ADVERTISEMENT

10 AAs

PSUisawesome

Feb 22, 2017
after Saturday it seems like we have a legit shot at not only winning the Nationals ( which I always felt we would) but of walking away with 10 All-Americans. I now find myself as invested in 125 and 133 as in any other weight class on the team.... and praying for a speedy recovery at 157

I think the guys at 125 and 133, and I'll add 197, now give us someone to root for that isn't "expected" to win a championship. Not that it is getting boring to see Zain, Joseph, Hall, and Bo win their matches, but with the struggles at the lower weights and the uncertainty at 197 it really makes for more exciting drama. There is drama at 157 too, but we all could have done without that drama I believe.

Won't be easy getting the 125 ticket to the NCAAs. really like the idea of 10 AAs though

My favorite match Saturday was 125 but if Nato doesn't get the big 10 a qualifying spot he will definitely take one and then it becomes next to impossible for Kuhn too take someone's not sure of the road

Historically speaking it is much easier to have 5 champion wrestlers (5 times) that it is to have 10 AAs (once).

Nice topic for conversation purposes, but we will not have 10 AAs this year.
The team that competed Saturday is definitely the exception to the rule. At 125 we can be better than Piccininni (that is hard to spell) Lizak or Sean Fausz all in the top eight right now. At 133 we can beat pletcher bridges Terao desanto and Micic. I'm not saying we will I'm saying we can. Can was good enough for the Raptor on Saturday it good enough for me in March.

The team that competed Saturday is definitely the exception to the rule. At 125 we can be better than Piccininni (that is hard to spell) Lizak or Sean Fausz all in the top eight right now. At 133 we can beat pletcher bridges Terao desanto and Micic. I'm not saying we will I'm saying we can. Can was good enough for the Raptor on Saturday it good enough for me in March.
I freaking hate being put into a position where to continue a conversation I have to post something negative about a PSU kid and it irritates the hell out of me when someone does so.

So, without any specifics we will not have 10 AAs. I am done with this thread.

I freaking hate being put into a position where to continue a conversation I have to post something negative about a PSU kid and it irritates the hell out of me when someone does so.

Not my intention. Still pretty excited after Saturday.

I'd love you to be right, but Kuhn beating Picc sounds like a fairy tale. I loved what Kuhn did Saturday, but come on man, be realistic.

As for Keener getting AA.... he faced #16 Delvecchio last weekend and didn't seriously challenge him. Love Keener, but I'd assume he's a super long shot.

Love your enthusiasm, but 10 AAs for us is about as likely as Iowa winning it at all..in other words, not very likely.

Reactions: Hartzie

Could not agree more.

That said, We will take 10 to Cleveland, whether NATO earns a spot or not. The talent on display in the first period will be ready for the long matches to earn at least 8th at BIGs.

Could not agree more.

That said, We will take 10 to Cleveland, whether NATO earns a spot or not. The talent on display in the first period will be ready for the long matches to earn at least 8th at BIGs.
hope you're right but you are basing a lot on one match. OSU could have wrestled differently and with, perhaps, different outcomes. As an example - Nato did get to the legs pretty easy and when he did he got 2. However, I'm not sure what Moore would do differently - be more aggressive? -then that might be good for our guys... Assessment on NLee - doesn't matter what JoeM does differently - Nick has him...

Just think about this statement LemonPie being the voice of reason.
Fine so nobody on this board felt a thrill during 125/133 that they had not all year? I felt that our performance at 125/133/197 put the world on notice that Cael is planning to challenge for AA at all ten weights. As I said earlier this was not meant to piss anyone off or offend any expert sensibilities. It's was just to call it like I see it PSU is not half done with season.

Fine so nobody on this board felt a thrill during 125/133 that they had not all year? I felt that our performance at 125/133/197 put the world on notice that Cael is planning to challenge for AA at all ten weights. As I said earlier this was not meant to piss anyone off or offend any expert sensibilities. It's was just to call it like I see it PSU is not half done with season.
I am sure Kuhn and Keener have their personal goals set at AA at least as well. Not many fans probably gave English much of a chance either! That is why they wrestle!

Yea, I definitely felt a thrill. I jumped about three feet in the air when Kuhn threw Nato...almost landed on the guy in the row in front of me. My voice was mostly shot by the end of the 1st period. And yes I'm sure others took notice of Carson's performance. I'm super excited for what the rest of the season holds for Carson. Also a huge fan of Keener's...he went to same high school that my wife did.

I hope like check those guys can go on a great run, and yes crazier things have happened. But I'm also trying to keep my expectations in check and not go off the reservation with any unrealistic predictions.

Last point, most on this board would agree with one of our 97s getting AA. But AA at 25 or 33 would be a real stretch.

This is as delusional as anything I've seen on HR.
Had someone called 5 National Champions last year I’d have called them delusional as well. I’m getting to the point I’m just gonna keep my mouth shut when people make wildly optimistic posts... cuz....well... because I know Cael and his team will eventually prove me to be a fool.

Big 10 at 125 should get 10 bids Tomasello,Suriano,Lizak,Lee,Rivera,Mattin,Welch,Oliver,Piotrowski and Foley.
The 4 not earning bids Kuhn,Cray,Maginnis and Jimenez

Big 10 at 125 should get 10 bids Tomasello,Suriano,Lizak,Lee,Rivera,Mattin,Welch,Oliver,Piotrowski and Foley.
The 4 not earning bids Kuhn,Cray,Maginnis and Jimenez
I am far from an expert given that I have never read a policy manual at work I sure have never read how this stuff works but does nato really have a chance of earning a spot with 6 matches so far. I recall synder went to the big 10 with 4 or 5 matches and didn’t earn a spot and had to take one. Assume nato does this, that would leave Kuhn to take another which is harder of Foley doesn’t earn one. I myself wouldn’t give foley a spot just in case he is related to the foley who writes for intermat

I am far from an expert given that I have never read a policy manual at work I sure have never read how this stuff works but does nato really have a chance of earning a spot with 6 matches so far. I recall synder went to the big 10 with 4 or 5 matches and didn’t earn a spot and had to take one. Assume nato does this, that would leave Kuhn to take another which is harder of Foley doesn’t earn one. I myself wouldn’t give foley a spot just in case he is related to the foley who writes for intermat
Wrestlers must also have wrestled a minimum of eight matches at the championships weight class. Wrestlers who meet or exceed threshold levels for all three measures will be labeled “Gold Standard.” Wrestlers who meet or exceed threshold levels for any two of the three measures will be labeled “Silver Standard.” All Gold and Silver Standard wrestlers will earn a qualifier position for their respective weight class at their respective qualifying event.

Nato has 2 more duals to hit his 8 matches. That will put him at silver standard. He qualifies by placing high enough in the Big 10 tournament.

Wrestlers must also have wrestled a minimum of eight matches at the championships weight class. Wrestlers who meet or exceed threshold levels for all three measures will be labeled “Gold Standard.” Wrestlers who meet or exceed threshold levels for any two of the three measures will be labeled “Silver Standard.” All Gold and Silver Standard wrestlers will earn a qualifier position for their respective weight class at their respective qualifying event.

Nato has 2 more duals to hit his 8 matches. That will put him at silver standard. He qualifies by placing high enough in the Big 10 tournament.
You need 8 matches to qualify for winning % and need to be 70%
You need 5 matches (1 in last 30 days) to qualify for coaches poll need top 33
You need 17 matches at weight against D1 opponents to qualify for RPI need top 33
If you meet 2 of those criteria you earn a bid for the conference
Tomasello will have 2 and earn a bid if he wins 1 of his remaining matches against Mattin and Fausz

You need 17 matches at weight against D1 opponents to qualify for RPI need top 33
Tomasello will have 2 and earn a bid if he wins 1 of his remaining matches against Mattin and Fausz
He will earn a bid for the conference, not him personally is what I meant. He would then have to finish high enough in the Big 10 tournament to qualify for nationals. If he doesn’t, then he would have to meet 2 out of the 6 secondary criteria to meet bronze standard and be considered for an at-large spot. If I am reading the rules correctly.

He will earn a bid for the conference, not him personally is what I meant. He would then have to finish high enough in the Big 10 tournament to qualify for nationals. If he doesn’t, then he would have to meet 2 out of the 6 secondary criteria to meet bronze standard and be considered for an at-large spot. If I am reading the rules correctly.
I should have said Tomasello will allocate a spot for big 10 if he wins 1 of his final 2 matches.Then place high enough at big 10 to earn a bid to Ncaa

Those thresholds are starting points only. Each of the three (3) criteria may float up or down to get to the final qualifying criteria...and it will be different for each weight class. Here's the language from the manual...

Threshold levels may slide up or down in concert (i.e., slide up to .800 Win %, top 20 RPI and top 20 CR or slide down to .700 Win %, top 30 RPI and top 30 CR) to achieve a total number of automatic qualifiers in the desired range.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT