ADVERTISEMENT

2016 RECRUITING

I think those (plus Storr, thanks to HawkTalk3) are the biggest names we're likely in on.

Here are a few more PA kids as potential "quality depth" recruits -- not sure if any interest either way, just that they make sense:
- 125-141: Jon Gabriel, Bedford; Ethan McCoy, Latrobe; Tyshawn White, Central Dauphin; Evan Fidelibus, Easton; Joe Lobeck, Lancaster Catholic
- 149-174: Blake Marks, Southern Columbia; Jared Siegrist, Manheim Central (actually, both are in the 174-184 range)
- 184-285: Jake Robb, Armstrong Central; Connor Buttry, Chestnut Ridge; Jacob Beistel, Southmoreland; Tyler Worthing, Kiski; Rashon Lusane, Malvern Prep

A few others will surely emerge ... they always do.

This old timer been reading HR and here also it is nice to read with nothing going on at this time.
As for recurits its ok to dicuss about it but really none of us can say for sure about where any will go.
So I have learned not to set myself up for a big let down. I just wait until the name is on the signed line.
Good luck to all stud wrestlers available and to the schools that are luckly to land them.

A few things about ASU:

1. They could throw money around like crazy this year because their larder was nearly empty - don't expect year after year bonanzas.

2. ASU is one of the crappiest state schools in the country for academics. It appears they have an Honors Program, and that's great, but you won't mistake ASU for quality Big 10 research institutions - let alone other solid state schools. If someone is serious about school, their reputation is a drawback. I don't think it's as bad as it was when I was going to college - back then I think they had an auto-admit policy if you graduated from an Arizona high school, but it's still a few levels below pretty much all of the Big 10. If all a kid cares about is wrestling, that's one thing; if him and his family care at all about life after college, job networking, etc, ASU falls down the list.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/page+12

For the most part, I agree. But, I was surprised at how low Rutgers is on USNWRR:confused:

This old timer been reading HR and here also it is nice to read with nothing going on at this time.
As for recurits its ok to dicuss about it but really none of us can say for sure about where any will go.
So I have learned not to set myself up for a big let down. I just wait until the name is on the signed line.
Good luck to all stud wrestlers available and to the schools that are luckly to land them.
The thing that bums me out about wrestling recruiting is that with so few scholarships on offer, there's necessarily fewer new recruits. With 20-25 football scholarships every year, a football recruitnik like me gets a Christmas present seemingly every 2 weeks or so.

It's not a matter of whom he can beat at ASU.

Agreed, it's more about scholarship allocation then anything. How can Zeke justify spending a full scholarship on a guy projected at the same weight as Valencia? Better or not, that money would be more beneficial if it was allocated to other parts of the lineup.

Last edited:
I guess I just came over to let you know that one poster's wish list of recruits was not a very good indicator to spin into that "Suriano won't be a Hawk".

Never mind that CT agreed with me.

As I stated earlier, my comment was actually based on three posters comments, not one.

I do find interesting all the recent positive comments about Yates on your board. Things that make you go hhmm…...

Last edited:
Of course the really fun scenarios emerge if, totally hypothetically, Hall is 70/30 over Valencia, Nickal is 70/30 over Hall, and Valencia is 60/40 over Nickal. Who does Zeke send out in March if Hall came? Same for Cael if Hall came?

...the early "initial" signing date for 2016-17 enrollees for wrestling...

...is not until November 11-16, 2015...

...the "final" signing date for 2015-16 enrollees is August 1, 2015...

...of course a kid can announce his "intent" at any time...

Of course the really fun scenarios emerge if, totally hypothetically, Hall is 70/30 over Valencia, Nickal is 70/30 over Hall, and Valencia is 60/40 over Nickal. Who does Zeke send out in March if Hall came? Same for Cael if Hall came?
Cael figured out how to get Ed Ruth and Quentin Wright in the lineup for 3 years.

As I stated earlier, my comment was actually based on three posters comments, not one.

I do find interesting all the recent positive comments about Yates on your board. Things that make you go hhmm…...
We all know recruits read these forums to help decide where they wanna go. Heaping praises on them works almost all of the time sometimes. BTW I can say with 100% certainty that Yates aint coming to PSU. You guys didn't care enough about him to dedicate a thread to him.

We all know recruits read these forums to help decide where they wanna go. Heaping praises on them works almost all of the time sometimes. BTW I can say with 100% certainty that Yates aint coming to PSU. You guys didn't care enough about him to dedicate a thread to him.

Tell you what, Illinois has a really nice senior class. 4 guys in the top 21 and 9 in the top 100.

So, you find the volume of comments about Yates intriguing/noteworthy, yet all the chatter about Hall, Lee, and Suriano is just fans being fans, wanting every good reruit.

Things that make you go hhmm....

Gonna be a great week, look for fireworks by the weekend, not just the explosives you buy either for Independence Day . Buckle up! What do you guys see happening for the Nits?

I think those (plus Storr, thanks to HawkTalk3) are the biggest names we're likely in on.

Here are a few more PA kids as potential "quality depth" recruits -- not sure if any interest either way, just that they make sense:
- 125-141: Jon Gabriel, Bedford; Ethan McCoy, Latrobe; Tyshawn White, Central Dauphin; Evan Fidelibus, Easton; Joe Lobeck, Lancaster Catholic
- 149-174: Blake Marks, Southern Columbia; Jared Siegrist, Manheim Central (actually, both are in the 174-184 range)
- 184-285: Jake Robb, Armstrong Central; Connor Buttry, Chestnut Ridge; Jacob Beistel, Southmoreland; Tyler Worthing, Kiski; Rashon Lusane, Malvern Prep

A few others will surely emerge ... they always do.
Keep an eye on Jacob Oliver from Huntingdon. Class of 2017, however. Non-stop motor.

Gonna be a great week, look for fireworks by the weekend, not just the explosives you buy either for Independence Day . Buckle up! What do you guys see happening for the Nits?
I'm thinking one-two punch of Suriano and Red out of the gate!

Positivity fellas.

Reactions: dnit
I don't think they're going to let Suriano compete for both Iowa and PSU. Sorry about that, guys.

Revised potential recruit list based on Flo's profiles having Penn State listed as a school of interest:

Mark Hall (MN-170)
Nick Suriano (NJ-120)
Luke Pletcher (PA-132)
Chad Red (IN-126)
Sammy Colbray (OR-195)
I'd be surprised if there is enough money to make the offer necessary.
Carter Happel (IA-138) Happel to PSU would be rather interesting; not counting on it though
Gannon Gremmel (IA-220) Has a photo with DT wearing a PSU shirt on his bio page.
Wyatt Koelling (UT-195) Maybe Cael can get him without a big offer?
Tyler Warner (OH-120) If Suriano doesn't commit to PSU, he may become a main target
Kanen Storr (MI-132)

Last edited:
Hall still has PSU on his list (added him). For some reason I have it in my mind that he won't be a Nittany Lion. Hope I'm wrong.

Good to see. Sometimes recruits we thought would be Lions aren't (Marstellar) and those we didn't expect (Nickel) are. I hope
things turn out very well this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: jtothemfp
If Penn State is in the Midwest then so are Rutgers and Maryland.
We get it Jammenz. That's about the 3rd or 4th time we've seen that rudimentary geography point being made by you.

All that said, many Americans fail to grasp even the rudiments of geography - so perhaps Pa being in the Midwest makes perfect sense to some, including some highly-skilled high school wrestlers.

Apropos of our geography talk, a geography gif in light of serial girl punching going on in Tallahassee:

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--NpWqUaKP--/1334890119393116520.gif

Reactions: dnit
We get it Jammenz. That's about the 3rd or 4th time we've seen that rudimentary geography point being made by you.

All that said, many Americans fail to grasp even the rudiments of geography - so perhaps Pa being in the Midwest makes perfect sense to some, including some highly-skilled high school wrestlers.
Penn State markets itself as a Midwestern school due to its B10 membership.

If geography were so critical, then let's change the name of the school in Evanston IL.

“The Midwest is essentially a cultural construct, to use a fancy word. It is what people think it is. Like a lot of identities, it is what you want to call it.”
- Andrew Cayton, Distinguised Professor of History at Miami University of Ohio and editor of The American Midwest, an encyclopedia of U.S. life across the northern latitudes between Pennsylvania and Wyoming.

I'll bet Mark Hall has read that book.

Penn State markets itself as a Midwestern school due to its B10 membership.

If geography were so critical, then let's change the name of the school in Evanston IL.
Exactly! Washington State and Oregon should be outraged!
... Yes, yes, I know about the Northwest Territory.

That sentiment should endear Hall to Penn State fans.
As should Minnesota fans mercilessly booing him and his high school teammates endear Hall to Gopher fans.

Methinks my subtle dig at geography skills probably did less harm than the booing.

ADVERTISEMENT