ADVERTISEMENT

“Penn State President shares welcome back message of inclusion, civil engagement”

This post reminds me of James Carville comment on running a statewide political campaign in Pennsylvania.
" Philadelphia on the east, Pittsburgh in the west and Mississippi in between"

Carville though more highly of the Keystone State. It was "Alabama in between."

I don’t think this is why other countries are ahead of us. It’s two fold. We keep de-emphasizing education by cutting the budget and funding for education from k-12 in the United States.

Secondly, the cost of post-secondary education has skyrocketed. It’s become increasingly more difficult for kids to afford to even get an education now. A bachelor’s degree is no longer good enough so when you combine the cost of that with a post-graduate degree it becomes staggeringly difficult for kids to get that education.

Other countries make it a priority to make sure educating their youth is affordable and accessible why we constantly defund our education system and build financial barriers that keeps kids out.

If we want to keep up with the other first world countries we need to fix these things.

I might argue that secondary education is way over funded. Nothing beats a government backed loan dealt out to a kid.

I don’t think this is why other countries are ahead of us. It’s two fold. We keep de-emphasizing education by cutting the budget and funding for education from k-12 in the United States.

Secondly, the cost of post-secondary education has skyrocketed. It’s become increasingly more difficult for kids to afford to even get an education now. A bachelor’s degree is no longer good enough so when you combine the cost of that with a post-graduate degree it becomes staggeringly difficult for kids to get that education.

Other countries make it a priority to make sure educating their youth is affordable and accessible why we constantly defund our education system and build financial barriers that keeps kids out.

If we want to keep up with the other first world countries we need to fix these things.

Are places really cutting the budget for k-12 funding or are they just not increasing the budget as much as some would ask? I'm guessing it's the latter but don't really know.

Are places really cutting the budget for k-12 funding or are they just not increasing the budget as much as some would ask? I'm guessing it's the latter but don't really know.

The Federal Government has been cutting funding for education for K-12 for years and under Corbett it was gutted pretty heavily in Pennsylvania on the state level. There is a lot of information out there about it but from 2011-2015 Congress cut it by 20%, which is a lot.

https://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/d...funding-cut-by-5-times-more-than-all-spending

When you couple that with the skyrocketing cost of post-secondary education it's no wonder the United States is getting passed by other countries. Again, we cut funding and create financial barriers for education. Other countries value educating their youth in a way we don't and they make it a priority and more accessible.

I loved Penn State as a student and later as an alumnus, but after the BOT abdicated all moral authority for expediency, I changed. I still root for the athletic teams but I didn't let my kids attend.

Reactions: Nitt1300 and Madsol
Huh? This is an ideology problem, not a money problem. More kids know what global warming is than know how to conjugate a verb or describe what friction does.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT