ADVERTISEMENT

2010 Recruiting Class

Flying_Tiger

May 27, 2011
I was reviewing some old recruiting rankings and came across Penn State's 2010 class that was ranked #2. Hard to believe not one of these guys was in the lineup this past NCAA tournament for what would of been their redshirt senior year.

Top Recruits:
(141) #2 Andrew Alton-Lock Haven, PA, (149) #8 Dylan Alton-Lock Haven, PA, (133) #34 Sam Sherlock-West Mifflin, PA, (133/141) #52 Hank Stinson-Voorhes, NJ, (165) #64 Dirk Cowburn-Coudersport, PA, (197) Nick Ruggear-Oxford, PA

I've got to believe Iowa fans expected more from their #1 ranked class as well.
#4 Evans, #11 Moore, #12 Dziewa, #19 Telford, #31 Ballweg #74 Kelly. The best they could show in their senior year was a 5th (Telford) and 6th (Evans) place finish.

BTW; Lawson was ranked #22 in the 2010 class.

Earl at D1CW released his annual look back at the class of 5 years ago (2010 wrestling class). You can read it at THIS LINK.

Reading the analysis, it does point out a few interesting things:
- how much injuries can factor into a college career
- how accurate and inaccurate rankings can be
- for example, Logie Bear was ranked #1, but the 3 others from that class that won NCAA Championships were ranked between 50 and 75 (in D1CW's rankings)
- Earl seems to do rather well with his #1 rankings, in that DT was #1 in 2009, and Logie Bear was #1 in 2010, and they were the top points scorers in their respective rewinds (though Earl indicates that's only the 2nd time it has happened, so don't put too much stock in who D1CW ranks as #1)

For giggles, here's a way-too-early look at how the 2011 class might be re-ranked. Note, purely offhand, did not research NCAA points ... take it FWIW:

1. Alex Dieringer (#15)
2. Nick Gwiazdowski (#18)
3. Nico Megaludis (#3)
4. Cody Brewer (#23)
5. Nahshon Garrett (#66)

After that, it's harder to differentiate. I'd expect these guys to end up 6-15 (in some order):
Morgan McIntosh (#1); Logan Storley (#5), Hunter Stieber (#7) **; Mason Beckman (#10); Kenny Courts (#12); James Green (#16), Johnni DiJulius (#27); Ian Miller (#36); Nate Brown (#53), Connor Medbery (#62).

** OK, maybe not Stieber with his injury -- but no doubt had he stayed healthy, and I'm too lazy to figure out who would be #16 to move into his slot.

Too early to tell: Sasquatch (#9).

Yes, it is an incomplete science.

On second thought ... these re-rankings don't correlate to NCAA tournament results.

Instead of using NCAA Tournament points, Earl created his own scoring system:
- Lower NCAA placement points (thus less separation between places)
- No bonus points at nationals
- Conference tournament placement

For example: Mitchell Port significantly outscored Robert Kokesh at nationals, but Earl ranked Kokesh higher due to the weights he gave each conference tourney (EIWA 1st = Big Ten 4th in Earl's system).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT