ADVERTISEMENT

2016 RECRUITING

Flying_Tiger

May 27, 2011
Things are about to gear up in recruiting on July 1st. I have read about several top tier recruits that are on Penn State's radar.

Hall: Doesn't look good based on his recent comments about staying in the midwest. Hate to miss out on such talent but at least it's not a need weight.

Suriano: Cael was out to his high school not that long ago and apparently had dinner with Nick and his parents recently in State College. Big need weight and it sounds like coach is making a big push here.

Red: Has expressed a lot of interest in Penn State. A little surprised there has been no verbal at this point. Is the feeling mutual or are they just waiting?

Pletcher: Top rated PA guy at a need weight. Usually this would be a no brainer but with Suriano and Red on the board, things may be more complicated.

Phillippi: Ranked #15 at a need weight but just like Pletcher, a lot of talent to contend with.

It will be interesting to see how things play out. Thankfully there are a lot of good options at the lower weights. Wonder if there are any other guys of interest? Curious who else we may be targeting from PA (or elsewhere).

Last edited:
Reactions: dnit
I'm with you with that it doesn't seem likely Hall will be coming aboard. Although his talent would be great, we have much bigger needs at lightweights. If we land 2 out of the other 4 named (I think we have a real shot at landing 3 out of 4), I will be ecstatic. I think Hall ends up at Iowa or Minnesota unfortunately. I will say we land Suriano and Red and then either Pletcher or Phillippi with the other going to Pitt. I have no inside knowledge at all just a feeling. If we land 3 out of 4, it might be a little crowded for whenever Lee comes aboard, but he will start if he comes here. I think Red and Phillippi both have potential to grow into 141. Pletcher is really short so I see him as a career 33 and Suriano could probably hold 25 for a year or two then move to 33

Reactions: jtothemfp and dnit
Flying Tig, while a lot of the recruiting takes place this year, those recruits that sign with PSU become part of the 2016 recruiting class, so I changed the subject line of the thread to reflect that.

I think those (plus Storr, thanks to HawkTalk3) are the biggest names we're likely in on.

Here are a few more PA kids as potential "quality depth" recruits -- not sure if any interest either way, just that they make sense:
- 125-141: Jon Gabriel, Bedford; Ethan McCoy, Latrobe; Tyshawn White, Central Dauphin; Evan Fidelibus, Easton; Joe Lobeck, Lancaster Catholic
- 149-174: Blake Marks, Southern Columbia; Jared Siegrist, Manheim Central (actually, both are in the 174-184 range)
- 184-285: Jake Robb, Armstrong Central; Connor Buttry, Chestnut Ridge; Jacob Beistel, Southmoreland; Tyler Worthing, Kiski; Rashon Lusane, Malvern Prep

A few others will surely emerge ... they always do.

Reactions: HawkTalk3
Things are about to gear up in recruiting on July 1st. I have read about several top tier recruits that are on Penn State's radar.

Hall: Doesn't look good based on his recent comments about staying in the midwest. Hate to miss out on such talent but at least not a need weight.

Suriano: Cael was out to his high school not that long ago and apparently had dinner with Nick and his parents recently in State College. Big need weight and it sounds like coach is making a big push here.

Red: Has expressed a lot of interest in Penn State. A little surprised there has been no verbal at this point. Is the feeling mutual or are they just waiting?

Pletcher: Top rated PA guy at a need weight. Usually this would be a no brainer but with Suriano and Red on the board, things mat be more complicated.

Phillippi: Ranked #15 at a need weight but just like Pletcher, a lot of talent to contend with.

It will be interesting to see how things play out. Thankfully there are a lot of good options at the lower weights. Wonder if there are any other guys of interest? Curious who else we may be targeting from PA (or elsewhere).

I thought the same thing when I first read the Hall quote about staying in the midwest, but then he followed that with "staying in the B10" so I'm not sure if he actually meant the midwest geographically or as a general reference to the B10 conference.

I thought the same thing when I first read the Hall quote about staying in the midwest, but then he followed that with "staying in the B10" so I'm not sure if he actually meant the midwest geographically or as a general reference to the B10 conference.
Yeah, I'll just add that PSU calls itself a midwest school as a B10 member. I kid you not.

A number of years ago (probably around 1997 or 1998), I represented my employer at the College of Engineering's diversity board meeting. The crux of the meeting was "how do we get our minority numbers up?", as that's been the question at PSU since God was a child. Anyway, the Dean himself (not some associate dean for diversity) called PSU a "midwestern school." I politely asked if he thought teenage kids from NYC, Philly, Baltimore, and DC were more likely to attend an "eastern" or "midwestern" school. That question got me among the dirtiest looks of my life ... (though not nearly as dirty as some other questions I asked later in the meeting!).

It sure as heck looks like Suriano is a great possibility. That would work for me, the kid owns wins over Lee and Fix. Not sure how a family would come to State College for dinner with Cael and leave anything less than wanting to wrestle for him.

So maybe Maryland and Rugers are in the running.

Reactions: HAWKMANN
It sure as heck looks like Suriano is a great possibility. That would work for me, the kid owns wins over Lee and Fix. Not sure how a family would come to State College for dinner with Cael and leave anything less than wanting to wrestle for him.
I hope you're right, but that by itself is merely a good sign. Wiercioch and Racciato both went to Pitt after official visits to PSU ... and IIRC Racciato's father is a PSU alum.

Curious if $$$ played a factor in those decisions though Jefe? Though I guess we'd never know. I don't recall those guys being as highly touted nationally as a Suriano.

Money is almost always a factor, and word was Pitt outbid Cael for both guys. Wiercioch was also a national top 10 recruit.

Don't get me wrong, I'm cautiously optimistic, just don't see a single day trip or one-night stopover as much indication.

Now, if mom and dad camped out at Beaver Stadium for season tickets ... THAT would be a clue!

Fingers crossed that it works out in 8 days or so.

I'm thinking Hall ends up at Nebraska, Suriano at Iowa, and Pletcher and Red at Penn State out of the guys discussed here. Don't really know enough about Phillipi to give an informed opinion.

I'm thinking Hall ends up at Nebraska, Suriano at Iowa, and Pletcher and Red at Penn State out of the guys discussed here. Don't really know enough about Phillipi to give an informed opinion.
I think I'm with you on the Hall to Nebby call. Definitely with you on Red to PSU. It's the Suriano/Pletcher combo that's so tough to call. I could see Pletcher coming to PSU even if Suriano comes, but I could see Suriano picking someplace else instead of with Red & Pletcher.

Hey man, I remember a couple years ago you made a pretty awesome offseason preview post with good picks & analysis. I don't remember the year, but I do remember that the preview included Va Tech's Jesse Dong. Because, well...dong. Any chance you'll be similarly inspired sometime this summer?

Possibly. I haven't written those long preview/prediction style posts in about a year. My current job is much more time-intensive compared to where I was before. That said, who knows?

With regards to Hall, I think with his goals and his personality type, I think he will have a hard time not going to train and wrestle with the best the USA has to offer, Jordan Burroughs. I would obviously love to be wrong and have him be a Hawkeye, but that's just my gut feeling.

That could be the case, but a good option would also be to come and train with DT and actually have a shot to win team and individual titles collegiately? I would think Iowa would be the 3rd best option and Minnesota the 4th. Being the in-state school, I'll throw them a bone, but not a big one.

We'll see, sometimes it's the intangibles that that average fan doesn't see that ends up making the difference in a race where a number of schools are very close in terms of what they have to offer.

I was thinking the same thing about Hall this morning. I see him training with Burroughs and Green at UNL and trying to follow in Burroughs foot steps. That is a huge selling point for Neb. but have you ever been in Lincoln? I could think of at least 5-6 other B1G schools I would rather spend my time in. Although their training facilities are top notch.

I was thinking the same thing about Hall this morning. I see him training with Burroughs and Green at UNL and trying to follow in Burroughs foot steps. That is a huge selling point for Neb. but have you ever been in Lincoln? I could think of at least 5-6 other B1G schools I would rather spend my time in. Although their training facilities are top notch.
I've been to Lincoln once, for the PSU football game in 2003 I think. After many brews, we drove by two coeds giving each other a long goodbye hug on the corner as we turned. Inspired, I shouted 'oh go on--give her a kiss!' They both grinned, then looked at each other, then dove in for a full lip-lock in a show of great sportsmanship & hotness. Great memory from Lincoln.

Reactions: HAWKMANN
Not much else to do in Lincoln if you don't play FB or Wrestle. Kissing girls and drinking beer are probably 3 & 4 on the list . haha

Reading the tea leaves over on Iowa's forum, it sounds like Suriano won't be a Hawk. Liking our chances more and more….

Reading the tea leaves over on Iowa's forum, it sounds like Suriano won't be a Hawk. Liking our chances more and more….

I have seen one person who is acting like the Hawks are out on Suriano. Not that he isn't a credible guy, but I'm not buying they are out (as in the Hawks are folding).

I have seen one person who is acting like the Hawks are out on Suriano. Not that he isn't a credible guy, but I'm not buying they are out (as in the Hawks are folding).
Yeah, I immediately ran over there and didn't see much to infer.

All that said, if Nick verbals to us - in the words of Sig Hansen from the Deadliest Catch - me Rikey!

Yeah, I immediately ran over there and didn't see much to infer.

All that said, if Nick verbals to us - in the words of Sig Hansen from the Deadliest Catch - me Rikey!

Yeah, if you go back and read his next comment he says "there's still plenty of mutual interest with the Surianos..."

Think the ole' FT is reading what he wants to read :D

1stplacehawk, Gobblin and 9xs have all hinted that Suriano may not be in the cards for Iowa. All 3 have some connection to the team. Sure Gobblin did some backtracking in that thread after I posted above, but why did he leave Suriano out of his future lineup in the first place then? I've heard enough to be optimistic that PSU has an excellent shot at landing Suriano.

So when the Iowa board thinks they are going to get any top recruits they have no clue but when a couple make rather vague statements that you dug deep to spin in PSU's favor they are credible posters?

Reactions: pasmokin2002
Straw alert!! When and where did I say "no clue" about any recruiting post? You guys are really going off the deep end. I actually have found it amusing reading some of the fantasy lineups I've seen over on hawk report over the past several months based on just about every top recruit committing to Iowa. The individual arse kissing threads to each recruit are a bit embarrassing thought. Lee has been all but yours for the past year. Never-mind the fact you guys already have two blue chip recruits coming in the following year that project at 125 or that Iowa is limited to 9.9 scholarships just like everyone else. The reality of the situation will be upon us soon enough and we'll have our answers. Suffice it to say, I'm sure Iowa is gong to have good recruiting class but I'll be surprised if they pick up another top 10 this year.

Last edited:
Changed my mind. You are right FT. Obviously Iowa is out on Suriano.

Last edited:
Sounds like everyone is getting a little antsy before the big date. Iowa will get a theirs and PSU will get theirs. The fact the rivalry is now actually a rivalry rather than Iowa simply beating the piss out of PSU is good for both schools and good for the sport. Competition brings out the best in everyone. Without that competition, you don't get an event like the duel at the BJC this past year. What a blast!!!!

Reactions: Jaybird319
In 6 days, will it be this?

Bi8O5BcCYAANrBM.jpg:large

Or this?

Brands.jpg

Straw alert!! When and where did I say "no clue" about any recruiting post? You guys are really going off the deep end. I actually have found it amusing reading some of the fantasy lineups I've seen over on hawk report over the past several months based on just about every top recruit committing to Iowa. The individual arse kissing threads to each recruit are a bit embarrassing thought. Lee has been all but yours for the past year. Never-mind the fact you guys already have two blue chip recruits coming in the following year that project at 125 or that Iowa is limited to 9.9 scholarships just like everyone else. The reality of the situation will be upon us soon enough and we'll have our answers. Suffice it to say, I'm sure Iowa is gong to have good recruiting class but I'll be surprised if they pick up another top 10 this year.
You just proved my point.

Don, I didn't feel it necessary to make those comments until after you and hawktalk made your way over here so lets not play games with the timeline. Remember, all I did was give my opinion that I was liking our chances at this point and you and hawktalk got all defensive and started making straw claims like I said Iowa fans had "no clue" or that "Iowa is folding". Considering your board has been acting like Pennsylvania's Spencer Lee has already given a verbal when he most certainly has not, don't you think it's kind of bizarre that you take such issue with my relatively innocuous statement. Are we not allowed to express even a fraction of the optimism that you guys have been showing over on your board?

Last edited:
Reactions: rwinstead
I guess I just came over to let you know that one poster's wish list of recruits was not a very good indicator to spin into that "Suriano won't be a Hawk".

Never mind that CT agreed with me.

One would have to think that Arizona State has to be on Lee, Suriano or Halls short list?

One would have to think that Arizona State has to be on Lee, Suriano or Halls short list?
I had become friendly with one of the FR dads a few years ago when my son wrestled with those guys on a team at the VA duals. This year in Hershey a couple of the FR kids and parents sat in our section and I sat with them at a couple of sessions. On one occasion I was talking to the dad and son about their college choice (which is ASU and they are ecstatic about it) and my gf - who is also a certifiable wrestling nut - piped in and asked him what was going on with Spencer Lee. He said that he knew Lee had always liked PSU and Iowa and they were his most likely destinations. However, he then added that because of what was going on with FR and ASU that Lee was definitely going to be checking them out and had interest in them.

It's not info direct from the horses mouth, but it did come from one of his teammates. Probably more reliable than the Iowa poster that FT is referencing that thinks that Spencer Lee is in the bag because his gf may go to Iowa.

My guess is that there is a long way to go with Lee and, much like Hall, he knows he holds the cards and the rest of us will find out in a little over a year. And I wouldn't count ASU out, as much as people would like to dismiss them in this.

Reactions: papride1

Possibly, but that makes it very hard for family to come and see you wrestle when you are on the other side of the country. That is an important part of the decision for a lot of kids, I would say. There is nothing they could get at ASU that they couldn't get at PSU. Spencer Lee is most likely attending school for free no matter where he goes...he's that type of talent so it won't be a money issue for him.

Possibly, but that makes it very hard for family to come and see you wrestle when you are on the other side of the country. That is an important part of the decision for a lot of kids, I would say. There is nothing they could get at ASU that they couldn't get at PSU. Spencer Lee is most likely attending school for free no matter where he goes...he's that type of talent so it won't be a money issue for him.

Honestly, it's hard for families to watch their kids wrestle no matter what even if you are selecting PSU or most any B1G school. Unless you are talking about just seeing him at 1/2 dozen or so events per year. I don't know but don't think this will be the case with the Lee family. The kid is traveling all over the country and the world as it is right now for training and competition.

I had become friendly with one of the FR dads a few years ago when my son wrestled with those guys on a team at the VA duals. This year in Hershey a couple of the FR kids and parents sat in our section and I sat with them at a couple of sessions. On one occasion I was talking to the dad and son about their college choice (which is ASU and they are ecstatic about it) and my gf - who is also a certifiable wrestling nut - piped in and asked him what was going on with Spencer Lee. He said that he knew Lee had always liked PSU and Iowa and they were his most likely destinations. However, he then added that because of what was going on with FR and ASU that Lee was definitely going to be checking them out and had interest in them.

It's not info direct from the horses mouth, but it did come from one of his teammates. Probably more reliable than the Iowa poster that FT is referencing that thinks that Spencer Lee is in the bag because his gf may go to Iowa.

My guess is that there is a long way to go with Lee and, much like Hall, he knows he holds the cards and the rest of us will find out in a little over a year. And I wouldn't count ASU out, as much as people would like to dismiss them in this.
A few things about ASU:

1. They could throw money around like crazy this year because their larder was nearly empty - don't expect year after year bonanzas.

2. ASU is one of the crappiest state schools in the country for academics. It appears they have an Honors Program, and that's great, but you won't mistake ASU for quality Big 10 research institutions - let alone other solid state schools. If someone is serious about school, their reputation is a drawback. I don't think it's as bad as it was when I was going to college - back then I think they had an auto-admit policy if you graduated from an Arizona high school, but it's still a few levels below pretty much all of the Big 10. If all a kid cares about is wrestling, that's one thing; if him and his family care at all about life after college, job networking, etc, ASU falls down the list.

Reactions: Jaybird319
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT