ADVERTISEMENT

13 years running... If you're not winning on the mat... win in the stands

amalone

Oct 12, 2005
Article Aside: Ohio State also used to have the title of most wrestling twitter hits... UNTIL Penn State took it back with social media savvy.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...n-tom-brands-hawkeyes-spencer-lee/3488200002/

Wonder if they'll hand out rings like Pittsburgh University does for it's EWL Championship "title"??

http://www.edgemontwrestling.org/bl...itt-wrestling-receive-ewl-championship-rings/

IMG_0705-221x300.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: lionlover
First in overall attendance, yet Penn State, Michigan and Ohio State were the participants in the highest attended dual meets for the season. Kind of like getting a Co Big10 dual participation championship and in the biggest events still finishing several spots behind Penn State.
If Brands had agreed to travel to Penn State for a reciprocal dual meet the Hawks could have at least claimed first in overall attendance and first in best attended dual.

Last edited:
Reactions: amalone
By the time you get to Oklahoma, the average attendance is half that of Iowa. That sucks for the sport.

Interesting that NCS is only #20 in the face of a greatly improved program. Certainly a reflection of being in b-ball country. Still, I hope that interest/attendance picks up as their success continues. Would love to see wrestling take off in the SE.

Interesting that NCS is only #20 in the face of a greatly improved program. Certainly a reflection of being in b-ball country. Still, I hope that interest/attendance picks up as their success continues. Would love to see wrestling take off in the SE.

I bought season tickets for NCSU this year as I live in Raleigh. I admittedly didn't make it to any matches this year as their match schedule was very close to PSU's when it came to dates/times. Their season tickets were only $30 though so I'll just look at it being my contribution to the program. If you can't make it to a match it gives you the option to donate your ticket to military personnel.

Reactions: tomsc
Lock Haven #12 on the list with just under 2K per match with a home schedule that consisted of George Mason, Millersville,Rider, Clarion & App. State is really impressive. Having only 5 home duals probably helped the per meet average, but considering they gave up their most attractive home opponent (ASU, wrestled at Red Lion HS was not considered in the figures) they conceivably could have cracked the top 10. Pretty darn good for a school with under 4K enrollment.

Must have something to do with @smalls103 cash infusion.

Lock Haven #12 on the list with just under 2K per match with a home schedule that consisted of George Mason, Millersville,Rider, Clarion & App. State is really impressive. Having only 5 home duals probably helped the per meet average, but considering they gave up their most attractive home opponent (ASU, wrestled at Red Lion HS was not considered in the figures) they conceivably could have cracked the top 10. Pretty darn good for a school with under 4K enrollment.

Combination of Willie's cash, hundreds of PSU fans buying LHU tickets for access to NCAA tickets and a constant, bulldog effort from coach Moore.

Reactions: Idahopennstatefan
...it would be interesting to note each team's attendance record as the "visiting team"...
... it would be a possible indication of the drawing power of each team when they are "on the road"...
... jes wunderin'... :)

Reactions: danoftw
...it would be interesting to note each team's attendance record as the "visiting team"...
... it would be a possible indication of the drawing power of each team when they are "on the road"...
We have been breaking a lot of opposing team’s records lately.

@smalls103 donated $1000 to Lock Haven.

Lock Haven's recruiting budget = $1000.

Therefore Willie is the primary recruiting benefactor to two Central PA programs.

@smalls103 donated $1000 to Lock Haven.

Lock Haven's recruiting budget = $1000.

Therefore Willie is the primary recruiting benefactor to two Central PA programs.
One on the books... the other... no so much so according to the 3 Ring Binder.

The ledger posting for the Penn State Wrestling Secret Slush Fund was under Big Benefactor aka BIG BILL WILL or Chael Crusher. And Larry Lee knew that had to be... you know who. He must have used his Hawkeye decoder ringer to put the pieces together. You know... Larry... he's a "HAWK" on these situations or a little fly on s--- … whenever you prefer.

Last edited:
Reactions: psu ironman
You have to give Iowa fans credit. The days of Iowa being on top are becoming a distant memory, but they keep showing up. Rutgers has the best attendance/quality ratio. They were a dismal dual team last season, but the fans still come.

Reactions: nitlion6
You have to give Iowa fans credit. The days of Iowa being on top are becoming a distant memory, but they keep showing up. Rutgers has the best attendance/quality ratio. They were a dismal dual team last season, but the fans still come.
Yeah Matter they were "DISMAL"?? South Dakota State went 3-10 thats dismal. Maryland at 2-12 and 0-9 in B1G was dismal..Your hate of the Rutgers/Goodale program is over the top. RU was 12-6 (5-4 in B1G) and 7-3 at home. Not a great year but very far from dismal. You have screamed for years that RU/Goodale would never produce, You must have been just miserable watching Rutgers claim 2 NCAA Titles and then Goodale being named Tournament Coach of Year!

Last edited:
Reactions: crablegs1
Yeah Matter they were "DISMAL"?? South Dakota State went 3-10 thats dismal. Maryland at 2-12 and 0-9 in B1G was dismal..Your hate of the Rutgers/Goodale program is over the top. RU was 12-6 (5-4 in B1G) and 7-3 at home. Not a great year but very far from dismal. You have screamed for years that RU/Goodale would never produce, You must have been just miserable watching Rutgers claim 2 NCAA Titles and then Goodale being named Tournament Coach of Year!

Who did they beat in duals last season? Hofstra? Who did they lose to? It helps your record when you put two division 3 teams on your home schedule. Rutgers didn't beat any team ranked in the top 15 dual rankings. Lost to Utah Valley. Scored in single digits in 4 duals. Beat Michigan State by 2 points. Beat Princeton by 1. Tied Wisconsin. Beat Maryland by 25-12. No. They were a dismal dual team. Yes. There were more dismal. But I guess if that's your standard, have a ball.

Talk to me after next year. Better fatten up on d3 teams and programs on the skids because the cupboard is almost bare.

Who did they beat in duals last season? Hofstra? Who did they lose to? It helps your record when you put two division 3 teams on your home schedule. Rutgers didn't beat any team ranked in the top 15 dual rankings. Lost to Utah Valley. Scored in single digits in 4 duals. Beat Michigan State by 2 points. Beat Princeton by 1. Tied Wisconsin. Beat Maryland by 25-12. No. They were a dismal dual team. Yes. There were more dismal. But I guess if that's your standard, have a ball.

Talk to me after next year. Better fatten up on d3 teams and programs on the skids because the cupboard is almost bare.
Forgot the BOOM. They like the BOOM.
BOOM-beat MSU by 2.
BOOM-5-4 in B1G
BOOM-handled Centenary
BOOM-perinnial top 10 finishes in the top 10 for 1st time
BOOM-we're bringing home hardware from NCAAs
il_794xN.1066856370_n21s.jpg

BOOM-Goodale hoists 10th place trophy. Molded out of a piece of gum Suriano stuck under Goodale's chair.

Forgot the BOOM. They like the BOOM.
BOOM-beat MSU by 2.
BOOM-5-4 in B1G
BOOM-handled Centenary
BOOM-perinnial top 10 finishes in the top 10 for 1st time
BOOM-we're bringing home hardware from NCAAs
il_794xN.1066856370_n21s.jpg

BOOM-Goodale hoists 10th place trophy. Molded out of a piece of gum Suriano stuck under Goodale's chair.

Correction 9th place. If you are trying at least get the facts straight (matter cares about the facts).

Biased sample, as not every AWAY dual is captured, in fact not close to every dual is captured. What is below are the averages based on the data I had available, which are the top attendance duals for the years 2002 until present. Data is presented as; (1) using all years, then (2) using the Cael years at PSU (2010 to present);

2002 - Present (School, # of instances, average for those "instances)
Iowa 53 6080
Penn State 34 5783
Iowa State 21 4967
Oklahoma 20 4687
Oklahoma State 33 4646
Ohio State 10 4508
Minnesota 12 3473
Michigan 13 3258

2010 - Present (only used those teams that showed up 8 or more times)
Penn State 26 6649
Iowa 29 6412
Ohio State 8 5303
Iowa State 9 4767
Oklahoma State 14 4697
Oklahoma 11 3801

With limited data, it's still possible to make several conclusions;
-- Iowa is a tremendous draw away from CHA
-- Penn State and Ohio State have, it appears, experienced the highest attendance increase over the past 10 years or so
-- I really don't want to make too many conclusions, as other variables enter in. This is however, the attendance averages against the best of the best, and when considering 53 instances for Iowa showing up as an opponent, PSU at 34, and OSU at 33, there is some confidence in the two bullets above.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT