ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Recruiting Class

mickey_PSU

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2006
NEPA
Part III in my series discussing Penn State’s recruiting classes which make up our current roster. This is the highest rated class of the three that have been discussed to this point. Of course, the ’18 class sets the bar, but this class, ranked 12th by Rivals, has a good number of talented players who have already or are likely to make significant contributions to our program. These kids will be entering their rs sophomore or junior seasons with the Lions. This list provides the kids who have the potential to leave early for the NFL draft with KJ Hamler, Michal Menet, Yetur Gross-Matos and Tariq Castro-Fields being the most likely to make the jump. Without further adeu, here’s the class…

1. DE Damion Barber Said to have really stepped up this Spring, the 4* DE moved to DT last year and is expected to contribute in ’19. How much?, we’ll see
2. DT Corey Bolds Has already left the program
3. LB Ellis Brooks Seemed to be starting to “get it” late in ’18 and in the Bowl game versus Kentucky. I expect him to get significant pt this upcoming season at mike. I would not be surprised if he overtakes Jan Johnson for the starting role by mid season—if not, I expect he’ll be getting more pt than Johnson at that point anyway. Of course, I suspect I'm in the minority on this pov
4. CB DJ Brown Haven’t heard much about him prior to this Spring but got a few positive comments from the coaches recently, we’ll see if he’s able to contribute this fall
5. RB Journey Brown Part of the 3 man rotation at RB going into preseason camp. We’ll see if he can hold off true freshmen Noah Cain and Devyn Ford. Based upon his play toward the end of last season and early reports from this Spring, Brown may surprise a few. He was a runner, now he’s becoming a back
6. CB Tariq Castro-Fields Here’s what I said last year: “I’m expecting really big things from TCF in ‘18” Nothing’s really changed, I’m expecting the same in ‘19, maybe even more
7. QB Sean Clifford 4* who will be our starter in ’19. I expect he’ll do well and hopefully he’ll exceed already high expectations. Jones and Ham were very high on him during the B/W game broadcast
8. LB Brelin Faison-Walden Has already transferred out of the program- was going to be passed by anyway by younger, better, talent
9. LB Brailon Franklin The move to DE didn’t help his status so he is another guy who transferred out. Frankly, I don’t think he’ll be missed
10. DE Yetur Gross-Matos The next AA at DE from Penn State? Well, that’s my hope anyway. In any event, he’s a talented player and is going to be a force in ‘19
11. WR KJ Hamler Outstanding receiver, one of the few bright spots from an otherwise disappointing group in ’18. I think he’s going to be the leader of a receiver group who, as a unit, has something to prove this fall
12. DT Fred Hansard Injury curtailed his rs freshman season, hopefully his rs sophomore season will be more successful. Steve Jones and Jack Ham raved about the defensive line, including Hansard, so there’s that
13. WR Mac Hippenhammer Disappointing 2018, at least to me. Decided to play baseball exclusively this spring- I think that may open opportunities for other receivers, although Franklin says it won’t. I think he needs to step up or he risks falling behind other developing guys at WR
14. OL Dez Holmes Said to be 1A at tackle, we’ll see. Franklin says he’s going to play 3 OTs this fall, Holmes is one of them. So long as Franklin gets the best players out there, I don’t really care which ones they are
15. CB Donovan Johnson another member of our really deep CB group, I expect him to contribute a lot this fall
16. OL Rob Martin Another player who has left the program, couldn’t put on good weight and just didn’t develop
17. OL Mike Miranda Part of the anticipated 3 man rotation at OG, he’ll battle CJ Thorpe for the starting job at RG. In his lone start last year, he did pretty well so early indications are that he’ll help us get over the loss of Connor McGovern to the NFL
18. WR Cam Sullivan-Brown I still really like this kid. I’m hoping he gets meaningful pt this fall. He seems to have good hands, catches everything near him—that seems like something we need, no?
19. S Jonathan Sutherland Will be in the safety rotation, along with starters Garret Taylor and either Lamont Wade or Brisker. Supposedly hits like Marcus Allen, that’s a good thing
20. OL CJ Thorpe Has a nasty streak that is much needed on the offensive line. I have a sneaking suspicion he’ll get the starting nod but Miranda and he will each play a lot this fall
21. S Lamont wade Thus far, I guess we’d have to say he hasn’t lived up to expectations. A 5* coming out of HS, he’s struggled to get onto the field consistently. Franklin says he’s had a great Spring so maybe it’s just one of those situations where it takes some guys a while to figure it all out. If he plays up to his ranking, he could add to what I think will be an outstanding secondary

Lots of talent in this class—the lowest rated kids have all transferred out and the kids who remain were all considered top recruits, at least most of them. This group, along with the no. 5 class in the Country in ’18 and then another great group in ’19, which was ranked 11th, are going to be the nucleus that allows us to begin to reload each year rather than rebuild. I can’t help but get a little excited about these guys, along with the kids in the ’18 and ’19 classes, I think they have a chance to put Penn State back on the map after a lackluster 2018. Thoughts from the rest of you?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News