake, to Big Sur, to Denali in Alaska, the Manhattan Skyline, the Grand Canyon....and then, among the 23, there was this one....
http://www.travelandleisure.com/slideshows/best-views-in-america/12
Here is #24 courtesy of PSURO:
index.php

You could fill that article without ever leaving Hawaii IMHO, but I understand that would be a boring article.
True, and not just there. Whether it's the rock bound coast of Maine, the Shenandoah Valley, the Rockies, the Pacific Northwest, there are so many spectacular places to see in this country.

True, and not just there. Whether it's the rock bound coast of Maine, the Shenandoah Valley, the Rockies, the Pacific Northwest, there are so many spectacular places to see in this country.

You are a trooper here, gambit. Of course there are 23+ views within the USA more spectacular than that from PNC park, but obviously the author wanted a variety of types of views that would appeal to a wide audience. Not sure why that's so hard for some to understand and/or accept.

Amen to jerademan74 and to Nitwit.

I've been to Yosemite, driven down Route 1 to/through Big Sur, seen the Golden Gate Bridge, seen the New York Skyline and sat in PNC Park enough times ...

The view that gets me EVERY TIME is driving over Skytop and seeing Mount Nittany in the distance.

Hey toasty. I forgot to ask. What's with the James K. Polk sigpic?
No particular significance -- Polk came up in a conversation I had on Facebook, and I decided to use him as my profile pic on there for a couple of days to amuse my friends. That just happened to be around the time that this board switched to the new format. I'd never had an avatar on here, so I threw ol' JKP up as a placeholder until I figured out what I wanted to use. I post so infrequently that I've just left him there.

Been to 11 of the 23 views. Can't argue with too many of the choices, but like other posters there are a lot more they could have added.

You could fill this list with views from just about every State.

They don't have any of the Appalachian Mountain views or the Blue Ridge. There are so many stunning vistas along The Blue Ridge Pkwy! Biltmore is absolutely breath taking, as is Monticello.

If you haven't had the pleasure of visiting Letchworth State Park in NY... go, you will NOT be disappointed. http://nysparks.com/parks/79/details.aspx

Mackinac Island in Lake Huron is another beautiful place.

And no Niagara Falls????

COBRAND_NAME=snapfish

Not really. It's a very nice ballpark, though.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT