ADVERTISEMENT

“Outgoing chair Mark Dambly reflects on board's progress, accomplishments”

BobPSU92

May 6, 2015
See the link below. From the article:

“UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — After a decade of serving on the Penn State Board of Trustees, including three years as chair, Mark Dambly’s term at the helm officially ended today (Nov. 13) with leadership of the board transitioning to long-time vice chair Matt Schuyler. Penn State Today sat down with Dambly to reflect on his time with the board:

TODAY: You served for a number of years before being elected as vice chair in 2016 and chair in 2017. What made you decide to run for a leadership position?

DAMBLY: I had served as chair of a number of committees and I had been on the executive committee. I felt like I had something to offer in terms of my leadership skills and as a proud alumnus. I sensed a unique opportunity to work with my colleagues to restore trust, transparency and collegiality. I was encouraged by a number of board members to pursue leadership, so I took the opportunity. Ira Lubert when he was chair gave me the opportunity to work hand-in-hand with him as vice chair, and so when Ira decided not to pursue a second term, it seemed natural to me to run for chair.

TODAY: Right. Lubert was elected chair and you vice chair in 2016. Can you talk more about your relationship with him and how that influenced your leadership style?

DAMBLY: Ira and I are close, personal friends. When he became chair and I became vice chair, we were almost interchangeable from a leadership perspective. He offered me the opportunity to be involved in every conversation, every decision, every meeting. It gave me an incredible opportunity to have insight into what the roles, responsibilities and obligations are to be chair.”

And,

“TODAY: When you began as board chair, what were some of your main priorities?

DAMBLY: One of my main objectives was to increase the level of trust and transparency within the board. We embarked on a process of very open leadership. We do twice monthly calls between board meetings. We’ve opened up all of the committee meetings and scheduled these meetings so every trustee can attend every meeting. If a trustee has a particular interest in a subject matter, they can engage in the conversations whether they are on the committee or not...Ultimately, we’ve increased transparency and trust, and that’s helped to lower the temperature in the room and significantly improve collegiality overall.”

And,

TODAY: What are some other areas of progress?

DAMBLY: The University’s fiscal aspects are very important to us. We worked with President [Eric] Barron to bring in a consultant to do an optimization study to help the board and the University assess opportunities for efficiencies and savings. The University has harvested hundreds of millions of dollars in savings as a result, in areas such as procurement, benefits and IT. The study also identified new opportunities for revenue growth.

We’ve also increased accessibility for key University stakeholders to the trustees. Under my leadership, at each board meeting we have separate meetings with the student leadership, the Faculty Senate leadership and the staff leadership, all to increase accessibility to the trustees.”

It’s called leading.

DAMBLY: One of my main objectives was to increase the level of trust and transparency within the board. We embarked on a process of very open leadership. We do twice monthly calls between board meetings. We’ve opened up all of the committee meetings and scheduled these meetings so every trustee can attend every meeting. If a trustee has a particular interest in a subject matter, they can engage in the conversations whether they are on the committee or not...Ultimately, we’ve increased transparency and trust, and that’s helped to lower the temperature in the room and significantly improve collegiality overall.”

If this was a main priority, it was an epic and complete failure.

I did not read through the link, but would love to know if cost of education at PSU is even an after thought to the Board.....and if not there will become an increasingly bigger and bigger issue as the PSU Education is priced out of the reach of many of the PA Commonwealth residents. There is a reckoning coming after COVID, as people are seeing that you can get a diploma while living at home, and the market for higher education will force many schools to go out of existence and many of the survivors to justify the money that they have been spending as it had better have been spent on enhancing the student experience or bringing down costs.

“UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — After a decade of serving on the Penn State Board of Trustees, including three years as chair, Mark Dambly’s term at the helm officially ended today (Nov. 13) with leadership of the board transitioning to long-time vice chair Matt Schuyler. Penn State Today sat down with Dambly to reflect on his time with the board:

TODAY: You served for a number of years before being elected as vice chair in 2016 and chair in 2017. What made you decide to run for a leadership position?

DAMBLY: I had served as chair of a number of committees and I had been on the executive committee. I felt like I had something to offer in terms of my leadership skills and as a proud alumnus. I sensed a unique opportunity to work with my colleagues to restore trust, transparency and collegiality. I was encouraged by a number of board members to pursue leadership, so I took the opportunity. Ira Lubert when he was chair gave me the opportunity to work hand-in-hand with him as vice chair, and so when Ira decided not to pursue a second term, it seemed natural to me to run for chair.

TODAY: Right. Lubert was elected chair and you vice chair in 2016. Can you talk more about your relationship with him and how that influenced your leadership style?

DAMBLY: Ira and I are close, personal friends. When he became chair and I became vice chair, we were almost interchangeable from a leadership perspective. He offered me the opportunity to be involved in every conversation, every decision, every meeting. It gave me an incredible opportunity to have insight into what the roles, responsibilities and obligations are to be chair.”

And,

And,

DAMBLY: The University’s fiscal aspects are very important to us. We worked with President [Eric] Barron to bring in a consultant to do an optimization study to help the board and the University assess opportunities for efficiencies and savings. The University has harvested hundreds of millions of dollars in savings as a result, in areas such as procurement, benefits and IT. The study also identified new opportunities for revenue growth.

We’ve also increased accessibility for key University stakeholders to the trustees. Under my leadership, at each board meeting we have separate meetings with the student leadership, the Faculty Senate leadership and the staff leadership, all to increase accessibility to the trustees.”

It’s called leading.
I hate to be critical, but where did the hundreds of millions in savings go? Where is that reflected anywhere? Granted I haven’t read the financial reports in depth ( not that I would understand them ), but has this windfall been reported on and I missed it? I know if I stumbled upon several hundred millions of dollars in a dresser draw I couldn’t keep it a secret.

I hate to be critical, but where did the hundreds of millions in savings go? Where is that reflected anywhere? Granted I haven’t read the financial reports in depth ( not that I would understand them ), but has this windfall been reported on and I missed it? I know if I stumbled upon several hundred millions of dollars in a dresser draw I couldn’t keep it a secret.

Don’t concern yourself with that. Just keep giving early, often, and in large sums. They will tell you when they have enough.

I did not read through the link, but would love to know if cost of education at PSU is even an after thought to the Board.....and if not there will become an increasingly bigger and bigger issue as the PSU Education is priced out of the reach of many of the PA Commonwealth residents. There is a reckoning coming after COVID, as people are seeing that you can get a diploma while living at home, and the market for higher education will force many schools to go out of existence and many of the survivors to justify the money that they have been spending as it had better have been spent on enhancing the student experience or bringing down costs.
And when that reckoning comes I will cheer it because it is long overdue. On line education is the future.

Not a fan of the guy in any way.
How can you not be a fan? Pretty good write up of when Markie was became incoming chair. Text below the link, so this can exist in many, many different places on the Internet.

1. Disorderly Conduct - 5 days in jail
2. Snitch/Wire Wearer to avoid jail sentence in the Dr Snow Investigation
3. DUI/Marijuana Possession
4. PSU Chairman

Dambly's Checkered Life

Is Mark Dambly Wearing A Wire?

By Ralph Cipriano
for BigTrial.net

If you're a Penn State trustee, and you're going to talk to Mark Dambly about his impending election tomorrow as chairman of the board, should you pat him down first?

Yes, say two former investigators.

"My first question [for Dambly] would be, 'Hey, you still wearing a wire?' " said John Snedden, a former NCIS and FIS special agent who's a Penn State alum.

"Once a snitch, always a snitch," said another former investigator who worked the infamous "Dr. Snow" cocaine ring of the 1980s and said that Dambly wore a wire to get himself out of trouble with the feds.

With Dambly currently the subject of a federal subpoena in the Allentown pay-to-play corruption case, Snedden said, there are only two remaining possibilities left in the investigation where nine people have already copped pleas.

"At this stage of the investigation it is very likely that he is either THE subject or he is cooperating with the investigation," as in wearing a wire, Snedden said.

"Penn State needs to determine his specific involvement in all his alleged criminal endeavors so they can specifically identify the LOSS EXPOSURE he brings to Penn State," Snedden said.

Dambly has not responded to requests for comment about his alleged involvement in the Dr. Snow cocaine ring, and the five days in jail he spend back in 1979 as a Penn State student after he got nailed for disorderly conduct.

But Dambly is all ready for his impending coronation tomorrow as the new chairman of the Penn State board of trustees.

Meanwhile, a new arrest involving Dambly has surfaced. Dambly was arrested on May 27, 1987 and charged with driving under the influence of alcohol, driving at an unsafe speed, failure to keep right, and possession of marijuana. He was released on $500 bail.

The 1987 arrest, as well as his earlier 1979 arrest, have been expunged.

The other mystery in this latest Penn State scandal -- besides the insanity of why Penn State would want somebody with as much baggage as Dambly as the face of the franchise -- would be why The Philadelphia Inquirer is sitting on this story.

Every scrap of information your Big Trial correspondent published on Monday about Mark Dambly was in the possession of a couple of reporters at the Inquirer, but they haven't written a word. Maybe they're waiting for an editor to give them permission to write about Dambly.

After he becomes chairman of the board.

Or, maybe when the newspaper called the feds, they said, Hey, lay off our boy Mark. He's working for us again.

Posted By bigtrial.net at 1:32 PM
Trials: Penn State Election

Ahhh, that explains that, after scraping when we were young alumnis to become "Life" members in 90s, we were asked a few years ago to become "sustaining Life" members!! More revenue efficiency...

How can you not be a fan? Pretty good write up of when Markie was became incoming chair. Text below the link, so this can exist in many, many different places on the Internet.

1. Disorderly Conduct - 5 days in jail
2. Snitch/Wire Wearer to avoid jail sentence in the Dr Snow Investigation
3. DUI/Marijuana Possession
4. PSU Chairman

Dambly's Checkered Life

Is Mark Dambly Wearing A Wire?

By Ralph Cipriano
for BigTrial.net

If you're a Penn State trustee, and you're going to talk to Mark Dambly about his impending election tomorrow as chairman of the board, should you pat him down first?

Yes, say two former investigators.

"My first question [for Dambly] would be, 'Hey, you still wearing a wire?' " said John Snedden, a former NCIS and FIS special agent who's a Penn State alum.

"Once a snitch, always a snitch," said another former investigator who worked the infamous "Dr. Snow" cocaine ring of the 1980s and said that Dambly wore a wire to get himself out of trouble with the feds.

With Dambly currently the subject of a federal subpoena in the Allentown pay-to-play corruption case, Snedden said, there are only two remaining possibilities left in the investigation where nine people have already copped pleas.

"At this stage of the investigation it is very likely that he is either THE subject or he is cooperating with the investigation," as in wearing a wire, Snedden said.

"Penn State needs to determine his specific involvement in all his alleged criminal endeavors so they can specifically identify the LOSS EXPOSURE he brings to Penn State," Snedden said.

Dambly has not responded to requests for comment about his alleged involvement in the Dr. Snow cocaine ring, and the five days in jail he spend back in 1979 as a Penn State student after he got nailed for disorderly conduct.

But Dambly is all ready for his impending coronation tomorrow as the new chairman of the Penn State board of trustees.

Meanwhile, a new arrest involving Dambly has surfaced. Dambly was arrested on May 27, 1987 and charged with driving under the influence of alcohol, driving at an unsafe speed, failure to keep right, and possession of marijuana. He was released on $500 bail.

The 1987 arrest, as well as his earlier 1979 arrest, have been expunged.

The other mystery in this latest Penn State scandal -- besides the insanity of why Penn State would want somebody with as much baggage as Dambly as the face of the franchise -- would be why The Philadelphia Inquirer is sitting on this story.

Every scrap of information your Big Trial correspondent published on Monday about Mark Dambly was in the possession of a couple of reporters at the Inquirer, but they haven't written a word. Maybe they're waiting for an editor to give them permission to write about Dambly.

After he becomes chairman of the board.

Or, maybe when the newspaper called the feds, they said, Hey, lay off our boy Mark. He's working for us again.

Posted By bigtrial.net at 1:32 PM
Trials: Penn State Election
Picky, picky, picky, let he who has not worn a wire to indict his fellow co-conspirators in a cocaine ring cast the first stone. A History like this is how one insures silence when proposing a shady deal. A unanimous vote usually follows.

I saw that article a couple days ago. I couldn't get past the headline suggesting that any progress was made. At least progress to better the university, not the BOT's self interests

Picky, picky, picky, let he who has not worn a wire to indict his fellow co-conspirators in a cocaine ring cast the first stone. A History like this is how one insures silence when proposing a shady deal. A unanimous vote usually follows.

You seem to be forgetting the transparency.

F Dambly

I wonder if he was issued a prisoner number during his jail time

Maybe once he finally leaves the board Freeh's recommendation that everyone get background checked will finally be applied to board members

And,

And,

It’s called leading.
Crown Prince Dumbly....still trying to recall his criminal past....LOL please help him Tsar Ira the Terrible.

I always love these studies that “save hundreds of millions of dollars.”
Well, if that is the case why didn’t you harvest those savings decades ago.
And very hard to prove, so just make the claim and tell everyone how great you are.

Ill make it real simple. PSU is by my swag about 15% more expensive than peers. So, cut every budget by 15% and tell those budget managers do it or else, and if those in sinecurEs don’t like it, they are welcome to leave.

Yesterday, I saw a chart that listed relative price changes over the last twenty years. Healthcare led the way with college tuition second.
These schools, with complicity from the federal government and its lending programs, have forces families into heavy student loan indebtedness which need not be. The growth in the cost of college relative to the growth in household income is obscene and extremely damaging.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT