ADVERTISEMENT

165 this season

Agree on Lewan, but I have an observation/question about Amine and his endurance Friday night. The match began at 157, and it is obvious that Amine gassed. You could make a case that it was all MM's pace, but I have to wonder if Amine did not get the time to recover from a weight cut.
Maybe, MM complained that he was only at 80% because of the same ;-). Don't underestimate a 2 lb cut.

Amine always struggles during this time of year. Remember when he lost to a bumped up Berge? Bubba Wilson? Bryce Hepner? He shows up in March.

With that said, I take MM over him 10/10 times. Closer match? Likely, but not in doubt imo. Love watching this kid.

Good call. What a joy Mitch is to watch. People will be tuning into watching Mitch just like Jason and Bo. This year's going to be fun!
Absolutely agree. But has Sanderson made his official "fun to watch" endorsement, as was done for Nolf and Nickal? Did I miss it? If he hasn't, wonder what could be holding things up.

In his MSU match, Mesenbrink revealed the ability to: (1) quickly dig himself into a deep, dangerous hole, (2) just as quickly dig himself out, and (3) major the #10-ranked opponent who put him there for good measure.

And all of it was nothing if not fun to watch.

Last edited:
DeAugustino got some time off the scale also, which makes the win all the more impressive for Braeden. Kid is strong.

Reactions: hlstone
As far as i am aware the flip doesnt affect starting weight. It is either mutually agreed upon by coaches or randomly drawn if an agreement is not reached
As I have recently learned, that's the old rule--I believe since 2019, if the 2 coaches don't agree, they flip a coin, and the winning coach picks the starting weight and the losing one picks even/odd for choice in the 2nd.

SpikingWhamos

Well-Known Member​

If coaches don't agree on a weight, it's random draw. Agree it's bad for Levi but that wasn't Bormet's decision.

I don't believe this is true anymore, unless they changed the procedures back. They changed the rule as of 2019/20. If the coaches don't agree there is now a coin flip, and the winning team can either choose:

1. Starting weight
2. Choice in odd/even matches

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/ch...ling/rules/2019-21PRMWR_MajorRulesChanges.pdf
So the weight draw is no longer random, but specifically selected by the coach winning the flip

Im surprised then that more coaches dont try their luck with the flip if they know for sure what Cael would pick.

#nopokerface
Probably most coaches aren't interested in disrupting the routines each wrestler has to prep for the match.

Ohio state great Rex Holman (always a great read) on MM:

like to study matches that are special.

He is predominantly right lead leg with collar wrist tie but smoothly transitions to left lead with a neutral outside tie (not deep). He doesn't stay in a tie long as he is attempting to create more reactions.

As coaches we can teach tie ups to both sides that our wrestlers can transition back and forth from which they will generate progressions of attacks.

This is advanced but can be scaled up. Just have to incorporate the smaller pieces of the attack and then marry them together as the positions are mastered.

So, the rapidity of attacks is counterintuitive and can only be accomplished through drilling and getting the wrestler accustomed to attack in this way.

What you see with younger guys and is evident when you been around wrestling for a while. Attacking is met by punishment because position is compromised when you attack an older wiser wrestler.

However, you can turn this paradigm on its head if you focus on the set ups and movements which don't allow an established wrestler to stay in position from which they are comfortable. Constantly working to set up and move the opponent in an effort to move them out of position. This is accomplished by what you see out of Messenbrink. Both sides. Controlled ties and loose ties. Get a reaction and continue into the next tie up, fake or attack.

A lot of wrestling practices can be too long and require too much drivel, which is a recipe for mediocrioty.

I talk about end driven goals and wrestling. This is exactly that. Set your practices up to get your wrestlers to wrestle in such a way that creates action by attacking both sides and is meant to break position. Otherwise, wrestlers will get use to standing around and maintaining position and encouraging a slow pace.
My next question is does this work against David Carr and Keegan O'Toole who are measured and position wrestlers.

If so, then he's the next big thing in wrestling.

And it's a statement on the importance of set ups, attacking both sides and working in and out of tie ups.

Have not seen his hands out of position or defend solid leg attacks of which he will likely be tested against O'Toole and Carr.

It is Penn State and his coach is Cael, who mastered a similar but difference offensive attack. Won't surprise me if he beats everyone.

It's the same rapidity of Nolf but with the physicality and nasty of Starocci.

Anyway, I'm thankful for his style of wrestling.

I would make a bold statement but will hold off for now.

He is predominantly right lead leg with collar wrist tie but smoothly transitions to left lead with a neutral outside tie (not deep). He doesn't stay in a tie long as he is attempting to create more reactions.

As coaches we can teach tie ups to both sides that our wrestlers can transition back and forth from which they will generate progressions of attacks.

This is advanced but can be scaled up. Just have to incorporate the smaller pieces of the attack and then marry them together as the positions are mastered.

So, the rapidity of attacks is counterintuitive and can only be accomplished through drilling and getting the wrestler accustomed to attack in this way.

What you see with younger guys and is evident when you been around wrestling for a while. Attacking is met by punishment because position is compromised when you attack an older wiser wrestler.

However, you can turn this paradigm on its head if you focus on the set ups and movements which don't allow an established wrestler to stay in position from which they are comfortable. Constantly working to set up and move the opponent in an effort to move them out of position. This is accomplished by what you see out of Messenbrink. Both sides. Controlled ties and loose ties. Get a reaction and continue into the next tie up, fake or attack.

A lot of wrestling practices can be too long and require too much drivel, which is a recipe for mediocrioty.

I talk about end driven goals and wrestling. This is exactly that. Set your practices up to get your wrestlers to wrestle in such a way that creates action by attacking both sides and is meant to break position. Otherwise, wrestlers will get use to standing around and maintaining position and encouraging a slow pace.
My next question is does this work against David Carr and Keegan O'Toole who are measured and position wrestlers.

And it's a statement on the importance of set ups, attacking both sides and working in and out of tie ups.

Have not seen his hands out of position or defend solid leg attacks of which he will likely be tested against O'Toole and Carr.

It is Penn State and his coach is Cael, who mastered a similar but difference offensive attack. Won't surprise me if he beats everyone.

I'll go ahead and make a bold statement: He's not losing this year.

All good stuff, though Psycho had a lot of this from Askren.

Which makes it all the funnier that his club teammate, also coached for years by Askren, has become the board's punching bag while still in high school.

Reactions: Ski and Psubiomed
All good stuff, though Psycho had a lot of this from Askren.

Which makes it all the funnier that his club teammate, also coached for years by Askren, has become the board's punching bag while still in high school.

Maybe I'm having a brain fart but who's the board's punching bag while still in high school? I thought Spencer Lee graduated.

Cole Mirasola.

Ahhh... Well, there will always be these:
negative-nancy-theres-no-hope.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT