ADVERTISEMENT

14 FIFA arrests, Freeh's boy bin Hammam not included

MichaelJackSchmidt

Dec 27, 2011
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/28/s...rruption-charges-blatter-isnt-among-them.html

Very interesting to note that the Freeh/FIFA "investigation" focused on Mohammed bin Hammam (whose lifetime ban was overturned by the Court of Arbitration of Sports), yet he is not mentioned in the initial 14 arrests. Go figure.

This from the article is quite fascinating. Substitute BOT for FIFA and it rolls right off your tongue.
"Critics of FIFA point to the lack of transparency regarding executive salaries and resource allocations for an organization that, by its own admission, had revenue of $5.7 billion from 2011 to 2014. Policy decisions are also often taken without debate or explanation, and a small group of officials — known as the executive committee — operates with outsize power. FIFA has for years functioned with little oversight and even less transparency. Alexandra Wrage, a governance consultant who once unsuccessfully attempted to help overhaul FIFA’s methods, famously labeled the organization “byzantine and impenetrable.”

Last edited:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/28/s...rruption-charges-blatter-isnt-among-them.html

Very interesting to note that the Freeh/FIFA "investigation" focused on Mohammed bin Hammam (whose lifetime ban was overturned by the Court of Arbitration of Sports), yet he is not mentioned in the initial 14 arrests. Go figure.

This from the article is quite fascinating. Substitute BOT for FIFA and it rolls right off your tongue.
"Critics of FIFA point to the lack of transparency regarding executive salaries and resource allocations for an organization that, by its own admission, had revenue of $5.7 billion from 2011 to 2014. Policy decisions are also often taken without debate or explanation, and a small group of officials — known as the executive committee — operates with outsize power. FIFA has for years functioned with little oversight and even less transparency. Alexandra Wrage, a governance consultant who once unsuccessfully attempted to help overhaul FIFA’s methods, famously labeled the organization “byzantine and impenetrable.”
Here is an interesting article from BleacherReport discussing Freeh's FIFA "investigation". Clearly, Freeh's conclusions can be bought and sold.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion

Until they arrest or get rid of Sepp Blatter that organization will remain as arrogant and corrupt as ever.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Freeh investigates FIFA for corruption. Indicts the only guy not arrested for corruption.

sounds par for the course for Freeh . . .

There's nothing better that sums up Freeh and his investigations than your post. You would think someone in the media would eventually notice. ;)

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that NO ONE in the national/international media is now asking about how/why freeh came to the conclusions he did when it seems his report was an exact 180 of what was really happening.....just like his PSU report.

This recent news has got to be incredibly damning for freeh and his firm's reputation...but alas...the media continues to gobble up everything he says as if it were gospel

This is not really a great anti-Freeh subject. The Sport Appeal Board voted 2-1 to remove a lifetime ban even though it concluded that it was "more likely than not" that bin Hamman was the source of hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribe money paid to officials allegedly to purchase their votes for his run as head of FIFA. There was also testimony that Jack Wagner told bin Hammam to bring cash to the meetings. But, the panel members apparently wanted positive confirmation that cash came from bin Hammam (not other source was suggested).

At the time of the hearing he was under an investigation that resulted in his again being banned for life for "conflicts of interest" 7 months later. Last year emails were published giving details about a similar bride scheme whereby money was paid to a number of African FIFA officials by bin Hammam directly, or through his daughter.

This is not really a great anti-Freeh subject. The Sport Appeal Board voted 2-1 to remove a lifetime ban even though it concluded that it was "more likely than not" that bin Hamman was the source of hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribe money paid to officials allegedly to purchase their votes for his run as head of FIFA. There was also testimony that Jack Wagner told bin Hammam to bring cash to the meetings. But, the panel members apparently wanted positive confirmation that cash came from bin Hammam (not other source was suggested).

At the time of the hearing he was under an investigation that resulted in his again being banned for life for "conflicts of interest" 7 months later. Last year emails were published giving details about a similar bride scheme whereby money was paid to a number of African FIFA officials by bin Hammam directly, or through his daughter.

Au contraire. This is just more evidence that Freeh's business model is "hitman for hire." Sepp Blatter didn't hire Freeh to root out corruption within FIFA. He hired Freeh to get rid of an archrival who was playing just as dirty as Blatter and his allies. It's just like the Wynn case. Neither Wynn nor Okada is an angel, but Freeh's job was to get Okada out of Wynn's way.

Au contraire. This is just more evidence that Freeh's business model is "hitman for hire." Sepp Blatter didn't hire Freeh to root out corruption within FIFA. He hired Freeh to get rid of an archrival who was playing just as dirty as Blatter and his allies. It's just like the Wynn case. Neither Wynn nor Okada is an angel, but Freeh's job was to get Okada out of Wynn's way.
BINGO!

Freeh in my opinion made some big leaps in the Penn St. affair. While I believe the 3 men awaiting trial made some big mistakes I also think Freeh painted them as a calculating, diabolical bunch bent on a coverup when I just think they made a bad decision. In this case today FIFA is a corrupt organization so it really is light years different than the Penn State situation.

Reactions: psualt and psu00
Freeh in my opinion made some big leaps in the Penn St. affair. While I believe the 3 men awaiting trial made some big mistakes I also think Freeh painted them as a calculating, diabolical bunch bent on a coverup when I just think they made a bad decision. In this case today FIFA is a corrupt organization so it really is light years different than the Penn State situation.

Of course the situation is different. I am pointing out that Freeh writes exactly what he is paid to write. In the FIFA situation, Blatter wanted to get rid of a threat (bin Hamman) and Freeh obliged. In the Wynn situation, Wynn wanted to be able to force out Okada at a discount, and Freeh obliged. In the Penn State situation, the Trustees wanted to be vindicated for their idiotic actions in November 2011, and Freeh obliged.

Freeh writes whatever who is writing the checks tells him to write.

Period.

I agree with aoshiro, and would add this. If bin Hamman was as evil and corrupt as you say, why was it that Freeh was not able to build a case which stuck? Seems likely that Freeh knew what you are saying and what the US government is saying--that the whole thing was a den of thieves and criminals. If so, and Freeh knew it, why was he carrying their water?

Until they arrest or get rid of Sepp Blatter that organization will remain as arrogant and corrupt as ever.

The piece on E 60 last night on Sepp and FIFA was pretty amazing. That guy just does whatever the hell he wants and the rest of that organization is running around with their hands out for votes. The problem is you cannot subpoena anyone within FIFA when you are investigating them. They do not cooperate with any investigations and basically tell everyone to get bent. The small nations in the world love Sepp as he keeps paying them their 40 or so million dollars after each WC so he locks up their votes and stays in power. The bigger nations need to come together and boycott a WC and you'll see that tyrant fold as it's all about the money to him.

Reactions: tgar
The piece on E 60 last night on Sepp and FIFA was pretty amazing. That guy just does whatever the hell he wants and the rest of that organization is running around with their hands out for votes. The problem is you cannot subpoena anyone within FIFA when you are investigating them. They do not cooperate with any investigations and basically tell everyone to get bent. The small nations in the world love Sepp as he keeps paying them their 40 or so million dollars after each WC so he locks up their votes and stays in power. The bigger nations need to come together and boycott a WC and you'll see that tyrant fold as it's all about the money to him.
I m guessing that with these 14 arrests the prosecutors will attempt to develop the evidence they need to light Sepp's candle too, by flipping the guys they just indicted. No honor among thieves, and all that...

I m guessing that with these 14 arrests the prosecutors will attempt to develop the evidence they need to light Sepp's candle too, by flipping the guys they just indicted. No honor among thieves, and all that...

I would think that is there only real avenue to get to this guy, but I'm assuming he knows this as well. He is just too damn arrogant to care.

DEM,

I'm a bit confused...when did a guy named Sepp join the BOT:)
You are talking about those honor-less thieves, right?

Reactions: demlion
ADVERTISEMENT